1896: Mark Twain (R) vs William Jennings Bryan (D)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:25:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  1896: Mark Twain (R) vs William Jennings Bryan (D)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1896: Mark Twain (R) vs William Jennings Bryan (D)  (Read 1876 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »

Who wins, and what does the popular/electoral vote total look like?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »

Awesome matchup. However, I have no idea what party Twain was or favored, and he seems to have mainly been on the left--civil rights, anti-imperialism, favoring unions--and whatnot. It'd be fun to see what type of support he could pick up, geographically, given his background. I'd guess the National Democrats do a bit better as well.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2013, 01:21:08 PM by lol-i-wear-hats »

Awesome matchup. However, I have no idea what party Twain was or favored, and he seems to have mainly been on the left--civil rights, anti-imperialism, favoring unions--and whatnot. It'd be fun to see what type of support he could pick up, geographically, given his background. I'd guess the National Democrats do a bit better as well.

In his autobiography, Twain indicates that he was generally a Republican in his middle age, and one of those 19th Century Radical Republicans to some extent, especially as he grew older.  There are only three people in his autobiography whom Twain paints a positive picture of- his deceased wife, his deceased daughter, and General Grant, whom he revered. All others are mercilessly skewered.

He did vote for Cleveland in 1884, joining the Mugwumps in their dissatisfaction with James G. Blaine, which caused some social discomfort for himself and the town preacher in their heavily Republican town (voting was public in 1884 Connecticut). I would be surprised (though I haven't researched) if he voted for William J. Bryan in 1896, but I wouldn't be surprised if he voted for him in 1900. He bitterly skewered Theodore Roosevelt as a war-monger, personally arrogant and rude, and deeply unpleasant, so he may well have abandoned his Republican inclinations late in life
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies