2004 Democratic Primary (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:17:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 Democratic Primary (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2004 Democratic Primary  (Read 439857 times)
Demrepdan

« on: November 06, 2003, 07:42:52 PM »
« edited: November 06, 2003, 07:52:34 PM by Demrepdan »

I am currently giving my support to  Sen. John Edwards. Although, Howard Dean and Dick Gephardt fall closely behind. In many ways, I do not think Gephardt would win. His main concern is for workers rights, and his views toward this may turn away many southern voters. Howard Dean is  the fighting Liberal! The man so opposite of President Bush that he would most certainly give Bush a run for his money! But maybe he is...TOO...liberal? Hmm... And plus his remarks concerning the Confederate flag and the south proove that he is very ignorant to how to pull in southern votes. Which brings me to Edwards. Edwards would most certainatly bring in more southern votes than any of the other candidates. He has some conservative views that appeals to the south. I also like some of his views on education, and the War with Iraq (which I commonly refer to as the Gulf War II).  I'm surprised that on this poll, I was the FIRST person to vote for Edwards. I hope that some may see what potential he has.
Demrepdan

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 12:34:48 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2003, 12:36:55 AM by Demrepdan »

Many people may be surprised what states will switch from Democratic to Republican and Republican to Democrat.  States that may turn to the Democrats are New Hampshire and Missouri, and depending on whether or not John Edwards, or Wesley Clark are on the VP ticket or they are the Presidential candidate themselves, then don't be surprised to see some southern states vote Democratic. Such as North Carolina, Arkansas, Georgia (perhaps), Tennessee, and maybe even Florida. But then again I'm sure Gov. Bush would make sure his big brother wins his state.  Democratic states that may turn Republican might be Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan (I doubt it), New Mexico, Illinois, and maybe even *GASP* California? You think "Gubernah" ARH-nold Swarzenegger will help President Bush win California? You may indeed be surprised.
Demrepdan

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 05:05:20 PM »

I would have to agree that D.C. is not in anyway part of the south. In fact I would argue that Maryland isn't part of the "modern" south.

And I'm not all too sure on the way you categorized Georgia as being in the "deep" south. Georgia is nearly a mix between the deep south, and the "Greater Florida Region", if that's what you would want to call it. Florida and Georgia could very well vote Democratic. The states that you categorize as the deep south would most likely vote republican 9 out of 10 times. Thus, taking Georgia out of this category.
Demrepdan

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 09:50:41 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2003, 10:12:03 PM by Demrepdan »

Yes I've heard of Sen. Zell Miller, and his displeasure with the Democratic Party recently. But when I said that Georgia "could" vote Democratic I meant exactly that. I never said it would. A Democrat has carried it as recent as 1992, even though it was a southern Democrat, and even though it was won by barely one percentage point.  And who's to say that it won't be a southern Democrat in 2004 (i.e. John Edwards) who is nominated for President. I'm sure many would say Edwards doesn't have a chance in hell, but you never know. After all, Sen. Miller may be right, that the Democratic Party has left the interests of the south. Edwards seems to be one of the most conservative of the nine Democratic Presidential candidates, so maybe he has a chance in that respect. And I would have to agree with you though, the way Georgia is right now I don't think I could ever see them voting for the Democrats.

And I suppose the Democrats in Georgia would be in disarray after the mid-term election. Especially after having lost an incumbent Senator, who was a  triple-amputee and a Vietnam veteran, who was accused of being unpatriotic by his Republican opponent. But then again, maybe ole Zell is right, it’s the Democrats who abandoned the south and not the south who abandoned the Democrats.
Demrepdan

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 01:22:29 PM »

Hey,
I have read a lot of good posts on this forum.  As for the 2004 State predictions, I have a proposal:

I'll create a page that highlights your individual predictions.  You could download the main US Map and color it (using my standard 10 point scale) (using red for Democrats and blue for Republicans or green for Independent Smiley).  I'll add a web page interface so that you can upload your maps and add any text descriptions you like.

Comments?
Dave  

I would definitely have to agree with this. I LOVE this idea. And it would also make it easier for us to give our prediction, since we must currently have to TYPE it all out. Coloring the map would be easier to do, and it plus it would give people a great visual.  A BRILLIANT idea, Dave!
Demrepdan

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 01:34:01 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2003, 01:35:37 PM by Demrepdan »

Oh yeah, and I had a quick question for you, Dave. Concerning the colors.
Why do you use blue for Republicans and red for Democrats, when most people do it the other way around, even calling the southern Republican states, "red states"? You probably don't really have an answer to this question. I mean, its probably just your preference of colors, but I was just curious. Smiley
Demrepdan

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 06:00:46 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2003, 07:18:32 PM by Demrepdan »

My upload wouldn't work either. So, should all of us just e-mail our maps to you until the problem is fixed?
Demrepdan

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 12:20:11 AM »

A poll from the CBS news on Friday, November 14th, has the "Unknown Democratic Candidate" beating President Bush by 2 precentage points. The Democrat was at 43% and President Bush was 41%.
Demrepdan

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003, 11:37:29 PM »

Before the redistricting, the 15th Congressional district (which I live in), did not extend so far north along the Wabash River as it does now. It consumed most of East Central Illinois, nothing more.

But now it goes from East central Illinois, and dips ALL the way down to southern Illinois along the Wabash River. Which, undoubtedly, is what gives the district it's current name.

However, I wonder what the district was called BEFORE it extended so far south along the Wabash River.

P.S.        From what I've heard, the 15th district in Illinois stretches further north and south than any Congressional district east of the Mississippi. Just a bit of trivia information for you. Wink
Demrepdan

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 05:46:23 PM »

I was a supporter of John Edwards. Because I thought he could be the only person to beat Bush. But after last nights debate, I'm leaning more to Howard Dean. Yeah I'm a sheep! What of it?!

I honestly don't think (as I'm sure many would agree) that Dean could win the Presidency. So I don't know why I like him so much. And I don't see why many Democrats like him either. The Republicans LOVE him because they know he would lose to Bush. Maybe I'm being brainwashed into liking Dean. Maybe this is some kind of big conspiracy to help Dean win the nomination so he can ultimately take the fall. People are SHEEP!! Sheep I tell you!

The only thing I have to say about that is...baaaaaaahhhhh.
Demrepdan

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 10:09:50 PM »

I would consider myself a Democrat, although I do have some conservative views of things. But I'm fairly moderate. But I've decided, that if the election were held TODAY....I would more than likely vote for Bush. What the hell.

He is sort of like Reagan. Reagan messed things up in our own country, but put a lot of money in National Defense in order to scare the Ruskies, thus helping to bring an end to the Cold War. Bush is like this in many respects. He is screwing things up at home, but he's showing our military might, and going after terrorists. (Although I see nothing to prove this, i.e no Osama Bin Laden or Saddam Hussein). So why not vote for him?! He may screw things up, but after he's done we'll elect someone better to fix all of his mistakes, and ulitmately Bush will be viewed historically as a good President.

But trust me, this opinion will change in the not to distant future.
Demrepdan

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 05:36:40 PM »

If I had to guess I'd say that Al will run as an independent.  I think he really feels that the Democrats have ignored the needs of black voters.  From his point of view he can run in 2004, a race the dems probably won't win anyway, and spoil it for the nominee.  At least that way he can wield some influence in the democratic party in the future.

Are you talking about Al Gore, as the person in the post before you was, or are you talking about Al Sharpton? If you're talking about Gore, there is no way in hell he would run as an independent. That would ruin his chances for the 2008 election. You can't run as an independent, not supporting your own party, and then HOPE to be nominated by your party again 4 years later. The Democrats would be outraged that Gore did this, and would never nominate him.
Demrepdan

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2003, 07:43:53 PM »

Gore was not campaign as far left and was as angry as Dean is.
I thought a lot of people thought Gore was "angry". Look at what he did during the debates. All the sighing and eye rolling. Dean hasn't really shown an "angry side" as much as many think.
Demrepdan

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2003, 11:19:51 PM »

Gore is a little kitten compared to Dean.
What has Dean done to appear so angry? I've seen him appear miffed a few times, usually after one of the other Democratic candidates bash him though. When has he appeared to be angry?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies