The Atlanic: "Ted Cruz, Leninist"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:11:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Atlanic: "Ted Cruz, Leninist"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlanic: "Ted Cruz, Leninist"  (Read 1696 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »

making a point that I've made a few times, and first found in Chomsky's 2010 work Hopes and Prospects.  in that work Chomsky noted how the contemporary GOP scarcely resembles a traditional political party, has few connections to the general population and is committed to internal discipline.  I'd go further and regard the new strain of the GOP as Stalinist, summed up in the old adage "if the party and the facts disagree, so much the worse for the facts."  when you have the means of churning out information in an authoritative manner at your disposal, you can create your own reality.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/09/ted-cruz-leninist/280074/

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »

(...and you wonder why people like me are Democratic hacks when this is the alternative.)

Also I was hoping this article would argue that Cruz is a Cuban-Canadian Marxist sleeper agent.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »

If Ted Cruz is Lenin, who gets to be Trotsky, Stalin and Karensky?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
« Edited: September 29, 2013, 12:53:39 AM by Progressive Realist »

The Republican Party is controlled by a relatively small number of right-wing ideologues and demagogues who trace their (anti-) intellectual roots to the John Birch Society era of the  late 50s and early 60s. They are a Cold War relic that, now that the Soviet Bloc has been vanquished, are turning on what's left of the liberal welfare state and other aspects of the liberal intellectual Establishment at home.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »

making a point that I've made a few times, and first found in Chomsky's 2010 work Hopes and Prospects.  in that work Chomsky noted how the contemporary GOP scarcely resembles a traditional political party, has few connections to the general population and is committed to internal discipline.  I'd go further and regard the new strain of the GOP as Stalinist, summed up in the old adage "if the party and the facts disagree, so much the worse for the facts."  when you have the means of churning out information in an authoritative manner at your disposal, you can create your own reality.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/09/ted-cruz-leninist/280074/

Ideologically, there nothing alike, but I think the article has some good points in terms of party structure and isolation.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 10:55:45 AM »

I served with Lenin. I knew Lenin. Lenin was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Lenin.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »

I served with Lenin. I knew Lenin. Lenin was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Lenin.

+1
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »

...the contemporary GOP... has few connections to the general population

Seriously?  About half of white people, and certainly a large majority of white males identify very strongly with the racism, xenophobia, fear, hatred, psychosis, and genocidal agenda of the GOP.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

Seriously?  About half of white people, and certainly a large majority of white males identify very strongly with the racism, xenophobia, fear, hatred, psychosis, and genocidal agenda of the GOP.

that's a spiritual connection, not a material connection as you would see with a labor party, for instance.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »

Good article.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »

Seriously?  About half of white people, and certainly a large majority of white males identify very strongly with the racism, xenophobia, fear, hatred, psychosis, and genocidal agenda of the GOP.

that's a spiritual connection, not a material connection as you would see with a labor party, for instance.

Well, the GOP kills poors, blacks, Latinos, gays, etc., which is precisely the 'material action' desired by the male whites.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »

Well, the GOP kills poors, blacks, Latinos, gays, etc., which is precisely the 'material action' desired by the male whites.

This would be offensive if opebo hadn't been pulling the clear "schtick" for years.

Still, good article.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »

I think it's been quite obvious for some time that a 'material' connection isn't necessary if the 'spiritual' one is strong-enough.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »

Worth noting that the John Birch Society and other "movement conservatives" studied and mimicked the techniques of Communist organizers.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »

Seriously?  About half of white people, and certainly a large majority of white males identify very strongly with the racism, xenophobia, fear, hatred, psychosis, and genocidal agenda of the GOP.

I think it's been quite obvious for some time that a 'material' connection isn't necessary if the 'spiritual' one is strong-enough.

fine, but when the two come into conflict the material often trumps.  not that anecdotes are conclusive, but I have a union relative or three who rails against ns & their handouts yet have remained straight-ticket (D)s all their lives.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 04:40:32 PM »

I'll let the second half of that statement slide and just say that it's far more than half of white people, and at least a quarter of Hispanics.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »

I'll let the second half of that statement slide and just say that it's far more than half of white people, and at least a quarter of Hispanics.

Well come on buddy, you mean far more than half of white voters, and at least a quarter of Hispanic voters.   Not people in general, just voters.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »

Well come on buddy, you mean far more than half of white voters, and at least a quarter of Hispanic voters.   Not people in general, just voters.

No, I adjusted. Otherwise both numbers would've been higher Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies