German Elections & Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:36:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German Elections & Politics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176
Author Topic: German Elections & Politics  (Read 662072 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4325 on: October 29, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »

AKK, Jens Spahn and Friedrich Merz are running for the party chairmanship so far.
AKK seems to be the frontrunner, but Spahn has been pretty popular among party delegates at the recent conventions. I'm wondering whether his job as Minister of Health hurt him, because he's not really doing a good job. And he's viewed rather unfavorable among non-conservatives.
I'd love to see Friedrich Merz as Chairman. He has become an outsider without any baggage, he could get a lot of former CDU-Voters back and isn't toxic to moderates either. And as a former rival of Merkel, he is the ultimate Anti-Merkel candidate.

For a minute, I wondered whether Merz entered the race as a spoiler to Spahn.

Is a plurality enough to win? If so, they'd definitely hurt each other. Anyway, I could see one of them drop out and support the other. As long as Merkel stays on as Chancellor the party chairman will struggle anyways, because everything will stay the same with her and I doubt that anyone can pull the CDU out of their slump due to the GroKo.

No, there is a runoff if no one wins a majority. But unless AKK wins, GroKo will be as good as dead.
What would happen other than new elections in that case? It's not like there is another government that is even possible...
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4326 on: October 29, 2018, 04:46:55 PM »

Maybe if someone quite conservative wins the leadership election they'll try to remove Merkel as chancellor as well and try the unholy CDU/CSU-FDP-AfD coalition?
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.67, S: -2.92

« Reply #4327 on: October 29, 2018, 04:52:05 PM »

AKK, Jens Spahn and Friedrich Merz are running for the party chairmanship so far.
AKK seems to be the frontrunner, but Spahn has been pretty popular among party delegates at the recent conventions. I'm wondering whether his job as Minister of Health hurt him, because he's not really doing a good job. And he's viewed rather unfavorable among non-conservatives.
I'd love to see Friedrich Merz as Chairman. He has become an outsider without any baggage, he could get a lot of former CDU-Voters back and isn't toxic to moderates either. And as a former rival of Merkel, he is the ultimate Anti-Merkel candidate.

For a minute, I wondered whether Merz entered the race as a spoiler to Spahn.

Is a plurality enough to win? If so, they'd definitely hurt each other. Anyway, I could see one of them drop out and support the other. As long as Merkel stays on as Chancellor the party chairman will struggle anyways, because everything will stay the same with her and I doubt that anyone can pull the CDU out of their slump due to the GroKo.

No, there is a runoff if no one wins a majority. But unless AKK wins, GroKo will be as good as dead.
What would happen other than new elections in that case? It's not like there is another government that is even possible...

Jamaica would be possible, but certainly the Greens - and perhaps the Merkel-less CDU, too - would be better off with new elections.
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #4328 on: October 29, 2018, 04:57:25 PM »

Maybe if someone quite conservative wins the leadership election they'll try to remove Merkel as chancellor as well

You bet.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No way. Even CDU/CSU-FDP minority with outside support from AfD would be a stretch.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4329 on: October 30, 2018, 12:22:30 AM »

Several party members argue in support of running a primary ("Urabstimmung") - and the CDU really ought to do that, both for the party leadership and the chancellor candidacy.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #4330 on: October 30, 2018, 06:18:18 AM »

What are political views of Friedrich Merz? I more or less know Spahn or AKK but I am clueless about third participant in that leadership race.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4331 on: October 30, 2018, 06:29:30 AM »

What are political views of Friedrich Merz? I more or less know Spahn or AKK but I am clueless about third participant in that leadership race.

Extremely conservative. Extremely neoliberal. Very US-orientated. Ardent supporter of the Iraq War and the conscription. Belonged to the 5% of Germans who supported McCain. Pronounced opponent of gay marriage, pro-choice rights and the minimum wage.
His most famous project was the "beer coaster tax system"; that means that he wanted the citizens to be able to make their tax declarations "on a beer coaster".

Merkel and Merz deeply despise each other.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4332 on: October 30, 2018, 07:53:18 AM »

Merz officially in!
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #4333 on: October 30, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »

Extremely conservative. Extremely neoliberal. Very US-orientated. Ardent supporter of the Iraq War and the conscription. Belonged to the 5% of Germans who supported McCain. Pronounced opponent of gay marriage, pro-choice rights and the minimum wage.
His most famous project was the "beer coaster tax system"; that means that he wanted the citizens to be able to make their tax declarations "on a beer coaster".

I'm sorry my sweet Jens Spahn, nothing lasts forever. Merz is waifu now Purple heart.

He only needs to drop conscription and Merz truly is Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4334 on: October 30, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »

Who is more likely to take a firm stance and protect Fortress Europe, Spahn or Merz?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #4335 on: October 30, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »

Totally supporting AKK then.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4336 on: October 30, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »

Who is more likely to take a firm stance and protect Fortress Europe, Spahn or Merz?

I think they're both equally supportive of the EU.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4337 on: October 30, 2018, 09:04:45 AM »

Not what I mean. Who is more likely to oppose mass immigration as much as possible?
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #4338 on: October 30, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »

Not what I mean. Who is more likely to oppose mass immigration as much as possible?

Spahn is more likely to select immigrants based on cultural closeness.

Merz is more likely to select immigrants based on economic usefulness.

Take your pick.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4339 on: October 30, 2018, 09:28:34 AM »

I think Spahn is a tad more skeptical towards mass immigration, not least because of his sexual orientation. Merz, on the other hand, is an economic lobbyist who works closely with and for marketing boards, which have been pressing for mass immigration for years.
Merz even rejected the Ludwig Erhard Prize this year, which honors free-market friendly activists, because he didn't want to share the stage with controversial, AfD-friendly publicist Roland Tichy.

Take your pick.

I couldn't have explained it more accurately. Tongue
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4340 on: October 30, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »

Honest question here, but why do people think the Grand Coalition is dead? Even if someone less Europhile then Merkel takes the reigns of leadership, its in the SPD's best interest to avoid new elections and the subsequent electoral wipe-out. Jamaica won't bail the Union out of a hole, especially if its the greens who stand to gain from new elections.
rob in cal
« Reply #4341 on: October 30, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »

If Spahn or Merz had been chancellor in 2015 would they have reacted differently to the migrant crisis than Merkel?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4342 on: October 30, 2018, 09:50:30 AM »

If Spahn or Merz had been chancellor in 2015 would they have reacted differently to the migrant crisis than Merkel?

Yes, They would have handled it like Sebastian Kurz and haven't opened the borders.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4343 on: October 30, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »

Honest question here, but why do people think the Grand Coalition is dead? Even if someone less Europhile then Merkel takes the reigns of leadership, its in the SPD's best interest to avoid new elections and the subsequent electoral wipe-out. Jamaica won't bail the Union out of a hole, especially if its the greens who stand to gain from new elections.

Because all three parties have crashed in the polls and in the last two state elections, especially the SPD, which is likely to never recover again; The encore soi-disant "grand coailition" would even get a majority if the federal election were held today, and the AfD has finally entered all 16 state parliaments.
All three parties have been in fierce dispute with each other since the beginning of the tenure half a year ago.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4344 on: October 30, 2018, 11:12:49 AM »

Because all three parties have crashed in the polls and in the last two state elections, especially the SPD, which is likely to never recover again; The encore soi-disant "grand coailition" would even get a majority if the federal election were held today, and the AfD has finally entered all 16 state parliaments.
All three parties have been in fierce dispute with each other since the beginning of the tenure half a year ago.

Yes but you haven't refuted my argument: the CDU/CSU prefers a 2.5 party government over a a 3.5 party or or one where they are out of power, the two option available in new elections are called. The SPD wants access to power and a greater share of the parliamentary seats, both things that go away with new elections. Basically what I am saying is that while the Grand Coalition is not working to the best of its ability, its the best of all possible options on the table.
republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #4345 on: October 30, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »

Yes but you haven't refuted my argument: the CDU/CSU prefers a 2.5 party government over a a 3.5 party or or one where they are out of power, the two option available in new elections are called. The SPD wants access to power and a greater share of the parliamentary seats, both things that go away with new elections. Basically what I am saying is that while the Grand Coalition is not working to the best of its ability, its the best of all possible options on the table.

SPD thinks that a more leftist platform is an answer to their problems while CDU will probably move to the right with a new party leader. Both parties would lose even more credibility and voters if they don't terminate the Grand Coalition at some point. I think they'd take mediocre losses and a fresh start in 2019 over a total disaster in 2021.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4346 on: October 30, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »

Well, I think all three parties know - to quote a famous SPD politician - that it's better have an ending with dread than dread without an ending. Moreover, the Greens and the FDP in one government are very hard to handle; no such coalition has lasted a whole tenure at the state level.
Furthermore; i doubt that the SPD really wants access to power.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4347 on: October 30, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »

Take your pick.
Very clear, thanks - Spahn it is.
republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #4348 on: October 30, 2018, 01:57:40 PM »

Take your pick.
The difference between these two is so small that it doesn't matter. What matters is winning an election. I'm not sure if anyone can take the CDU back to 40%, but Spahn most certainly can't.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4349 on: October 30, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »

Take your pick.
The difference between these two is so small that it doesn't matter. What matters is winning an election. I'm not sure if anyone can take the CDU back to 40%, but Spahn most certainly can't.
What matters is carrying out sound policies. Parties are instruments for that. Merkel won 41% or even more and subsequently opened the borders to the entire Middle East. I rather have a CDU at 33% with a solid right-winger. What's more, I am not at all convinced that a moderate like AKK would have more electoral success than Spahn. Someone like AKK would lose a lot of voters to AfD definitively. Real right-wingers would continue to vote for a wholly uncoalitionable party like AfD and the government continues to consist of a combination of fake right-wingers and left-wingers, which is the problem both Germany and the Netherlands experience right now. The CDU essentially has to choose between making Merkel's move to the center permanent or moving to the right again.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies