What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:28:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican?  (Read 17588 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: March 08, 2005, 07:10:57 PM »

It's no coincidence in my opinion that a city that is so strongly and mindlessly Democratic is also completely dysfunctional.  The two are usually strongly linked.

...Whereas the areas that are strongly and mindlessly Republican are virtual paradises in comparison?  Not in my mind.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 07:13:27 PM »

Seeing as how Vermont used to vote for the Republicans in terms of about 65%-80% for a large part of the 20th century, and now is probably the safest Democratic state after DC itself, I'd say anything is possible.  The reason Vermont switched is because of the political shifts of the two parties, and the demographic shift (rich liberal New Yorkers emigrating to the small towns up north).

So, despite the fact that DC currently votes Democratic in similar margins as Vermont used to for the Republicans, I'd say DC could actually vote Republican in the distant future.  But only under similar circumstances; i.e. another party realignment or a demographic shift.  Coupled perhaps with an economic boom.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies