What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:41:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican?  (Read 17576 times)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« on: March 05, 2005, 09:55:57 PM »

The Democrats will never lose DC. Even if there is another realignment, it will stay with the Democrats, just like Kansas and Nebraska have always stayed with the GOP.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 10:16:32 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2005, 01:21:11 AM by Bob »

The Democrats will never lose DC. Even if there is another realignment, it will stay with the Democrats, just like Kansas and Nebraska have always stayed with the GOP.
So why do these areas keep sticking with the same party?  Many constituencies have changed as the parties have changed.  For example, African Americans were heavily Republican until the FDR administration and then became heavily Democratic as a result of the New Deal.  The reactionaries of the South used to be heavily Democratic and then turned heavily Republican. 

I've wondered that myself. A while back, I started a thread on Kane County, Utah, which has always voted Republican except in 1916. It really irritates me that those people vote Republican when they're progressive, and still remain loyal when their platform is completely opposite. So why the hell weren't they Democrats back then?

These areas are inexcusable- they must not care about "issues", or "candidates"; they just care about the little R on the ballot.

(And all of that applies to always Democratic areas too, though there aren't many).
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 09:04:40 PM »

Ehem!

That was only because Byran was from Nebraska, and the farmers were starving. Even then, his margins were fairly narrow. They reverted to their traditional Republicanism in 1900.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies