Supreme Court bans juvenile executions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Supreme Court bans juvenile executions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court bans juvenile executions  (Read 15870 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: March 01, 2005, 06:35:28 PM »

It's about time we joined the rest of the civilized world.

lets become full members and gut our military, abolish the office of president, and allow euthanasia.

The US actually has a fairly weak executive compared to European democracies.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 09:18:31 PM »

How is it that the death penalty is "cruel and unusual punishment" for a 17 year old but not for an 18 year old?

In my humble opinion because a 17 year old is not legally considered a responsible member of society while an 18 year old is.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 11:01:55 PM »

How is it that the death penalty is "cruel and unusual punishment" for a 17 year old but not for an 18 year old?

In my humble opinion because a 17 year old is not legally considered a responsible member of society while an 18 year old is.

Does the question of whether a punishment is "cruel and unusual" depend on who its applied to? Is it cruel for one person but not for another?

Sure.  Many of the things that were done in Abu Graib would not bother us in America the least, but would certainly be defined as cruel and unusual to the individuals involved.

In order to make this ruling though, one probably has to define "cruel and unusual," which might or might not include that legal distinction I made above between 18 year olds and 17 year olds.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies