2008 if Bush wins/loses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:12:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 if Bush wins/loses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 2008 if Bush wins/loses  (Read 9043 times)
ColoradoPatriot

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2004, 09:57:04 AM »

I think that McCain should run whatever the circumstances. I want him to be President in 2008 even if Kerry wins.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »

Let me throw this one out too, while I'm at it:

Jeb will never run for President.

Why do you say that?  The Bush family has already hinted around that Jeb could run in 2008.  He'd be the logical candidate to represent a 3rd term for George.

Unless Bush does a fantastic job in his second term, Jeb would never be considered.  And what are your odds of Bush going down as one of the greatest Presidents that ever lived?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2004, 10:04:26 AM »

Personally I think a lot can happen in 4 years and right now it is just WAY too early.  But I'll take my stab for fun.

IF BUSH WINS:

The Republicans will be looking for a 3rd term for Bush.  As Cheney is simply too unpopular to win, Jeb Bush becomes the logical candidate for a Bush third term.  He selects Tom Ridge as his running mate (can boast strong stand on Homeland Security, has been a Gov from a battleground state, etc.

The Democrats make the move the GOP expected this time out and nominate Hillary Clinton.  By this point she would likely be the undisputed leader of the party.  For her running mate she selects Bill Richardson (an ambitious guy who was in her husband's cabinet and who has all the right party connections.

So if Bush wins we see BUSH/RIDGE vs CLINTON/RICHARDSON.

IF KERRY WINS:

The Democrats easily nominate Kerry and Edwards for a second term.

The Republicans slide away from the Bush family and the Gingrich-esque style of candidates.  The GOP has a tradition of nominating the guy whose "turn" it is to run.  John McCain is nominated despite his advanced age.  To geographically balance the ticket, McCain selects Rudy Giuliani as his running mate.

So if Kerry wins we see KERRY/EDWARDS vs MCCAIN/GIULIANI.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2004, 10:15:05 AM »

I personally like the suggestion of Russ Feingold, but I get a feeling that he'd probably be too liberal, like Howard Dean was, to be a serious national candidate.

I don't think Feingold is any more liberal than Kerry.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2004, 10:22:57 AM »

Well, since Kerry is very liberal, Feingold is very liberal.

If Bush wins:
(R)
Pataki
Ridge
Owens
(D)
Clinton
Feingold
Richardson
Bayh

If Bush loses:
(R)
Frist
Santorum
Perry
(D)
Kerry/Edwards
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2004, 10:24:29 AM »

If Bush wins, the Democrats are going to want a real progressive or new blood so Feingold tops my list.

Feingold as Dem nominee = Republican landslide. But hey... I don't mind! Smiley

Depends on who the GOP runs... Feingold vs. Santorum would be something I would pay good money to see.
ColoradoPatriot

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2004, 10:34:45 AM »

What is the definition of liberal?

To me it is a tag wrongly used by Republicans to attack democrats to gain easy votes. Do note the far-right refer Clinton as a liberal.

If you want to attack Kerry then do so by not name calling but question his voting decisions. It is acceptable to me to change your mind but the dilemma for Kerry is how many times hes done it. Republicans like to forget that Cheney agreed with Kerry that certain weapons systems needing to be stoped after the cold war.

Kerry has a weakness and it must be exploited. His senate record must be told in a fair way. The Republicans need to be smart now and quick or the writing is on the wall for Bush.

The democrats polarised the country by their acts in Florida. It was Gores fault that democrats voted for Nadar not George Bushs. This is the same in 2004. If Bush loses Wisconsin by a few thousand and Bardanik picks up 1-2% of the vote then Bush didnt do enough to address his spending policy.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2004, 10:41:44 AM »

Personally I think a lot can happen in 4 years and right now it is just WAY too early.  But I'll take my stab for fun.

IF BUSH WINS:

The Republicans will be looking for a 3rd term for Bush.  As Cheney is simply too unpopular to win, Jeb Bush becomes the logical candidate for a Bush third term.  He selects Tom Ridge as his running mate (can boast strong stand on Homeland Security, has been a Gov from a battleground state, etc.

You know, I hope Jeb becomes the 44th President in 2008 just to piss off Michael Moore.

OTOH, I'm not sure I can take another 12 years of his whining.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2004, 05:05:11 PM »

The defintition of a liberal politician is a politician who casts votes to support leftist ideas.
Examples
Partial Birth Abortion Ban
Kerry voted no-Liberal Vote
Frist voted yes-Conservative Vote
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2004, 06:37:07 PM »

Ok here are some suggestions…

If Bush wins…

1.) Edwards/ Richardson vs. Owens/ Frist.

Edwards/ Richardson (Democratic) : 307 EV

Owens/ Frist (Republican) : 231 EV

2.) Feingold/ Richardson vs. Pataki/ Allen.

Feingold/ Richardson : 185 EV

Pataki/ Allen : 353

3.) Richardson/ Ford vs Owens/ Allen.  

Richardson/ Ford (Democratic) : 286 EV

Owens/ Allen (Republican) :  252 EV

4.) Rendell/ Landrieu vs.  Allen/ Pataki

Rendell/ Landrieu (Democratic) : 276

Allen/ Pataki (Republican) : 262

…and the race boils down to Louisiana where allegations by the GOP abound that the Democrats have used dirty tricks to swing the state for Rendell.      
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2004, 08:02:30 PM »

2008, if Nader wins. (Hey, it could happen)

(I) Ralph Nader/Peter Camejo
vs.
(D) Al Gore/Howard Dean (If we elect Nader, we'll elect Gore/Dean)
vs.
(R) Arlen Specter/Rudy Guliani(If Nader wins, Bush will have gotten 5% or so)

Specter could never win the GOP nomination for President. He is a liberal Senator who will be in his 80s when 2008 roles around.

Well, if Nader won an election, I would think the Republicans would have to nominate someone moderate the next time. I didn't consider Specter's age though...
jacob_101

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2004, 08:29:53 PM »

IF BUSH WINS:
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2004, 09:05:45 PM »

The Democratic Party is not on the verge of a "split."  If anything, in the face of a Bush victory, Democrats will scream that Kerry was too liberal, and will rush even farther towards the center.  Essentially, whichever party loses, you can be assured that their next convention will create a much more centrist platform, much to the outrage of the extremists.
RReagan4EVER
motomoto4510645106
Rookie

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2004, 01:33:44 PM »

Bush wins- Edwards/Kennedy Vs.  Rudy/Owens

Kerry Wins- Kerry/ Edwards Vs. Owens/Frist
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2004, 06:24:17 PM »

I personally like the suggestion of Russ Feingold, but I get a feeling that he'd probably be too liberal, like Howard Dean was, to be a serious national candidate.
Too liberal is understating it. He didn't earn the nickname "Pinko Russ" for nothing.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2004, 09:04:57 PM »

Edwards/Ford Jr. v. Owens/Frist
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2004, 11:33:12 PM »

Governor Rendell will probably be re-elected. PA has a tendancy to go eight years Repub, Eight years Dem. We've done it for a very long time. One thing on Rendell is, He is overweight (Like myself), and doesn't look good on camera, although his speaking is exemplary. I'm betting before the end of his term, he'll get those property tax rollbacks in, and be re-elected. I'd vote for him in my first election of eligability (Which is 2008). Besides, PA needs a chance to redeam itself after Buchanen's performance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2004, 11:42:36 PM »

Governor Rendell will probably be re-elected. PA has a tendancy to go eight years Repub, Eight years Dem. We've done it for a very long time.

That is true. We do have this pattern going. 8 years one party, 8 years another party, but I have to say I think Rendell will be defeated in 2006 and break that pattern. I have stressed before and I will continue to stress that Rendell is not the popular guy he was back in '02. Polls had him winning by 15-20 points but ended up winning by only 8 points.

Soon 2006 will role around, Rendell will have a much tougher opponent (I admire Mike Fisher. I believe he was a great AG and really deserved to be Governor but he wasn't a tough candidate back in 2002) and he will probably lose a group of voters that helped him win his first term: Republicans. While most Republicans went for the GOP candidate - Mike Fisher - two years ago, but enough of them went for Rendell and that is was key to his victory.

If Rendell does win re-election it will be by a narrow margin and I think that will end any rumors about a 2008 Presidential run

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well atleast we can agree that Buchannan was an embarresment to our state.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2004, 11:55:52 PM »

At least we agree Buchanen was a disgrace to our state. I think though that Rendell will pull it out in the end. I really had a hard time deciding who I liked better, Rendell or Fisher. I felt they both would be good. I think Rendell will get those property taxes down. It'll take some time, but, like the gambling legislation, which both candidates supported, I think he'll get it through. Well, hopefully he gets it through, cause we really need a break in Property taxes, I don't care who gets it through. Oh, did you hear the slogan that was suggested to be our new state slogan?

"Our Governor can out-eat your Governor."

I thought it was priceless.
NHPolitico

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2004, 10:07:52 AM »

If Bush loses, there will be a tack to the center. Rudy-Hagel.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies