Maybe, Warner should run against Allen... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:11:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  Maybe, Warner should run against Allen... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maybe, Warner should run against Allen...  (Read 3922 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« on: February 28, 2005, 03:54:52 PM »
« edited: February 28, 2005, 03:56:52 PM by nickshepDEM »

A recent Emerson college poll has Warner leading 48% to 41% against incumbent George Allen.

Governor Mark Warner (D) has a decent shot at ousting US Senator George Allen (R) in 2006.  The numbers: Warner-48%, Allen-41%. A re-election defeat for Allen would certainly derail his 2008 Presidential ambitions.

http://www.politics1.com/
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 04:04:23 PM »

That's surprising, I thought a Senate matchup would produce results in the ballpark of Allen 53 Warner 47.  I also thought Kaine would be ahead of Kilgore.  Oh well, it's still almost 2 years until the Senate race and 8 months until the governor one

Yeah, 2 years is a long time away.  Still, I thought Allen was extremley popular in  VA.  I guess Warner is just as popular.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 08:27:40 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2005, 08:29:59 PM by nickshepDEM »

I think Allen is popular, but if Warner finishes his last year as Governor strong I see no reason why he wouldnt be completley neutral with Allen in a 2006 Senate race.  By the way, the thing that caught my attention was Allen isnt even within the margin of error of beating Warner.  That really suprised me.  Maybe we are overestimating Allen and underestimating Warner?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 08:40:45 PM »

Your making some good points MHS, but Warners approval ratings are hard to over look.  The one thing catches my eye about this poll is Kilgore is leading Kaine by a pretty big margin.  I figured Kaine would be leading Kilgore.  Sort of a riding on Warners coattails type of thing.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 10:30:46 AM »

Warner would be a fool to pass up this opportunity to take on George Allen -unless, of course, he is gunning for John Warner's seat once he retires in 2008.  the polls show that that is within reach of a governor as popular as he is.   

consider the fact that he will never win the Democratic Party nomination given his overly centrist views which will not play well with the Democratic Party base.  i'll be honest -i am quite happy with him as governor here within the confines of the Old Dominion, and i want him to continue serving this state as he has done so well since he was first elected in 2001.   if it were possible for him to run for a second term, i would vote for him in a heart-beat (and if i hadn't changed my voter registration in 2001, i would have voted for him then).

but if he were to run for the Democratic Party nomination for president, i will work to ensure he never gets even close to winning.  i want him to stay here in Virginia, and should he feel the need to run a national office, the Senate is the highest office he should ever run for.  he is only popular within Virginia, and he should realize that before embarassing himself in the primaries. 

He'd be a good Presidential or VP candidate.

...which he'll never get, as i explained earlier.  which is why i am advocating he run for the Senate instead. 

The base of the party was saying the same thing about Bill Clinton back in 1992.  They had a whole buffet of progressive/liberal candidates, Harkin, Brown, Tsongas.  Guess who came out on top?  That southern, centrist, Governor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies