Pacific Council: Protect our forests act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:07:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Council: Protect our forests act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pacific Council: Protect our forests act  (Read 3000 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »

Section 1: Private land of less than
100 acres.

1. Landowners with rainforest on their land must preserve 80% of it.

2. Landowners with other kinds of forest on their land must preserve 50% of it.

3. Introduced and invasive species of trees are exempt from section 1 and 2, and the forest restoration act.

4. Logging of endangered species of trees is illegal.

5. Punishments for breaking section 1 will result in a fine of $1000.

Section 2: Private land of more than 100 acres.

1. The logging of rain forests is illegal.

2. The logging of endangered species of trees is illegal.

3. The logging of invasive and introduced species is encouraged.

4. Breaking section 2 will result in a fine of $10,000 per tree.

Sponsor: Politics Junkie

Discuss.
Spamage
spamage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »

Not sure what my view on this legislation is. While it has very good intentions, it seems a little vague to me. What do you guys think?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »

I agree that it could be a good piece of legislation with some work. This isn't my area of expertise, but I believe Fuzzybigfoot has something to say about it.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:12:22 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2013, 03:17:09 AM by FBF »

Not sure what my view on this legislation is. While it has very good intentions, it seems a little vague to me. What do you guys think?

It is a bit vague.  Plus, section one, clause 5 needs a bit of a vamp.  I think PJ meant to put $1000 per tree.  The way it's written now, someone could cut down their entire forest with only a $1000 fine.  

Also, it would be nice if the said fine was much larger and was accompanied with minimal jail time, as well as government seizure of the forests and their respective lands to avoid future violations.  In addition, I don't see why these penalties should be excluded from section 2, clause 4.  You should just combine the two.

And why is it completely illegal to chop down rain forests on lands of 100+ acres, but not on smaller property?  You should combine again. 

And what are the penalties for section 1, clause 4?  I see you put penalties on the logging of endangered species in section 2.  Are those supposed to be in section 1 as well?  You should have them there too.

No offense, but this bill is pretty vague as well as unorganized.  We need to start over.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »

I will be withdrawing as sponsor of this bill and starting from scratch. I apologize, as I am not yet experienced at writing bills.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »

Unless anyone wishes to claim this bill in the next 24 hours, it will be withdrawn.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »

As Politics Junkie has introduced a new bill, I will consolidate it with this one.

The New Protect Our Forests Act

Section 1: Deforestation restrictions

1. The logging of rainforest is illegal.

2. Landowners with other kinds of forest on their land must preserve 50% of it.

3. Introduced and invasive species of trees are exempt from this bill and the forest restoration act.

4. Logging of endangered species of trees is illegal.

5. The logging of invasive and introduced species of trees is encouraged.

6. Breaking section 1 will result in a fine of $10,000 per tree.

Section 2: Property distribution

1. Areas of forest that have been victim to violation of the New Protect Our Forests Act will become government property.

2. If less than 100 square acres, the land will be sold to a private individual or business for the current appraisal value and will be required to abide by this bill.

3. Corporations are not eligible to buy the aforementioned properties.

4. If more than 100 square acres, the land will be preserved, and remain property of the regional government. The land will not be developed upon.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 09:44:12 PM »

I am introducing this bill because while Atlasia does have strict environmental standards, not a lot has been done to stop deforestation. There are a few exceptions, such as the Forest Restoration act. But especially in the Pacific Region, protecting our forests is of paramount importance. Diverse habitats, such as temperate rainforests, are found in our region and can only be found in a few other places on Earth. These fragile ecosystems need to be protected for the good of the environment and the good of the Pacific. I yield the metaphorical floor.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 04:46:40 AM »

I am rather confused.

Introduced species which are endangered would be exempted, yes? I think we need a definition of terms, here. What does the law consider an introduced species?

If a single tree is cut down, the government is entitled to seize the property? That seems outrageous to me. Perhaps the "fine" section should be separate from the definition of what is illegal, so we can save such a drastic measure for someone who attempts to log privately owned rainforest or whatnot.

Why are "businesses" allowed to buy the seized lands but not "corporations?" Is a corporation not a business?

By the way, I'm attacking this bill's wording only because it's an important issue and I want to see it passed with the least loopholes possible.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »

I am rather confused.

Introduced species which are endangered would be exempted, yes? I think we need a definition of terms, here. What does the law consider an introduced species?

If a single tree is cut down, the government is entitled to seize the property? That seems outrageous to me. Perhaps the "fine" section should be separate from the definition of what is illegal, so we can save such a drastic measure for someone who attempts to log privately owned rainforest or whatnot.

Why are "businesses" allowed to buy the seized lands but not "corporations?" Is a corporation not a business?

By the way, I'm attacking this bill's wording only because it's an important issue and I want to see it passed with the least loopholes possible.
I think it is self-evident that an introduced species is one that is not native to the area and has been brought here by humans. Even if that tree is endangered where it is native, it is still doing damage to the ecosystem here.

Temperate rainforests are very rare. Other than the Pacific Northwest, they only exist in the southern tip of South America, New Zealand, and Tasmania. It is because of this that I believe a private individual or business does not have the right to log temperate rainforests. And if they do violate this, they are not to be trusted with such a fragile ecosystem.

I am worried about the effects a corporation would have on the rainforests. A corporation operating on rainforest land would inevitably bring a lot of human activity.

Btw forgot to mention this earlier but I am open to amendments on this bill as long as it keeps the general purpose of preserving our forests. Maybe you could introduce an amendment limiting the punishment for only logging a small amount. I like the bill as is, but I would still vote aye with such an amendment.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »

Proposed amendment:

Whereas, we consider the "initial state" to be the current distribution of speciation and forestry at the time of passage of this bill.

1. The logging of indigenous rainforest is illegal. Violators must pay a $10,000 fine, to be put in a special "Forester's Fund" [See Section 3]. The land is rightfully seized by the government of the Pacific Region if more than 10% of the rainforest is logged past the initial state.

2. Logging of endangered species of indigenous trees is illegal. For every endangered indigenous tree logged, a $10,000 fine is assessed toward the Forester's Fund. The land is rightfully seized by the government of the Pacific Region if more than 10% of the population of endangered indigenous species is logged past the initial state.

3. Landowners with other kinds of indigenous forest on their land must preserve 50% of the population at its initial state. For every tree logged past the 50% threshold, a $10,000 fine is assessed toward the Forester's Fund. The land is rightfully seized by the government of the Pacific Region if more than 55% of the population of indigenous forest is logged past the initial state.

4. The logging of invasive and introduced species of trees is permissible. If the introduced or invasive species trees are endangered, one indigenous species tree must be planted for every three invasive or introduced trees logged, up to the point at which the invasive or introduced population on that land is 50% its original initial state. At that point, the endangered invasive or introduced population may be logged without the requirement to plant indigenous trees, resulting in an indigenous tree population of no less than one-sixth the population of the original invasive or introduced population. If the required indigenous trees are not planted within one year, the land may become the property of the Pacific Region. However, if a "good faith" effort is made by the original property owner to meet that one-sixth threshold, the Pacific government may seize the property for only the period of time necessary to plant the trees necessary to meet that threshold, and then surrender the property ownership back to the original owner.

Section 2: Reclaimed Property

1. If less than 100 square acres, the land will be sold to a private individual or business for the current appraisal value and will be required to abide by this bill with the terms set by the initial state.

2. Corporations with environmental or logging offenses are not eligible to buy the aforementioned properties.

3. If more than 100 square acres, the land will be preserved, and remain property of the regional government. The land will not be developed upon.

Section 3: The Forester's Fund

1. The Forester's Fund will be maintained by the government of the Pacific region in order to maintain a record of the initial state of the land, to be publicized at the time of its resale and to be available as a matter of public record, a detailed in Section 2, part 1.

2. The secondary function of the Forester's Fund is for the administration of "Rainforest Rangers" to verify that property owners are not in violation of Section 1.

President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »

Now, this is a massive amendment, so feel free to tear it apart. I still tried to maintain the original bill, but I moved a lot of stuff around.

Changes are in bold.

Apologies if I overstepped my bounds by proposing these amendments.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 12:25:31 AM »

Proposed amendment:

Whereas, we consider the "initial state" to be the current distribution of speciation and forestry at the time of passage of this bill.

1. The logging of indigenous rainforest is illegal. Violators must pay a $10,000 fine, to be put in a special "Forester's Fund" [See Section 3]. The land is rightfully seized by the government of the Pacific Region if more than 10% of the rainforest is logged past the initial state.

2. Logging of endangered species of indigenous trees is illegal. For every endangered indigenous tree logged, a $10,000 fine is assessed toward the Forester's Fund. The land is rightfully seized by the government of the Pacific Region if more than 10% of the population of endangered indigenous species is logged past the initial state.

3. Landowners with other kinds of indigenous forest on their land must preserve 50% of the population at its initial state. For every tree logged past the 50% threshold, a $10,000 fine is assessed toward the Forester's Fund. The land is rightfully seized by the government of the Pacific Region if more than 55% of the population of indigenous forest is logged past the initial state.

4. The logging of invasive and introduced species of trees is permissible. If the introduced or invasive species trees are endangered, one indigenous species tree must be planted for every three invasive or introduced trees logged, up to the point at which the invasive or introduced population on that land is 50% its original initial state. At that point, the endangered invasive or introduced population may be logged without the requirement to plant indigenous trees, resulting in an indigenous tree population of no less than one-sixth the population of the original invasive or introduced population. If the required indigenous trees are not planted within one year, the land may become the property of the Pacific Region. However, if a "good faith" effort is made by the original property owner to meet that one-sixth threshold, the Pacific government may seize the property for only the period of time necessary to plant the trees necessary to meet that threshold, and then surrender the property ownership back to the original owner.

1. If less than 100 square acres, the land will be sold to a private individual or business for the current appraisal value and will be required to abide by this bill with the terms set by the initial state.

2. Corporations with environmental or logging offenses are not eligible to buy the aforementioned properties.

3. If more than 100 square acres, the land will be preserved, and remain property of the regional government. The land will not be developed upon.

1. The Forester's Fund will be maintained by the government of the Pacific region in order to maintain a record of the initial state of the land, to be publicized at the time of its resale and to be available as a matter of public record, a detailed in Section 2, part 1.

2. The secondary function of the Forester's Fund is for the administration of "Rainforest Rangers" to verify that property owners are not in violation of Section 1.

Undecided on Section 2, Clause 2, but I am satisfied with the rest of this bill. What if corporations with no violations on the book were qualified to buy forests, but not rainforests?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 02:14:55 AM »

1. If less than 100 square acres, the land will be sold to a private individual or unincorporated business for the current appraisal value and will be required to abide by this bill with the terms set relative to the initial state.

2. Corporations may not buy reclaimed rainforest, but may purchase other property with forestry if the corporation has not committed an environmental or logging offense in the past 10 years.

1. The Forester's Fund will be maintained by the government of the Pacific region in order to maintain a record of the initial state of the land, to be publicized at the time of its resale and to be available as a matter of public record, as detailed in Section 2, part 1.

PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »

"I Love It!"
              - Icona Pop
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »

"I Love It!"
              - Icona Pop
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 04:29:45 AM »

Awesome!

Can we take it to a vote?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 09:08:01 PM »

Bumpity bump bump bump

It's time to vote on this
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »

Bumpity bump bump bump

It's time to vote on this
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 02:52:14 AM »

So I take it that the amendment is friendly?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 05:04:38 AM »

He said he loves it.

Official statement: I formally present my amendments as friendly, and I hope the original author accepts them as such.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »

He said he loves it.

Official statement: I formally present my amendments as friendly, and I hope the original author accepts them as such.
I do accept it as friendly.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 02:58:25 AM »

All right, then. If there's no other debate, I'll open up a final vote soon.

My apologies for the delay; Thursday was the first day of Eid al-Fitr and naturally I have been occupied since then.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 01:42:30 AM »

Bump

Let us vote on this (inks)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix