Favorite Sen. Robert KKK Byrd Quote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:24:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Favorite Sen. Robert KKK Byrd Quote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which is your favorite Sen. Byrd quote?
Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Favorite Sen. Robert KKK Byrd Quote  (Read 8571 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2005, 01:52:37 AM »

As much as you Republicans are complaining about Byrd, how come you don't complain about Trent "Sheets" Lott, who never did renounce his own racism?

maybe because no one really cares what he says about Strom Thurmond. Personally, I think he was right on target with his statements.
Are you serious?!

are you?

So you think the country would be better if Thurmond won his Presidential bid in 1948 & kept segregation going??

Yes, segregation came to an immediate end with Trumans re-election. ok, sure.

It came with an end to a concept, known as "States Rights".

No, States Rights is granted in the 10th Amendment. Glad to see you don't believe in the constitution you commie.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 01:54:23 AM »

As much as you Republicans are complaining about Byrd, how come you don't complain about Trent "Sheets" Lott, who never did renounce his own racism?

maybe because no one really cares what he says about Strom Thurmond. Personally, I think he was right on target with his statements.
Are you serious?!

are you?

So you think the country would be better if Thurmond won his Presidential bid in 1948 & kept segregation going??

No, States Rights is granted in the 10th Amendment. Glad to see you don't believe in the constitution you commie.

Well, I lost  faith in the 10th ammendment, when states like yours used to segregate people.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2005, 02:03:17 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

Well, I lost  faith in the 10th ammendment, when states like yours used to segregate people.

When you decide to actually pick up a history book you will find out that states outside the south actually did have segregation as well.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2005, 02:04:10 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

Did I say it did???  Thurmond ran on the SOLE PLATFORM of preserving sgregation,   That is what Lott praised, Thurmond's views on segregation.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2005, 02:04:35 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

That concept isn't gone; many States' Righters today are Libertarians.  It's just the racist motivation behind States Rights that is now (for the most part) gone.  Any further discussion of this would be beating a dead horse.

And I like Byrd.  He was right about white ns.  There are plenty of them here, believe me.  (I may get boiled in hot water for that statement, but oh well.)

What's wrong w/acknowledging the fact that the states are supposed to actually have power as intended by the founders?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2005, 02:04:42 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

Well, I lost  faith in the 10th ammendment, when states like yours used to segregate people.

When you decide to actually pick up a history book you will find out that states outside the south actually did have segregation as well.

California wasn't one of them.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2005, 02:05:28 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

Did I say it did???  Thurmond ran on the SOLE PLATFORM of preserving sgregation,   That is what Lott praised, Thurmond's views on segregation.

Thats wrong of course. IF you actually listened to what he was talking about you would know he was referring to Stroms stance on national defense. Which for one, I strongly agree with.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2005, 02:06:34 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

California wasn't one of them.

Sorry to burst your bubble but IIRC California did have regulations on schooling in regards to race.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2005, 02:07:52 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

Thats wrong of course. IF you actually listened to what he was talking about you would know he was referring to Stroms stance on national defense. Which for one, I strongly agree with.

Then why didn't he bring up his Senate record??  Why did he refer to his Presidential bid in which the only platform Thurmond ran under was segregation??? 
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2005, 02:08:11 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2005, 02:11:14 AM by New Left Marxist »

Are you serious?!

are you?

That concept isn't gone; many States' Righters today are Libertarians.  It's just the racist motivation behind States Rights that is now (for the most part) gone.  Any further discussion of this would be beating a dead horse.

And I like Byrd.  He was right about white ns.  There are plenty of them here, believe me.  (I may get boiled in hot water for that statement, but oh well.)

What's wrong w/acknowledging the fact that the states are supposed to actually have power as intended by the founders?

The Founding Fathers are, wait for it, DEAD. They have been for quite a few years, two hundred at least. They had some great vision and impetus for their time; however, they presided over the formation of what was originally a stopgap Constitution (it was, by the way) for a globally near-irrelevant coastal agrarian nation of four million people. In addition, they held slaves, relegated their wives to a second-class status, and had no problem devising methods by which to help ensure that only the wealthiest classes had true power.

Times have changed in the intervening 230 years. If you don't think things can change in 230 years, then I'm afraid we can't yet forgive Germany for murdering six million Jews (or, rather, we can't even acknowledge that Otto von Bismarck united the German nation in the first place, or that France and England aren't monarchies anymore, or that Japan is no longer an isolationsit country, or that this messageboard even exists).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2005, 02:11:10 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

Then why didn't he bring up his Senate record??  Why did he refer to his Presidential bid in which the only platform Thurmond ran under was segregation??? 

The Democrats were still pandering to segregationists in 48. But national defense was a hot topic at that period in time and some people in the Democratic party felt that Truman was not tough enough on national defense. And yes, this was still a point in history when the Democrats actually cared about defending America, before the hippie America haters took over.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2005, 02:14:11 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

The Democrats were still pandering to segregationists in 48. But national defense was a hot topic at that period in time and some people in the Democratic party felt that Truman was not tough enough on national defense. And yes, this was still a point in history when the Democrats actually cared about defending America, before the hippie America haters took over.

& Thurmond didn't run on National Defese he ran on SEGREGATION
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2005, 02:19:21 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

That was one aspect of his campaign. But not his sole platform.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2005, 02:22:42 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

That was one aspect of his campaign. But not his sole platform.

It was BY FAR the biggest aspect of his campaign
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2005, 02:23:29 AM »

Poor Robert Byrd; he's at fault for another great Strom Thurmond debate ...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2005, 02:29:40 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2005, 02:32:00 AM by Frodo »

i take it the only reason why Robert Byrd is being bashed here is that he is one of the few former segregationists who ain't dead yet (never mind the fact that he has since recanted).  why isn't anyone taking down the quotes of Strom Thurmond, or Jesse Helms here so we could bash them? what about George C. Wallace?  or David Duke? 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2005, 02:42:48 AM »

I don't know why everyone hates Bryd. Sure, he's made some racist comments. So what? He's apologized.

I find Byrd to be absolutely hilarious. Ever watch him make a speech in congress? His mumbling and drooling is quite entertaining.

great, so now you're bashing senior citizens -he is 87 years old, give him a break.  he has a long record of public service which has consumed half of his entire life.  i'd like to see you doing any better when you reach his age.  tell me, do you make fun of your grandparents? 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2005, 02:45:17 AM »

I like him, but then again Ive always been a sucker for the honest ones.

edit:  I dont mean I support his racist remarks, but I do support the fact that he doesnt watter down or sugar coat his comments.

I agree with him about the white ns.

I'm tired of seeing stupid suburban white teenagers stealing black culture and making it their own -- I'm not sure if thats what he was referring to (who the hell knows what he was talking about) but oh well.

so i take it you're disapproving of jazz and rock n' roll, for the white teenagers of that period were as 'white n' in their day as many are today.  what do you want here?  racial as well as cultural separation? 
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2005, 02:49:02 AM »

edit:  I dont mean I support his racist remarks, but I do support the fact that he doesnt watter down or sugar coat his comments.

I'm tired of seeing stupid suburban white teenagers stealing black culture and making it their own -- I'm not sure if thats what he was referring to (who the hell knows what he was talking about) but oh well.

so i take it you're disapproving of jazz and rock n' roll, for the white teenagers of that period were as 'white n' in their day as many are today.  what do you want here?  racial as well as cultural separation? 

You're dead wrong here. "Whiggers", as I shall henceforth refer to them as, are typically uneducated white trash, frequently high school dropouts, and want to be thugs. If that's the kind of "culture" you approve of, I'd hate to see what you don't like!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2005, 02:51:39 AM »

i take it the only reason why Robert Byrd is being bashed here is that he is one of the few former segregationists who ain't dead yet (never mind the fact that he has since recanted).  why isn't anyone taking down the quotes of Strom Thurmond, or Jesse Helms here so we could bash them? what about George C. Wallace?  or David Duke? 
Jesse Helms was a segregationist?  I knew he was a fierce tobacco-obsessed conservative, but I know nothing of his racist past.  Care to enlighten me?

I think there's more than enough about Strom Thurmond being said; Wallace apologized and later became a civil rights advocate; David Duke... what else can be said?  He's a white supremacist wacko nutjob.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2005, 02:55:20 AM »

You're dead wrong here. "Whiggers", as I shall henceforth refer to them as, are typically uneducated white trash, frequently high school dropouts, and want to be thugs. If that's the kind of "culture" you approve of, I'd hate to see what you don't like!

whom are you referring to here?  Eminem?  i had in mind cultural artists.   
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2005, 02:58:23 AM »

I'm talking about actual whiggers. I want to know what you mean by "cultural artists".
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2005, 03:15:40 AM »

I'm talking about actual whiggers. I want to know what you mean by "cultural artists".

didn't i just give you an example?  Eminem is one of the best examples of this current generation to bridge the divide between white and black by adopting rap and hip-hop and making it his own.  Elvis Presley was one of the first rock n' roll artists -and rock n' roll has its origins with black gospel music.  it was frowned upon by the censors of that time because it was seen as sexually promiscuous (you ever seen Presley dance?), and sexual promiscuity was commonly associated with black people at that time period, while whites were supposed to be a step above them. 

i don't see what the big deal is with rebellious white teenagers adopting black cultural icons, whether in music or in fashion -so what the hell is your problem?   
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2005, 03:57:50 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2005, 04:00:40 AM by Frodo »

Jesse Helms was a segregationist?  I knew he was a fierce tobacco-obsessed conservative, but I know nothing of his racist past.  Care to enlighten me?

as a radio personality on WRAL and as Senator, he made a name for himself exploiting the fears of the white working class in North Carolina by directing their resentments towards blacks -you are aware of his affirmative action ads that sealed his victory over all his opponents, aren't you? i am surprised this isn't common knowledge -Jesse Helms was your quintessential southern Dixiecrat-turned-Republican who stoked racial fears to enable him to win race after race as Senator since he first won the seat in 1972.  when that no longer became fashionable, he turned his attention against gays and lesbians.  he was notorious for it -so much so that each race he won was by narrow margins. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

so since we aren't bashing either Thurmond or Wallace for being segregationists in their younger years, why are we still bashing Byrd? 
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2005, 04:07:35 AM »

They don't call him Trent "Sheets" Lott for nothing.

No.  They don't call him that at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies