Starbucks vs. Dunkin Donuts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:55:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Starbucks vs. Dunkin Donuts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ...
Starbucks

Dunkin Donuts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Starbucks vs. Dunkin Donuts  (Read 11222 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »

Discuss with maps.

Dunkin Donuts.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »

Starbucks, easily.  Duh.  (No maps normal)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »

Dunkin Donuts.

Here is a map showing a red dot for Dunkin Donut locations.

Here are the Starbucks locations.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:25:37 PM »

WI: Tim Horton's
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »

Dunkin Donuts.

That map is... not right at all.  I promise you there is more than one Dunkin in the NYC metro.

I wonder if they are excluding all the colocated Dunkin/Baskin Robbins locations (which most of the NYC-area Dunkins are)... but I'm pretty sure even that doesn't explain it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2013, 12:40:47 PM by angus »

One in the entire state of california as well.  I just googled "dunkin philadelphia" and zoomed out all the way.  If I google "dunkin philadelphia" and zoom out only a little and scroll northeastward, I get this:

Of course if I go to the Dunkin Donuts website store locator feature then I can see, for example, that there are 21 stores within a one mile radius of zip code 10019.  Also, I get 21 little maps.  Smiley
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »

One in the entire state of california as well.  I just googled "dunkin philadelphia" and zoomed out all the way.  If I google "dunkin philadelphia" and zoom out only a little and scroll northeastward, I get this:

That's better.

Actually, I've heard that Dunkin' basically isn't in California (they withdrew just about all of their stores there a decade or so ago), so I didn't question that part of the map.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »

I can confirm that there are zero Dunkin Donut stores within a 50-mile radius of 90210. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »

I can confirm that there are zero Dunkin Donut stores within a 50-mile radius of 90210. 

Latte libruls can't be seen at a Dunkin Donuts, angus.  Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »

I guess I don't much care for milk or sugar or any of that other stuff in my coffee, and I'm not in the store long enough to worry about being seen there, so the taste of the coffee itself is a bigger consideration.

I also just learned that there are six within a five-mile radius of my own zip code, although I have only been to one of them.  There was an ad about a year ago with a coupon for a 99c 16-ounce plastic coffee cup, then you bring the coffee cup back and they refill it for 99c (plus tax) each time, which is $1.05 in my area.  Once per week, each Thursday, I had to be at work at 8AM and had no time to make coffee in my office, so once a week I'd take a nickel with me and my cup to Dunkin Donuts.  I never paid attention to the expiration date on the cup, with was apparently December 31.  Then, sometime around February I brought the cup back, along with one dollar and one nickel and ordered a 16-ounce coffee, and it came to $1.88 or something like that.  I was very embarrassed as I only had a dollar and a nickel.  They were nice about it and gave me the coffee for a dollar and a nickel.  Later that week I felt guilty and brought them 83 cents, but I haven't been back since.  I like Dunkin Donuts coffee enough to pay a dollar and a nickel for it, but not enough to pay a dollar and eighty-eight cents for it.  I don't like Starbucks coffee at all, so its price is irrelevant.  

I have since discovered a branch of my bank that has really good coffee all the time.  Moreover, it's free, it's fast, and it's fresh.  You put a little plastic cup of coffee in a press pull the handle down, put a paper cup under it, and push a blue button.  It's extremely environmentally unfriendly, though, as it generates huge volumes of plastic trash.  Still, the free and delicious factors outweigh other considerations.  

Mostly I just drink coffee that I make at home or in my office.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2013, 01:24:13 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Dunkin' Donuts.  Starbucks is much too left-wing and grossly overrated (not to mention overpriced.) 

Interesting fact: there used to be a Dunkin Donuts in the 7-Eleven in my hometown, but it closed years ago, and I don't think there are any more near me.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »

Dunkin Donuts.

That map is... not right at all.  I promise you there is more than one Dunkin in the NYC metro.

I wonder if they are excluding all the colocated Dunkin/Baskin Robbins locations (which most of the NYC-area Dunkins are)... but I'm pretty sure even that doesn't explain it.

There are also way more than 3 in Vermont. Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »

Starbucks (fan of coffee that doesn't taste like warm, bitter water)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 01:53:32 PM »

Don't drink coffee, so I picked Dunkin Donuts. Besides, I've only been inside Starbucks once and the barista's seem to really expect you to know what you want rather than looking at the menu of what kind of stuff they have besides coffee, so I didn't enjoy my single experience there. I'll take donuts and a glass of milk.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »

Starbucks. 
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »

I enjoy Starbucks occasionally, but if I have to rely on only one daily, it would have to be Dunkin. Cheaper, much easier to order, and I find their coffee delicious if you know what to get.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »

I think Dunkin's coffee is tasteless, personally.  They do have a much better selection of munchables though.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 02:06:12 PM »

neither (normal)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »

While I prefer local roastery type places (they have really good, really fresh regional coffees that have amazing flavor), I would say Starbucks. I always say I'm going to try DD but never do.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »

Anyway, Dunkin's coffee is actually okay (nothing special but fine for everyday), but they tend to ruin it by assuming you want it "regular"/"light and sweet" with obscene amounts of cream and sugar.  Starbucks is overpriced but I appreciate the dependability of their WiFi if I'm in an unfamiliar locale and want to check the web.

I tend to make most of my coffee at home these days*, and if I'm going to a cafe I'd rather it be some local-schmocal place.

*Right now, I'm rolling with the blackwater budget choice:

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 03:07:04 PM »

Both have terrible coffee.  But, have to go with Starbucks because at least you can get an Americano or a shot of espresso which is more difficult to completely ruin. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »

I have 3 DD and 1 SB in my town. They appeal at different times. For a Saturday morning at home or breakfast meeting I like DD. For a midday snack or place to chat I tend towards SB.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »

Latte libruls can't be seen at a Dunkin Donuts, angus.  Tongue

And gay buffed old men.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »

I think Dunkin's coffee is tasteless, personally.  They do have a much better selection of munchables though.

I guess I've only ever had their coffee at two stores.  One in Boston and the one I mentioned in Lancaster.  Both of those do make good coffee.  I've tried two Starbucks as well, one in Dallas and one in Boston, and both times the coffee had that grassy Salvadorian flavor which I don't care for.  Maybe it was bad luck.

I can't vouch for munchables at either place, since I haven't tried any of them.  If I'm to cheap to pay 2 dollars for a cup of joe, then I'm way to cheap to pay 2 dollars for a bagel, and that's probably the only item on the food menu of either of those establishments that might hold any appeal.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »

Well, obviously both suck.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies