SENATE BILL: Paid Leave Act of 2013 (Presidential Redraft Adopted - Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:41:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Paid Leave Act of 2013 (Presidential Redraft Adopted - Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Paid Leave Act of 2013 (Presidential Redraft Adopted - Law'd)  (Read 2606 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »

I am voting nay. It is better than the original proposal but still a bit too much.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »

I am voting nay. It is better than the original proposal but still a bit too much.

>amends a bill significantly
>votes against it

I'm going to keep introducing this ball until it passes, FTR. Love how all you Feds are hopping to cut taxes for rich people and not a one of you will even consider helping out sick workers or young mothers.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »

>votes against it

I'm going to keep introducing this ball until it passes, FTR. Love how all you Feds are hopping to cut taxes for rich people and not a one of you will even consider helping out sick workers or young mothers.

I thought you said we were the Federalist Rich Mans Party!

Anyways, have fun with the "Repeal Obamacare" tactic.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 05:45:01 PM »

>votes against it

Yeah, it's my fault. I should have amended it to my full liking, and then I would have voted yes on it. I didn't, because I assumed it would pass anyways and this version would be better than what you originally proposed. Seeing there was more of an opposition, I think we can do better. I would get rid of the entire long term leave part and lessen the number of paid sick days as well.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 08:53:24 PM »

Yea
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »

Glad to have your support, comrade. I think that gives us a tie.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »

Yeah this is in DemPGH's hands.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »

Now wait. Is the final text under 57:04? I don't see anything labeled final text. I just want to know for sure so I know what I'm voting on.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »

Now wait. Is the final text under 57:04? I don't see anything labeled final text. I just want to know for sure so I know what I'm voting on.
It's the OP.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »

It's the OP.

No, Sbane's amendment was adopted! The OP doesn't reflect that!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »

Yeah, I'm treating the last full text as the final text.

Just an update: I'm talking this over with the President at the moment. Just hang tight and we'll get it wrapped up ASAP. I have a few concerns, maybe a few things that could be pared back, but given the choice I'd rather have it than not have it. So that's all I'll say now.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 06:56:12 PM »

Yeah, I'm treating the last full text as the final text.

Just an update: I'm talking this over with the President at the moment. Just hang tight and we'll get it wrapped up ASAP. I have a few concerns, maybe a few things that could be pared back, but given the choice I'd rather have it than not have it. So that's all I'll say now.

There is actually a lot of good stuff in the bill such as the parental leave and educational leave. Some of the stuff like the long service lead should be cut back or just eliminated though. Also the paid sick leave seems to be a little long....that would really hurt businesses I think, although some level of paid sick leave is of course needed. I hope the administration gets back to us with a more watered down proposal we can all be happy with. And my apologies for not doing so to begin with.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »

Since the amendment was right before the final vote and normally final votes are just votes and processing them, I didn't think it would be necessary repost and such until it was over. An all first page thread like it was then, such was hardly an onerous imposition on the members and I was also in one hell of hurry when I started the vote.

Also, I look forward to supporting such a redraft depending on the numbers included.

Vote on Final Passage of the Paid Leave Act:

Aye (5): Bore, Gass3268, Napoleon, TNF and Xahar
NAy (5): Maxwell, NC Yankee, sbane, TJ in Cleve and Tmthforu94
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

With time having expired and the vote being tied, we are waiting on the VP to break the tie.

Also, Mr. VP, remmeber you can end this vote once you break it and present it to the President to save a step if I am not on the internet at that time, especially if redraft is the way this is going.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 10:22:58 PM »

The vote is affirmative.

So it passes 6-5, and President Nix will be presenting a redraft in the near future. Smiley

I found the 400 days parental leave to be really in excess (the UK is extremely liberal in allowing a little over 200 days, from what I learned) and the long service leave or extra vacation at 5 years is more than excessive. Just FTR, those are points I thought worthy of a second look.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »

And ftr, I fully support the rewrite - Nix did a fabulous job if nothing else than to give a great starting point for wrapping it up.

I was critical about a couple things, but let me also say that I think the bill does a lot of good and the spirit of it is something I fully endorse. Relevant continued education is a real highlight - I would even support non-relevant continued education, provided it was academic and / or accredited.

I also have no issues with a lot of sick leave because you never know about illnesses and recurring problems.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »

I fully support the redraft of the bill and ask the Senate to vote in favor of it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »

Any objections here? I don't want to supersede Yankee, but I'd like to get it to a final vote soon.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »

Mr. VP, the next step is vote on the redraft once TNF has okayed it, just like the one two weeks ago. Don't worry about superceding, you are the top man not me. Just get the job done. Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

bold = Stage 1
italics = Stage 2

Stage 1:
Senator Napoleon TNF, you may file a motion to approve the redraft by a simple majority vote or withdraw the bill.

If you choose the former and the redraft is rejected, you will have opportunity in stage two to resume debate or send the original version back to the President.

Whats it going to be?

I fully support the redraft of the bill and ask the Senate to vote in favor of it.

A vote is now open on the President's redraft, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »

Aye. I can support this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »

Nay

I appreciate the Presidents changes, and this will probably make it through anyway, but I am still against this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »

Its better to be sure, but I need to reflect some on it. Some of the numbers a bit high though not as bad, and I would worry about employers finding ways around this at the expense of a employee's job, since large portions are connected with duration of employment.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »

A symbolic Nay

I appreciate that the President offered an alternate proposal, but I still believe this legislation steps too far into the private sector and could be counterproductive.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »

This ends on Friday. Get voting people!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies