German Elections & Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:26:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German Elections & Politics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 ... 176
Author Topic: German Elections & Politics  (Read 664622 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4150 on: October 16, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »

There was even a  episode some years ago (comparable with CSI) having the mafia-style clan criminality for a theme.

Bye the way, wasn't there something happening on Sunday in Germany...?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4151 on: October 16, 2018, 04:25:17 PM »

Everything is relative: the average resident of Chicago would probably find such districts positively quaint.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4152 on: October 16, 2018, 04:44:33 PM »

Everything is relative: the average resident of Chicago would probably find such districts positively quaint.

The Arab clans in Germany are indeed comparable with the Chicago Outfit.
But wouldn't concentration camp inmates have found the slave plantations "positively quaint", too?

Some of the clan crimes even made it to international headlines, such as:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/12/world/europe/berlin-gold-coin-maple-leaf.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44886543
https://www.bbc.com/news/10311861
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #4153 on: October 16, 2018, 05:27:23 PM »

Doesn't the fact they got arrested sort of undermine the argument that there are places the police are scared to go?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4154 on: October 16, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »

Doesn't the fact they got arrested sort of undermine the argument that there are places the police are scared to go?

Those were hooded, heavily armed special units who arrested them.
The normal policeman gets accosted and assaulted by the criminals in the no-go areas.

There is quite a "famous" policewoman of Greek descendant called Tania Kambouri, who has often been invited to polit talk shows about aforementioned topic, because she published a book called Germany in the blue light -emergency call from a policewoman, in which she expounds in detail the problems of the lacking respect of migrants, for German authorities, particularly for women.

https://www.amazon.de/Deutschland-Blaulicht-Notruf-einer-Polizistin/dp/3492060242
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #4155 on: October 16, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »

The big difference is that if any of those Arab and Turkish clans came to Chicago, or any other US city, and started disrespecting police officers the way they seemingly do in many Western European countries they would simply get a bullet in their head or have the sh**t kicked out of them. So even if the US has plenty of gang problems the gangs don't rule American cities in quite the same way.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4156 on: October 17, 2018, 02:11:11 AM »

True, I spent 2 weeks in a terrible part of Wedding rumoured to be organized crime HQ, wasn't different from walking in my middle class neighborhood here
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4157 on: October 17, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2018, 08:39:56 AM by Great Again No More »

For the past couple of years I've been playing soccer once a week in the middle of Berlin-Neukölln near Sonnenallee with some friends of mine. The same ground is also often frequented by Turkish/Arab adolescents and sometimes we are playing with or against them.

So far I haven't asked any of them whether they have a criminal record or are member of a gang. It also wouldn't be polite to do so, I suppose. In any case, I have never become the victim of a crime myself down there or something. Sometimes I was getting the vibe though that they have a bit of a neurotic attitude towards ethnic Germans in the sense that they're suspecting us of being xenophobically biased against them, but without outright stating that suspicion.

Playing soccer against them is usually a pretty strenuous, since they definitely tend to play more aggressive, but without being ourtight unsportsmanlike or using foul play. Otherwise the behavior is generally very polite, accomodating, and hospitable. Can't ascertain whether they're that polite due to their upbringing or because they secretly suspect us of being xenophobes and must treat us carefully.

Currently, one regular member of our soccer group is a woman. In general, that doesn't seem to be a problem when playing against Arab youths. Only once it was cause of a bit of a friction. One of them was placing a lot of emphasis on not being touched by her or not touching her, since he didn't want to do commit any indecent or sinful acts or something. I guess he's got to find a way to live with it. Kind of ironic that the woman in question happens to be one quarter Iranian herself though.

I have also two friends living near Kottbusser Tor in Kreuzberg. When I tell my parents (who are from Saxony-Anhalt, which definitely explains their reaction) that I was visiting one of them there they're usually reacting very concerned for my well-being basing their opinion on something they saw on TV. Usually, that cracks me up. One of my friends who has been living in the direct vicinity of Kottbusser Tor for almost ten years says that he's never really become the victim of a crime there. And he happens to leave his house at night often. Only once he suspected that someone must have unsuccessfully attempted to steal his purse though.

I'm also aware of a bar somewhere around there which has the reputation that you can basically buy any drug you're looking for there. I think I have been there myself once. Haven't bought any drugs myself, but neither have I told my parents of it. In the immediate neighbourhood is also the SO36, maybe best known as the club frequented by David Bowie and Iggy Pop back in the 70s. The last time I was there was a couple of weeks ago when they conducted their weekly movie quiz. We placed 17th among the 42 participating teams.

More recently, it was in the local news that the Berlin state government has successfully  impounded real state worth a couple of a million euros from Neukölln clans. It was also recently discussed by the state government and the Kreuzberg borough administration to possibly remove the children of Arab mob members from their custody. That is the SPD-Left-Green government not a AfD one.

The bottomline is... is there crime, is there poverty, are there social problems? Of course there are. But maybe one should try to keep in mind that this isn't the only thing in existence and maybe not even the predominant thing in existence. It's only one of multiple aspects. But when you're happen to live in Saxony-Anhalt like my parents do crime in Kreuzberg apparently becomes the only aspect which exists.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4158 on: October 17, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »

But wouldn't concentration camp inmates have found the slave plantations "positively quaint", too?

Reported for Nazi propaganda. I guess, I should also send a message to German police.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #4159 on: October 17, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »

Isn't that comment the exact opposite of Nazi propaganda?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4160 on: October 17, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »

New poll out of Hesse, where the state election takes place on October 28:

Source

If this holds which is a big if: which of three is most likely:

1.  Grand Coalition
2.  Jamaica Coalition
3.  Traffic Light Coalition

Is a Red-Red-Coalition on the table or has the SPD ruled this out as it some states particularly in former East Germany it is considered, but in most West German states ruled out.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4161 on: October 17, 2018, 02:43:46 PM »

New poll out of Hesse, where the state election takes place on October 28:

Source

If this holds which is a big if: which of three is most likely:

1.  Grand Coalition
2.  Jamaica Coalition
3.  Traffic Light Coalition

Is a Red-Red-Coalition on the table or has the SPD ruled this out as it some states particularly in former East Germany it is considered, but in most West German states ruled out.

Traffic Light would be the best option by far. A grand coalition only if the SPD comes in first and TSG becomes Minister President. Volker Boffier makes a tired impression.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4162 on: October 17, 2018, 02:54:01 PM »

Andrea Ypsilanti tried a R2G coalition exactly 10 years ago after she had peremptorily ruled that out during the election campaign. She foundered on that plan, and that was the beginning of the end of the Hesse state SPD.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4163 on: October 17, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »

If that is the result, then a Traffic Light government definitely seems to be the better outcome rather then another Black+Red Grand Coalition. Of course if the FDP falls out, then R+G or B+G might just have a majority, or a working minority.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4164 on: October 17, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2018, 03:21:51 PM by Ἅιδης »

Bear in mind that there are 15 proposed amendments to the Hesse state constitution that people will vote on in October; in the US states a completely normal thing, whereas in Germany even one single ballot measure is a rare exception.

* equality between men/women into the constitution
* a right to data privacy (in IT) into the constitution
* strong children's rights into the constitution (against abuse)
* death penalty out of the constitution
* insert a definition of several state goals into the constitution
* among these state goals: a focus on sustainability
* a focus on strengthening infrastructure
* a focus on strengthening culture
* a focus on strengthening voluntary civil service (red cross, firebrigades etc.)
* a focus on strengthening sports
* a commitment to Europe into the constitution
* lowering the passive voting age to 18 (= min. age for candidates in the state parliament)
* detailed digital publication of all laws on the state government website
* a commitment and strengthening of direct democracy with lower signature thresholds
* full independence of the court of audit

Edit: The first explanation is actually wrong, as the equality between men/women is already guaranteed in the constitution. It's more about the promotion of emancipation.
The aspect regarding the direct democracy is also wrong, as the Hessian constitution already provides it; actually, the quorum for initiatives shall be lowered.
Where did you find that graphic, Tender?

Also an interesting point: An amendment about lowering the passive voting age to 18 was already discarded in a 1995 ballot measure.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4165 on: October 17, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »

Bear in mind that there are 15 proposed amendments to the Hesse state constitution that people will vote on in October; in the US states a completely normal thing, whereas in Germany even one single ballot measure is a rare exception.

* equality between men/women into the constitution
* a right to data privacy (in IT) into the constitution
* strong children's rights into the constitution (against abuse)
* death penalty out of the constitution
* insert a definition of several state goals into the constitution
* among these state goals: a focus on sustainability
* a focus on strengthening infrastructure
* a focus on strengthening culture
* a focus on strengthening voluntary civil service (red cross, firebrigades etc.)
* a focus on strengthening sports
* a commitment to Europe into the constitution
* lowering the passive voting age to 18 (= min. age for candidates in the state parliament)
* detailed digital publication of all laws on the state government website
* a commitment and strengthening of direct democracy with lower signature thresholds
* full independence of the court of audit

Really kind of mysterious capital punishment is still formally included although it doesn't have any pratical role since the death penalty is unconstitutional at the federal level.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4166 on: October 17, 2018, 03:24:27 PM »

Really kind of mysterious capital punishment is still formally included although it doesn't have any piratical role since the death penalty is unconstitutional at the federal level.

Maybe Roland Koch hoped that he'd be the king of an sovereign Hesse one day...
rob in cal
« Reply #4167 on: October 17, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »

So how much would the quorum for initiatives be lowered to?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4168 on: October 17, 2018, 04:16:27 PM »

So how much would the quorum for initiatives be lowered to?

To 5%. Currently it's 20%, the highest of all states.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4169 on: October 18, 2018, 12:01:05 AM »

Outcome breakdown on administrative region levels (sorted by number of inhabitants):

Upper Bavaria (4,650,000 inhabitants):

Swabia (1,873,000 inhabitants):

Middle Franconia (1,760,000 inhabitants):

Lower Franconia (1,313,000 inhabitants):

Lower Bavaria (1,230,000 inhabitants):

Upper Palatinate (1,104,000 inhabitants):

Upper Franconia (1,067,000 inhabitants):

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #4170 on: October 18, 2018, 06:57:42 AM »

Latest ZDP poll on Hesse (comparsion to 2013 results)

CDU    26
Green  22
SPD    20
AfD     12
FDP      8
Linke    8

Note sure CDU-Green will make it past majority.  Of course if that is out then it will have to be Green-SPD-Linke. 
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4171 on: October 18, 2018, 07:09:15 AM »

CDU    26
Green  22
SPD    20
AfD     12
FDP      8
Linke    8

Note sure CDU-Green will make it past majority.  Of course if that is out then it will have to be Green-SPD-Linke. 

No.In that case it will be a Jamaica coalition. 100% sure!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4172 on: October 18, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »

CDU    26
Green  22
SPD    20
AfD     12
FDP      8
Linke    8

If this is the result then it's Traffic light or Jamaica. But as was said above me, if the SPD are below the greens, then Traffic light is almost an impossibly. Why would the SPD sign up to be a minor partner under the greens? Just makes their decline nationally look even worse.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #4173 on: October 18, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »

CDU    26
Green  22
SPD    20
AfD     12
FDP      8
Linke    8

If this is the result then it's Traffic light or Jamaica. But as was said above me, if the SPD are below the greens, then Traffic light is almost an impossibly. Why would the SPD sign up to be a minor partner under the greens? Just makes their decline nationally look even worse.

But after 2011 Baden-Württemberg  election SPD did accept becoming the junior partner of the Greens since they had less seats.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4174 on: October 18, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »

CDU    26
Green  22
SPD    20
AfD     12
FDP      8
Linke    8

But after 2011 Baden-Württemberg  election SPD did accept becoming the junior partner of the Greens since they had less seats.

Which will obviously be cited as evidence over why the SPD can't become minor partner to greens, since the Baden-Württemberg SPD is basically now dead.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 ... 176  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies