The Planet Corporation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:08:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Planet Corporation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: The Planet Corporation  (Read 12773 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2005, 01:08:40 AM »

July 20, 2005

DOW Rising Again[/size]
Economy on Temporary Rebound
By Lois Lane[/b]

NEW YORK-- In spite of serious inflation fears (the 3.6% rate from June is expected to top 4% next month) the stock market seems to be growing at a healthy rate.

The DOW Jones Inddustrial Average closed yesterday at 7,781, inching closer to the Treasury Department's goal of 8,500 it has hoped to achieve with lowering interest rates.

WMS Gets First Big Prize[/size]
Somaliland Chooses Leader In Free Election
By Jimmy Olsen[/b]

BERBERA-- I can't believe I have to file a story from Somaliland.  I should've taken a job in the damn style section.  Sigh.

Prime Minister Muhammad Ibrahim Egal has been elected by Clan Elders in an election yesterday.  Egal has been Prime Minister of the unrecognized government for 12 years, he was elected in 1993 and 1997 by the same method employed yesterday.  The Free Somaliland, pictured below, now begins its journey to nationhood, and has applied (and will almost certainly receive) membership in the United Nations, though the transitional government in Mogadishu will protest.

Puntland has also called for its independence to be recognized, but no word has yet come out of Nyman about this request.

The free election of Mr. Egal has to be the first feather in the cap of Secretary of State WMS, who has long pushed for Somliland's independence.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2005, 12:48:16 AM »

Planet Poll Results

In unopposed Senate races, Gabu in D5 and Defarge in D1 seem to have comforatble levels of support over NOTA.  In the other race with only one announced candidate, LiberalPA has 4 of 6 voters behind him against NOTA.  This indicates that he would face a difficult battle if challenged.

In the D3 race, PBrunsel has 4 votes to Fritz's 3.  His narrow lead is indicative of what all have thought to be a tight race going in.

In D4, the wide open race down south, we got a sample of 14 voters.  Ben Meyers and Ernest had 4 each, Harry and MHS2002 had 3 each, and Bono had none.  This race is expected to be the most exciting of the season, and it is not disappointing so far.

In Governor's races, Cosmo Kramer has a 6 to 5 lead over Dubya.  John Ford has a 5 to 3 lead over Immy.  In Lt. Governor's races, Goldwater has a 5 to 4 lead over True Democrat and Hobbes has one vote.  Q has a 9 to 3 lead over BrandonH for SE Lt. Governor.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2005, 09:56:40 PM »

July 27, 2005

Senate Expels FuturePrez[/size]
Flagrant Inactivity The Cause
By Clark Kent[/b]

NYMAN-- The Senate expelled a member for only the second time in its history on Wednesday b removing Senator FuturePrez (U-AZ) who briefly represented the Pacific Region.  The Senator showed up for only one of his 27 days in office, to cast votes in confirmation hearings where the outcome had already been decided.  He participated in no votes and has been absent now for 11 consecutive days.  It is not even known if he is aware of his expulsion.

Governor Wildcard will appoint the replacement Senator in accord with the Second Atlasian Constitution (We all assume that anyway, no one can actually look that up in the Constitution since the Wiki is down Tongue).  It is widely expected that Wildcard will appont True Democrat as Senator, the Union Party member who lost the June Senate election to FuturePrez by only one vote.

Liquidity Trap?[/size]
Economy Still Worrisome
By Lois Lane[/b]

NEW YORK-- With the DOW Jones Industrial Average closing Wednesday at 7,951, the economy seems to have forgotten about its darkest days in recent memory.  But could darker days be just down the road?

In 1990, a modern industrial nation sufferred an unprecedented drop in asset prices and tried to fix the situation by cutting interest rates.  They found themselves in what economists came to call a liquidity trap, when interest rates become an effective brake on an economy but an ineffective stimulant.  Thing of fly fishing.  You can pull the fly in towards you easily, but you cannot push it away because the string the fly is on does not push as well as it pulls.  Years of low interest rates prevented this country from recovering through monetary policy.  This country is Japan, and it has still not fully recovered.

Today, the US has had historically low interest rates since 2002.  Today, we are in what many think is an asset bubble ready to burst, real estate namely.  Wages since 2000 have been virtually flat since 2000, but inflation in real estate values has been 25% in some high value metro areas like Las Vegas and Phoenix.  How long can these high prices continue, and what is the fallout for Atlasians for whom the majority of their net assets are tied up in their homes if the bubble bursts?  With such low interest rates for so long, how will the government deal a collapse of real estate prices if interest rates become an ineffectual tool?

Talk of interest rates and inflation may seem to academic for some, but it will become very real when people start losing 25-50% of their net worth overnight in a real estate crash and wake up to double digit inflation rates from an overheated money supply.

Then again, maybe the DOW will keep rising, home values will level off, inflation will stay low, and all of this will seem a very silly concern.  But it is a thought worth mentioning six days from the next release of economic figures.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2005, 02:45:58 PM »

July 30, 2005

Interest Rates Hiked[/size]
Supersoulty Responding to Bubble Fears
By Lois Lane[/b]

NEW YORK-- In response to fears of a housing bubble and inflation, the Treasury Department has increased the Fed funds rate to 2.25%, up 25 basis points.  This still sets interest rates at among the lowest levels on record.  The only time since World War II that rates have been lower was the 2% rate right before this recent hike.

While no one is concerned with having 1970s style interest rates any time soon, when rates were five times what they are today, there are worries that changes in interest rates are appearing suddenly, unlike the Fed which would set a regular date for announcements about interest rates.

Bomb Blast in Baghdad[/size]
Situation Has deteriorated since April
By Jimmy Olsen[/b]

MOSUL-- 25 people were killed today, mostly police recruits, when a suicide bomber struck this recruiting station.  Iraqi police have taken an increasing number of causalties as their purpose in Iraq expands.  Iraqi forces now take the bulk of losses in Iraq.  US casualties in July were only 41, the lowest figure since March of this year.

After the fall of Fallujah through April of 2005, US casualties fell to lower levels.  Since April, casualties rose through June.  In July, though, their have been far fewer US casualties.  If this keeps up, it may mean that the insurgents have exhausted themselves and cannot maintain the tempo they set the last two months.  If it proves to be short lived, the coalition may have to adopt a new strategy to contain the insurgency.  Only time will tell.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2005, 04:40:59 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2005, 03:02:08 PM by John Ford »

August 1, 2005

New Economic Data Mixed[/size]
Good News Mixes With Bad
By Lois Lane[/b]

NEW YORK-- There is new economic data, as it is every 1st of the month.  The news is mixed.

First the good news.  The DOW closed Friday at just over 8,000 for the first time since early June.  Unemployment fell to 5.9%, back to the level measured on June 1.  The GDP grew by 1.1%, bringing the years annualized rate into (barely) positive territory.  GDP was boosted by strong investment spending and a growing equities market.

The bad news next.  Inflation is at its highest level since 1991.  It rose 0.2% to 3.8% this month.  Concerns still ferment about an ongoing housing bubble and energy prices that seem out of anyone's control.  US consumers look forward to progress in the oil sands negotiations that wills ecure a long term deal to buy oil below market value, but Canada seems intent on extracting a stiff price for that oil.

Ongoing problems are ongoing.  Some stats are good, some are bad.  Hey, after what Atlasia has been through, this month's data, while imperfect, is like a thousand dead lawyers at the bottom of the sea: A good start.

The Beltway Beat[/size]
What Day Is It?
By Ron Troupe[/b]

NYMAN-- I've been in Las Vegas for some time, and I'm not sure what day it is.  I think its Thursday, but that's just a wild guess.  In any case.

I got a message on my answering machine from a prominent public figure.  He says that I should keep his name anonymous, but that no one should be shocked to see him enter the Senate race in District 2.  He says a lot of LiberalPA's backers are not happy with some of his recent comments and want a new candidate to back.

I also got a message on my machine from this stripper named Misty who says if she finds me in the bushes outside her house again, she's going to get a restraining order against me.  Women are so touchy.  Take some mydol already.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2005, 02:40:55 AM »

August 12, 2005

Senate Approves New Energy Plan[/size]
Some Oil Exporters Grumble
By Clark Kent[/b]

NYMAN-- The Senate has approved Treasury Secretary Supersoulty's signature initiative without significant objection.  The plan would send American money to develop Candian oil fields in exchange for below market oil being sent to the US.

The oil in question is the now famous oil sands in Alberta, where the oil is mixed with sand and gravel, and therefore poses a unique challenge to those trying to extract it.  There may be 1.6 billion barrels worth of oil in the area, making Canada's oil sands the largest reserve of oil of any field in the world.

It did not take long before Venezuela's leader, Hugo Chavez, accused America and Canada of giving each other preferential treatment as part of their "neoliberal plot" to dominate the western hemisphere.  Chavez promised to challenge the legality of the plan before the World Trade Organization on grounds that Canada's sale of oil to the US below market value distorts free trade.  This is the most ironic thing that has ever happenned to Atlasia.  Hugo Chavez is complaining about infringments on free trade and going to the WTO to do it!

Notice of Absence[/size]
Vacation for John Ford
By John Ford[/b]

LOS ANGELES-- I am notifying Atlasia that I'll be on vacation from August 13-21.  I'll be flying to Miami where my family and I will board a cruise to the eastern Caribbean, stopping in Grand Cayman, Belize, and the Yucatan.  I may or may not have internet access at this time, and I will certainly have limited access to the news.

I will not be spending much time at all on the Forum as a result of this.

In my role as GM, I need to be fairly active.  As you all know, I'm running for Governor and have asked the President to take time to select a replacement.  If he has one, he should feel free to name that person and have that person take over the job of GM at their convenience, and I will step down ending my tenure here.

I have greatly enjoyed my time here, managing the news, and hope that people found my performance satisfactory, and I hope that my successors will have great luck.

Since I will almost certainly miss the upcoming elections, I'd like to cast my absentee ballot.  I will vote for John Ford for Governor, Robert Goldwater for Lt. Governor, and Gabu for D5 Senator.  If there is a procedural inadequacy to voting here, please tell me so I can follow proper procedures.  With the Wiki still down, I've had trouble finding some of these technical things.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2005, 11:22:48 AM »

Since I will almost certainly miss the upcoming elections, I'd like to cast my absentee ballot. I will vote for John Ford for Governor, Robert Goldwater for Lt. Governor, and Gabu for D5 Senator. If there is a procedural inadequacy to voting here, please tell me so I can follow proper procedures.

I don't believe there is, but I"m sure someone will prove me wrong Grin

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Amen to that, brother Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2005, 01:28:01 PM »

Well, if Mr. Chavez likes, he can reduce the price of his own countries oil exports, that way everything will be fair and square.

Anyway, since the presence of more oil in the market will eventually drive the price down, and we are paying compensation to the oil companies, I hardly see how he has much of a leg to stand on.  He is just angry, because now he will have to compete for our attention.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2005, 01:30:32 PM »

If President Chavez wants he can take a long walk off a short dock. His constant attacks on Atlasia are laughable....

This is all unofficial of course...

Siege
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2005, 01:34:18 PM »

If President Chavez wants he can take a long walk off a short dock. His constant attacks on Atlasia are laughable....

Siege

Damn fantasy Chavez, attacking a fantasy country.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2005, 02:25:45 PM »

Siege

Acctually, Mr. President, I would like permission to go to Venezuala and speak with Mr. Chavez personally, that is when John Ford gets back.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2005, 02:29:03 PM »

With the Wiki still down, I've had trouble finding some of these technical things.

Amen to that, brother Tongue

I don't understand, we unbanned the guy, why isn't the page back up yet?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »

Siege

Acctually, Mr. President, I would like permission to go to Venezuala and speak with Mr. Chavez personally, that is when John Ford gets back.

I would like to remind my colleagues that Mr. Chavez already sells oil to Cuba at below market prices. That would make him a raging hypocrite, I do believe. Wink
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2005, 01:40:44 PM »

Siege

Mr. Secretary, you are free to act as you will, don't give away the store, and consult with the Secretary of State if need be.

Siege
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2005, 12:02:29 AM »

September 5, 2005

Breaking News
[/size][/b]

Hurricane Katrina strikes New Orleans, Gulf Coast
[/size][/b]
Category 4 storm packing 135 mph winds wallops region.
[/size][/i]
By Clark Kent

BATON ROUGE-- It was the one everyone feared, it was the one that was talked about for so very long.  It was "The Big One".

And on this Sunday morning and afternoon, day before Labor Day 2005, it piled upon the Mississippi and Louisiana coasts, leaving unprecedented destruction and horror in its wake. 

On Sunday afternoon, when the storm had finally passed, New Orleans thought that it had escaped the wrath of Katrina when the storm made an unexpected move towards the east, but later on in the day this early optimism was tempered by countless reports that the city was flooding, that its levees were breached, and that the whole of New Orleans was sinking back into the water it had so desperately held back for countless years beforehand.

The Superdome roof had been partially blown off in the storm and its residents seeking the gigantic structure as a "shelter of last resort" found no shelter there as night descended on a pitch-black city, absent communication and electricity.  Rumors of looting and violence have become commonplace from the dark city and from television reports and no one really knows what is going on in New Orleans due to the terrible communication problems.

The upper coasts of Mississippi, where the storm's eye finally made true landfall and Alabama were also totally devastated by the winds, the flooding and the deadly storm surge.  Reports are still unclear as to the extent of the destruction, but everyone fears the worst and for obvious reasons.

FEMA organizers have staged resources and supplies outside the city in Baton Rouge and upper Mississippi preparing for the massive aid and search-and-rescue effort that this disaster will require.   

FEMA head chief Mike Brown said in a press conference today, "I have personally requested $10 billion dollars to aid in an operation of this magnitude and scope.  All truth be told, we have no idea in the end how much this will cost, but this money will be a start."

Southeast Regional National Guard troops have begun pouring into the Louisiana area.  Even with the Gubernatorial election of the past weekend, roughly 7,000 National Guardsmen from Texas and Louisiana have taken positions on the outskirts and within New Orleans to handle the crisis on the orders of Lieutenant Governor Q.  It is unknown at this time as to whether more troops will be needed to aid in the disaster, preparations for moving such a force would take at least 24 to 48 hours at least.

It is widely expected that the President will issue disaster declarations for Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama and perhaps even more states as the disaster widens.  It is also widely expected that President Siege40 will release some of the strategic oil reserves, as the damaging winds of Katrina have cut off nearly 20% of the United States oil refining capacity.

Stay tuned to The Daily Planet in these upcoming days for further news on this situation.

Atlasian Economic Situation Improves Slightly
[/size][/b]
Energy prices jump, but inflation declines
[/size][/i]
By Lois Lane

NYMAN -- New economic data released on Friday shows minor improvements for the Atlasian economy and greater hope for the near future, as Secretary Supersoulty's active engagement of Treasury Department activities have produced generally positive results.  The effects of Hurricane Katrina on the Atlasian economy are still unknown, but except for this roadbump things appear to be steadily improving on most fronts.

GDP grew by 1.6% this month, bringing the yearly GDP further into positive territory.  This increase reflected the resiliency of the housing market and growth in manufacturing sectors.  Unemployment also dropped to 5.8% and job hirings were up as well.

Inflation also declined to 2.5% for September, compared to last August's 3.8% number.  Most of this rise came from soaring energy costs, as other retail and wholesale costs remained steady.  Gasoline prices only last week hit $2.46 a gallon nationwide and are expected to go higher in the coming weeks due to the outages caused by Hurricane Katrina. 

Still hope appears to be on the way for a slight relief of high energy prices as three new refineries are planning to come online in the next six months, a result of the reorganization of the National Energy Act passed under the Third Senate and President John F. Kennedy.

The DOW has remained around the level of 8,000 and 8,500 throughout the month of August, mainly due to worries about rising gas prices, but also due to the fact that many stockbrokers, traders, investors and CEOs are out enjoying their vacations in the Hamptons.

Nevertheless, the Atlasian economy appears to be on the road to recovery economically, even after a few months which made even the rosiest of investors start shaking in their boots.

Planet Corporation Buy-Out in Progress
[/size][/b]
Former Senator-turned-Media Mogul heads investment group
[/size][/i]
By Dick Armstrong

We all knew it had to end sometime, didn't we?  Much like New Orleans disappeared from the face of the map, The Daily Planet was not going to last forever.  Or will it?

Sunday afternoon reports were confirmed that the Planet Corporation, parent company of this newspaper, PBC Network, Caulder Constituencies, Midgard News Services and more than a dozen media outlets and all its remaining stock options, was to be bought for a total of $15 billion dollars by an investment group headed by former Senator Sam Spade Murdoch (legal name change)  This price was one-third of the net overall worth of the company when it went public on the NYSE in July.

Mr. Spade Murdoch, head and CEO of the recently formed SAM News Corp. promised to revitalize flagging interest in the Planet Corporation's remaining media outlets and to bring worthwhile and breaking news to Atlasia's citizens through a whole host of outlets: television, radio, Internet and print.

Mr. Spade Murdoch said publicly today that decisions have not yet been made as to the future and scope of the Daily Planet, but the Midgard News Services and the Caulder Constituencies wings of The Planet Corporation will remain intact and functioning.   The Smudge Report will return as a primary source of leaking private information.  And the PBC Network will be re-named the SAM News Network and will host a variety of news programming, hard-hitting investigative journalism and pure tabloid trash.  Plans for a Sports and Entertainment Network are also in the works in the next few months.

In the past month, The Planet Corporation had fallen our hard times, as CEO and head flunkie John Ford took time away from the paper for vacation, as well as running for Governor of the Pacific Region.  Governor Ford was eventually successful in his race for governor and resigned as CEO of the corporation, causing a major drop in the stock of the company whose growth had been enormous during his run as CEO. 

Mr. Spade Murdoch's investment group saw enormous opportunity in this downturn and preceded to inquire as to buying-out controlling interest in the corporation, an inquiry which has resulted in the completion of the long-rumored deal today.

Please, Mr. Spade Murdoch, please don't fire us from the Planet.  I have a family of five to feed and I'm afraid that I'll be out on the street if you end my...

Sorry about that digression.  More on the news of this buyout tomorrow afternoon from The Daily Planet.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2005, 12:03:57 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2005, 02:00:08 PM by Sam Spade (GM) »

***SMUDGE REPORT***
[/size]

Rumors have been flying around all over Nyman today that Senator Ebowed is set to "come out of the closet" Tuesday and announce to his citizens of the Southeast and Atlasia that "I am a gay Atlasian".

Some private observers have told the Smudge Report that Senator Ebowed intends on making this declaration in order to further cement a spot in FEC organization as Peter Bell's new bitch, replacing former bitch True Democrat/Independent.

Other observers have told this report that former Senator/former Governor//former Attorney General/former Southeast Lottery Commissioner/former dogcatcher/one-time Presidential candidate Harry is behind these rumors and there is no truth to them at all.

Developing...[/b]
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2005, 12:04:29 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2005, 12:32:17 AM by Sam Spade (GM) »

Midgard Wire Service

MEMPHIS -- Preliminary results of the Southeast Gubernatorial election held this weekend show Governor Bono leading with a margin of victory of 5 votes to 4 votes for Jake and 3 votes for Dubya.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2005, 12:04:54 AM »

ZOMG
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2005, 12:08:23 AM »

Does Adam Griffin's vote count?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2005, 12:12:21 AM »

I don't see why not.  He's a registered voter and didn't edit his post or move his state of residence.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2005, 12:24:16 AM »

I don't see why not.  He's a registered voter and didn't edit his post or move his state of residence.
Does he meet the activity requirements?
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2005, 12:27:59 AM »

Midgard Wire Service

MEMPHIS -- Results of the Southeast Gubernatorial election held this weekend show that Governor Bono has been re-elected with a margin of victory of 5 votes to 4 votes for Jake and 3 votes for Dubya.

This election has not yet concluded.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2005, 12:31:28 AM »

Midgard Wire Service

MEMPHIS -- Results of the Southeast Gubernatorial election held this weekend show that Governor Bono has been re-elected with a margin of victory of 5 votes to 4 votes for Jake and 3 votes for Dubya.

This election has not yet concluded.

You are correct, Q.  I missed that the election started at 12:15 PM, 15 minutes after the necessary 60 hours would be reached by this Sunday.

Apologies to all.  Sad
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2005, 12:38:49 AM »

Above post from the Midgard Wire Service has been corrected to reflect new info.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2005, 01:08:39 AM »

Can't start your own thread, eh? Wink

Well, thanks for the $15 billion.  So you're now owner of 100% of the company, or are there still other shares being traded?

What's my net worth nowadays?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies