Scholar handicaps the field.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:34:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Scholar handicaps the field.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scholar handicaps the field.  (Read 2066 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2005, 07:12:38 PM »

"There are only 35 months until the start of the presidential primary season, reminds Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia's nonpartisan Center for Politics.

So he's already dissecting the potential contenders in his Crystal Ball newsletter.

This week it was a look at the Democrats, and Sabato agrees that New York Sen. Hillary Clinton is the early frontrunner. Her pluses, he says, are her name, her fund-raising ability and her fan base in the party. Her minuses: baggage and history, Sabato says.

Then there's Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry ("almost no enthusiasm" among Democrats for a rerun, Sabato says), former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards (didn't do much for 2004 ticket, Sabato says), Virginia Gov. Mark Warner, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen, North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, Sens. Joe Biden of Delaware and Russ Feingold of Wisconsin -- and Sen. Evan Bayh of Indiana.

Bayh, of course, has deflected questions about '08 almost daily.

Sabato points to the political credentials of Bayh winning in a very Republican state, his centrist voting record, his strong family image and "warm, modest style" for television.

"But does he have the passion and commitment to win?" Sabato asks. "Can he rev up his often-bland rhetorical skills? Most of all, can he ever convince an increasingly liberal Democratic electorate to select him instead of an ideological soul mate like Hillary Clinton?"

We have 35 months to find out."

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050227/NEWS0104/502270413/1008/NEWS01
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 07:16:13 PM »

Hillary will continue to be a hawk on defense and foreign policy, rendering her NOT an ideological soulmate with the Dean wing of the party.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 07:56:55 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2005, 07:58:54 PM by nickshepDEM »

Hillary will continue to be a hawk on defense and foreign policy, rendering her NOT an ideological soulmate with the Dean wing of the party.

True. It's sad to think that JFK could not get nominated in today's Democratic Party, with his tax cuts and tough foreign policy.

He'd get my vote.  I have nothing against tax cuts. Its irresponsible tax cuts that make absoulutley no sense and serve this country no good.  Also, Im pretty pro-military and tough foreign policy myself, but in my opinion The War in Iraq has completley diverted our attention and forces away from the War on Terror.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 08:03:59 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2005, 08:06:32 PM by nickshepDEM »

But the great majority of party activists are pacifists. They'd come out in force against any candidate favoring a strong foreign policy.

I know and it sucks.  Funny you mentionall this because I was thinking today how great it would be to have a serious 2008 Democratic candidate who was a foreign policy and defense hawk.  (Hillary Clinton doesnt count)
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 08:30:37 PM »

nickshep,

Why discount Hillary?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 09:00:35 PM »

Her hawkishness is all show. Shes preparing to try and steel some moderate center-right votes in 2008.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 09:03:08 PM »

I would take Hillary over John Kerry any day, actually.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 09:11:19 PM »

I agree with Ace.  Even a Dem who only feigns a move to the right, is better than a Dem marching lock-step to the left.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 03:05:08 PM »

I agree with Ace.  Even a Dem who only feigns a move to the right, is better than a Dem marching lock-step to the left.

Deficit cut, free trade, patriot act, gay marriage, no child left behind, restricting violent videos to minors, immigrant visas, war on Iraq, war on Terrorism.
I wouldn't vote Conservatively for a lot of these things, and I am a moderate Democrat.  But Kerry did; he and I are about the same in moderacy.  Saying that he's "lock-step to the left" is incorrect, no matter how you look at his record.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 08:27:47 PM »

Kerry voted for lots of things, then just as quickly distanced himself from his own record. 

Will the REAL John Kerry please stand up?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 10:36:24 PM »

Kerry voted for lots of things, then just as quickly distanced himself from his own record. 

Will the REAL John Kerry please stand up?

Jesus, do you have to keep kicking John Kerry? The guy lost!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies