LA-PPP: Landrieu up 10
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:19:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  LA-PPP: Landrieu up 10
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: LA-PPP: Landrieu up 10  (Read 3855 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »

Landrieu is a good fit for the state, period and she has the ability to hold the base, as well as get crossover support, which is very rare.

This is true, but Landrieu has the support of 23% of Republicans in this poll -- and she's still barely skimming the runoff line. So all Cassidy has to do to win is appeal to Republicans -- an easier task than other Republican challengers.

Plus, Louisiana trended Democratic in 2012, going R+11 down from R+13 in 2008, that means if she can have a good turnout operation, her floor is more elevated.

You're ignoring the elephant in the room, though -- R+11 is a lot.

R+11 is still less than R+13 and in this particular race, and in this particular race, the state will before more like R+5 to R+7, since ancestral Democratic support comes into the equation.

Even with the handwavium you've added it's still quite a bit.

Cassidy could close the gap by appealing to Republicans, but much of what is considered Republican support in the state isn't opposed to supporting a Democrat under certain circumstances, so it's not necessarily as simple as that.

Well, I would presume people who vote Democratic in local races wouldn't self-identify as Republican (the way there are more self-identified Democrats than Republicans in Oklahoma, for instance). We're talking about normally straight-ticket voters.

It appears this "hand waving" phrase is a new favorite of Republicans, whatever that means. I'm just point out that any trend is beneficial to Landrieu and that she will be dealing with an electorate that is much different than the presidential one, if she gets the right turnout out. I'm not guaranteeing that she'll win, but she has a lot of that could work in her favor. Now most ancestral Democrats probably wouldn't identify as Republican, but they still account for a big amount of what the GOP gets in vote margin in the state, Cassidy has to win votes like that too, not just self-identified Republicans. In 2008, Landrieu ran many points ahead of Obama in suburban New Orleans, which is where most self-identified Republicans are at, so she has a chance at maintaining some Republican support.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »

This poll also shows Obama with a 42% approval rating in Lousiana, which, when approval average of Obama is 46%, seems a bit inaccurate. Then again, I don't doubt that Landrieu is ahead at this point.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:49 PM »

This poll also shows Obama with a 42% approval rating in Lousiana, which, when approval average of Obama is 46%, seems a bit inaccurate. Then again, I don't doubt that Landrieu is ahead at this point.

Still, Romney carried this sample 55/39, which lines up about right with his actual 58/41 win.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 03:13:56 AM »

Good news. Still a long time to go however, Landrieu would probably need to avoid a run-off.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 05:20:14 AM »

I'll give Landrieu + 6 at this point considering the other two polls were (R). And because undecided voters lean republican.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »

I would think Obama's numbers would be inelastic in inelastic states in Louisiana and would account for his high floor there. The headlines are about Obama losing white working class voters in the Midwest and he never had many of them in La.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »

Still believe this is tossup/Tilt D... goes to Lean R in a runoff however.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »

Landrieu's obituary has been written every single time she's run for the Senate, yet she's won 3 terms. I suspect history will repeat itself and she will win a 4th.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »

M Foster, Jindal, and Dardenne, although Mitch too will beat Dardenne, stronger GOP runs for Gov. Landrieu leads Vitter by two and Dardenne by 10. Since Katrina no one seems to stop them. Lost only one race since then.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies