10 Quotes That Prove Pope Francis is a Liberal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:19:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  10 Quotes That Prove Pope Francis is a Liberal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 10 Quotes That Prove Pope Francis is a Liberal  (Read 1427 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:04:37 AM »

From the National Catholic Register

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well played National Catholic Register well played. The article shows the utter tone deafness of the media when covering religion. I myself have been guilty of this Tongue. I'm starting to think the main differences between Benedict & Francis are in style; a formal introvert & an informal extrovert.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:56:18 PM »

Lolololol. Very nice, DC and the Catholic Register.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »

Quite interesting.

It is appropriate to consider, did any of Pope Benedict's words translate into action?  The Church has retained its official stance on women and it hasn't done anything, to my knowledge, to promote acceptance of homosexuals or crack down on the malice against them.

(The same could be said of Pope Francis and his rhetoric, of course, but he's still fairly fresh into his term.)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »

Calling any Pope "Liberal" would be weird at best.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »

Of course Benedict is moreso liberal than conservative by American political standards.  I don't think that anyone of any persuasion would deny that -- he and the Church are conservative on a couple of really hot-button, controversial issues, not overall.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »

That quote makes him liberal?  So conservatives don't condemn violence against homosexuals?  Not even physical violence?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:17:12 PM »

That quote makes him liberal?  So conservatives don't condemn violence against homosexuals?  Not even physical violence?

If you listen to the folks on this forum.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »

No that's part of the joke. The media is so narrative that when they hear something like that out of Francis' mouth they immediately think "CATHOLIC CHURCH LIBERALIZING!!!!" even though it's longstanding Catholic teaching.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »

Conservatives condemn violence against homosexuals when the violence gets close to home. I related a homophobic attack on me to two very different conservatives. One, an arch-conservative on economics (he believed that government should represent wealth if it is to foster the creation of wealth) saw the attack as a fundamental attack on human decency -- a threat of a violent attack, and something that would have been very wrong if I were homosexual.

One, a religious conservative, said that gays need to be straightened out so that they not perform amoral attacks -- but that a baseball bat was never going to convince anyone of the virtue of heterosexuality. Religious faith would be far more effective.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies