Thread for "What If" stories.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:53:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Thread for "What If" stories.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Thread for "What If" stories.....  (Read 17490 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2004, 03:12:02 PM »
« edited: June 17, 2004, 03:12:39 PM by PBrunsel »

Herbert Hoover was sworn in as president the second time on January 20th, 1941. Former-President Franklin D. Roosevelt chose not to attend, unlike Hoover in 1933.  In his inaugural address, Hoover stated, “Peace will win the day, but we can never turn to peace when tyranny is playing the part of a murderer.” President Hoover did not want to go to war; he did not want to kill American boys on foreign soil. He chose an isolationist, Conservative, cabinet:

Secretary of State: Robert Taft of Ohio

Secretary of the Treasury: Frank Knox of Illinois

Secretary of Commerce: John W. Bricker of Ohio

Attorney General: Earl Warren of California

Secretary of the Interior: Janette Rankin of Montana

Secretary of War: Charles E. Hughes of New York

Secretary of the Navy: Alf Landon of Kansas

Secretary of Agriculture: Wendell Wilkie of New York

Secretary of Labor: Charles Curtis of Kansas

Postmaster General: Charles McNary of Oregon

President Hoover started his administration with the dismantling of the New Deal. The Supreme Court declared several aspects of the New Deal, like the WPA, unconstitutional. Hoover dismantled nearly everything in Second New Deal. He left the TVA, so the poor could have power, and Social Security, so the elderly would not go hungry or penniless. The New Deal was dead by the year 1941.

The war in Europe was a threat to Hoover, and he wanted that threat neutralized. Hoover’s way of taking care of the Nazis was known as the “Suicide Plan.” The Suicide Plan stated that the Nazi’s war on Great Britain would lead to a stalemate. With a continued stalemate, as what happened during World War I, the German sailors and soldiers would mutiny, throwing the Nazis, like the Kaiser, out of power. “WE must never go to war until we have used all weapons of peace,” Hoover told a joint session of Congress in October 1941. Hoover was a Quaker who believed in peace, and war was not a thing he wanted to be involved in. On March 7th, 1941, Hoover’s Suicide Theory would come crashing down.

The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in Hawaii on March 7th, 1941. President Hoover could not overlook the attack, and he was forced to declare war on Japan. “Yesterday, March 7th, 1941, a date witch will live in the infamy for the human race as in the anger of the American people; the United Sates of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by the naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.” Many wondered why the Japanese had attacked. The reason can be found when former President Franklin Roosevelt stopped selling scrap metal to Japan because of Japan’s invasion of China and had even stopped selling oil to any Japanese possession to stop their military. The Japanese wanted to attack in December, but the oil embargo against them made them wait until March. They also chose to wait because they knew Hoover was a pacifist and the Japanese thought he would not attack. Japan decided to attack after diplomatic relations fell through the floor.

Hoover wanted the war to end quickly. He appointed General George Marshall commander of the United States Army in the Pacific. Hoover had not forgotten how MacArthur had used bayonets and tear gas to subdue the Bonus Army. General MacArthur was appointed Governor of the Philippines by Hoover on January 23rd, 1941, but MacArthur resigned after two weeks to become Commander of U.S. Forces in Indochina, a job he would hold until his death in 1964. President Hoover and Prime Minister Churchill were not friends. In 1917 Churchill, then in Parliament, had tried to stop Hoover’s efforts in the Committee to Relive Belgium (CRB). Hoover met with Churchill in person only twice. He did have extensive telephone talks with him once every week. The first meeting was a discussion on General George S. Patton’s campaign in North Africa. The second was the installation of Dwight D. Eisenhower as Supreme Allied Commander. Eisenhower was a friend of Hoover’s since Hoover’s first term as president. He had never blamed Hoover for the Great Depression and never blamed him for the Bonus Army. Hoover approved of Operation overlord, and on June 6th, 1944, the invasion of Normandy commenced.

Before Operation Overlord ever occurred, on January 7th, 1944, First Lady Lou Hoover died of a stroke. President Hoover went into mourning for two weeks. The nation mourned the loss of the First Lady. Herbert Hoover could not mourn too long, he was soon back working 17-hour days.

In 1944 Hoover was up for reelection. He did not want to serve another term, but it seemed like he would have to due to the war. More importantly he was the only politician in Washington he knew about the atomic bomb and the Manhattan Project. He announced on June 5th, 1944, the day before D-Day, he was running for an unprecedented 3rd term. The Democrats wanted to nominate former president Franklin Roosevelt, but he said he did not want to be president again. The Democratic Convention in Chicago in July 1944 was a free for all among the candidates for the nomination. Former Agricultural Secretary Henry Wallace of Iowa entered with strong support from the Midwest. Former Vice President John Nance Garner of Texas was the front runner. Senator Claude Pepper of Florida was the progressive’s choice. Senator Alban Barley of Kentucky had support from conservatives. The Democrats finally chose John Garner for President and Henry Wallace for Vice President.

The 1944 Campaign was Hoover’s before it even started. Successes in Europe and Asia gave Hoover the confidence needed to say that the war a success. Henry Wallace was upset about the ending of several New Deal offices. He called for a massive government program that would give not only food stamps, but clothes stamps, toothpaste stamps, shoes stamps, and several other stamps that would give people common necessities. When the Communist Party endorsed the Democratic Ticket, Americans turned on Henry Wallace’s liberalism. Hoover ran on the economic success of his current administration and the victories in Europe and Asia. On Election Day Hoover won a lopsided victory:

Herbert Hoover/Thomas Dewey: 59.6% of Popular Vote; 449 Votes

John N. Garner/Henry Wallace:  40.2% of Popular Vote; 82 Electoral Votes

Others: 0.2% of Popular Vote, 0 Electoral Votes

On May 8th, 1945, Germany surrendered. Hoover was celebrating Harry S Truman’s, his chief of staffs, Birthday when Secretary of State Taft gave him the news. “Mr. President,: Truman told Hoover, ”This is the best birthday gift I was ever given by a friend.” “I hope you enjoy your gift now,” Hoover told Truman, “Since Japan is next.”

Hoover had overseen the creation of the atomic bomb since January 1941. He wanted to show a demonstration to the Japanese to make them surrender. Secretary of War Hughes talked him out of it because he said it could make the Soviet Union declare war if it is dropped near them. It would also elevate an arms race. Hoover was in favor of an invasion, until he heard from General Marshall that it could take over 1 million lives. He was advised to use the atomic bomb. “If I drop this I will kill thousands of innocent children,” Hoover told Secretary of State Taft. “But if you don’t drop it,” Taft told him, “It will cause many innocent children in America and Britain to be made orphans.” Hoover allowed the dropping of atomic bombs in August 1945 on Hiroshima. When Chief of Staff Truman gave him the report of those killed. When he saw the numbers of children killed he fell on his knees and began to cry uncontrollably. “It was the right thing to do,” Truman told Hoover. “But the slaughter of those kids is more than I can bear,” Hoover told him. Hoover would tell his friends that every night he would pray to God for forgiveness for what he had done. Hoover threatened a second bombing, and Japan surrendered aboard the U.S.S. Missouri August 7th, 1945. World War II was over.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2004, 11:13:28 PM »

Yeah PB.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2004, 12:21:33 PM »

"Hoover in 1940" is my serious timeline. I wanted to see Hoover defeat FDR and his New Deal Minions!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2004, 04:36:10 PM »

"Hoover in 1940" is my serious timeline. I wanted to see Hoover defeat FDR and his New Deal Minions!

Is Randy Jones still a principal in Alabama? Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2004, 05:14:14 PM »

Is Randy Jones still a principal in Alabama? Smiley

Yes, he never ran for president in this scenario.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2004, 05:35:19 PM »

Canada offers itself for annexation to the US, and BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick all become states. [the rest is added to other states or Nunavut territory].  There are now 60 states, and 600 representatives in Congress.

As colorful as that story is, the House will stay at 435 Representatives.  They just don't have the space for may more and except for a temporary increase after the admission of Alaska and Hawaii That number has remained constant since 1912.  Also, unless we annex the island by force, there is no way PEI would join the union as anything less than a state.

I'm sure there's room to expand somewhat.  I'm sure they'd add more representatives to the House if we made any big addition to the US.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2004, 07:37:36 PM »

By January 1946, President Herbert Hoover was tired of the presidency, but he was determined to continue this most important of jobs. He was needed to rebuild Europe. Europe was a continent that was destroyed. Germany lay in ruins. Polish children starved to death everyday. Hoover could not stand to see these innocent children starving to death because of a war declared by old men with selfish desires. “They have done nothing to deserve the conditions thrust upon them,” Hoover told Congress in his State of the Union address, “As Americans, as the Great Global peacemakers, we must now help the starving, desolate, and despaired of Europe.” Secretary of State Robert Taft would have none of it. “As Americans we must look out for Americans and Americans only,” he told Hoover. “If that is what you think,” Hoover calmly explained, “You have a two choices; dismissal or resignation.” This came like a cold slap in the face to Taft. “You are going to replace me!” Taft boomed, “You are making a mistake!” “The biggest mistake I see Mr. Taft,’ Hoover said as calm as he could, “Was that I imagined you as a good Secretary of State.” With that Taft resigned his office, but swore his revenge.

Herbert Hoover introduced his plan to relieve Europe. It was called the “Hoover Doctrine” and there had never been anything like it. He called on businesses, individual citizens, churches, schools, and towns to help relieve Europe. “It is one thing to ask Congress for help,” Hoover stated, “It is another thing to mask the nation for help.” Hoover’s plan became a boom of good works. Cities all over America gathered canned food, clothing, blankets, and anything else needed to survive. “I feel it is no understatement,” General Dwight Eisenhower said, “President Hoover has once again saved Europe through charity and not government.”

By May 20th, 1946, the 400th Ton of supplies was shipped to Europe. Hoover’s next task was appointing a new Secretary of State. Will Roger’s joked, “The new Secretary of State is Herbert Clark Hoover, as is the new Secretary of War, Attorney General, and whatever else is left.” It was not an overstatement to say Hoover could do it all himself, for he had shown that running the government is not hard, but running a country is. A mass railroad strike began in 1947. Hoover, who was not a fan of strikes, told the strikers to either get back to work, or they would be drafted. A Secretary of State was needed to help moderate an agreement between labor and business. Hoover had just the man in mind, Chief of Staff Harry S Truman. Truman accepted the position on May 30th, 1946. Hoover instructed him to work out some kind of deal to end the great strike. Truman stated that business would have to pay higher, but Unions would have to sign a deal promising not to strike until the year 1960. At first Unions and business scoffed at the proposal. “Dumbest thing I ever heard,” scoffed one Union man. Truman was persistent at it. Once Hoover’s threat of drafting looked like it would become with the passage of the Strike Act of 1946. The Strike Act stated that if a strike lasted longer than 4-months, the draft could be instated. It was currently 3 months into the strike. When business finally gave in, the unions also agreed to the terms. Hoover and Truman had solved what could have become a massive national strike that would have crippled America.

Hoover had another problem in 1946, shortages. Returning soldiers wanted cars, homes, radios, and televisions. They had to go without these things so long that now they wanted them, all at once. Hoover sent a message to Ford Automobile Company asking him to increase car production 20%. Hoover was aware that a slight inflation may happen, but only 20% would make sure it was only slight. Hoover’s handling of shortages was simply the message “Soldiers who want luxuries; Go slowly or go without.” He wanted these former soldiers to wait on luxuries until there were enough. By January 1947 shortages were down.

On November 4th, 1946, Congressional elections happened.  The Republican Party was able to keep control of Congress. Party Majorities In Congress (House + Senate) stood as:

Republican Majority

Democratic Control

*NOTE: Numbers on states are Electoral College votes of 1944, not number of seats in Congress.

The Soviet Union was causing problems for Hoover. Joseph Stalin, Soviet Dictator, would not have free elections. Hoover told Stalin while they were at a summit in Geneva, Switzerland, “Mr. Stalin, you can continue atrocities to your people and the people of Europe, and you may get away with it now, but one day you will meet Mighty God, and you will have to explain why you did these atrocities to God’s children, and you better have good answers.” With that Stalin stormed out of the room. “I never want to talk to that man again!” he boomed to an aide, “I can’t stand his ideas!” Hoover was soon scolded by newspapers saying he should have been more diplomatic. “While I deal with this dictator only the truth can be used on blind lying,” Hoover explained. “Our president is as tough as nails,” General George Patton even had to admit.

Herbert Hoover set himself up to be known as the Civil Rights president. He desegregated the armed forces in February 1948. By March 1948 the Republican Congress had passed stricter voting rights laws. Hoover had appointed record numbers of blacks to government posts. The Freedom Resolution of 1948 passed during a special session of Congress in June 1947. It stated that the U.S. Government would smile upon any state that began desegregation of schools. By “smiling” they meant they would give special aide to the states by helping them get the funds needed to build better schools. These laws enraged the South! Governor J. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina stated, “Segregation is the way of life in the South, and Northerners need to remember that. There has been no complaining here about it.” Mississippi Governor Fielding L. Wright, supported by Southern Democrats, entered the race for the Democratic Nomination in December 1947. He stated, “I want this government to listen tot the states, and not the other way around.” Hoover responded to talk he wasn’t a Conservative by saying, “Being a Conservative has nothing to do with denying people freedom.”

In 1948 Herbert Hoover was going to leave office. Although he was approached by Governor Earl Warren of California about running for a 4th term, Hoover would have none of it. “I have had enough of being president for my life,” he told Warren. Hoover endorsed Vice President Thomas Dewey for the nomination. Dewey was being challenged by now Senator Robert Taft. Although Taft and Hoover had reconciled since 1946, Taft still felt isolationism was the best way to protect America. Dewey and Taft battled each other in the primaries until the Republican Convention, July 1948 in Philadelphia. Dewey won the nomination on the 3rd Ballot, and he chose Governor Earl Warren to be his running mate. The Democrats has sided with segregationist by nominating Mississippi Governor Fielding L. Wright for President. To appease those on the left Senator Claude Pepper of Florida was chosen as Vice President. In a surprise announcement, Senator Robert Taft was to run as the candidate of the America First Party. The Progressive Democratic Senator from Idaho Glen Taylor accepted the Vice Presidential nod. The race was bitter. Wright accused Hoover of “bowing to the leftists” by desegregating the armed forces in March 1948. Taft stated that, “America is the greatest nation on earth and should not be expected to listen to the Communist chatter in the USSR and all of Eastern Europe. I stand for America First not when, not if, but always!” Hoover campaigned extensively for Vice president Dewey, and it was enough to win Dewey the votes of the African American community. Dewey was able to win, but mainly because of the segregationist nominee of the Democrats:

Thomas Dewey/Earl Warren: 46.3% of the Popular Vote; 297 Electoral

Fielding Wright/Claude Pepper: 41.3% of the Popular Vote; 171 Electoral

Robert Taft/Glen Taylor: 12.2% of the Popular Vote; 63 Electoral

Others: 0.2% of the Popular Vote, 0 Electoral

With Dewey’s Inauguration on January 20th, 1949, Hoover headed back to California. He would be discussed by historians for all time about his second try at being president. As Hoover said in his televised and radioed farewell address, “It matters not to me what historians say of my presidency, I care what they say about my character.”
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2004, 12:51:25 PM »

"Hoover in 1940" is done now. So...

THE END

Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2004, 01:01:44 PM »

THE END

Good job PBrunsel
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2004, 01:03:12 PM »

THE END

PBrunsel for President Cheesy
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2004, 08:21:13 PM »

BUMP

I do not want all the hard work put into this thread by many posters to be forgotten. I love all the stories written in this thread. I re-read them all the time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies