Mike Pence?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:01:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Mike Pence?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mike Pence?  (Read 2932 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:37:55 PM »

What about him? If Evan Bayh is thinking about the Governorship, maybe he won't run for re-election and instead run for President. Thoughts?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:44:46 PM »

The ghost of the jmfcsts remains.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »

It's possible.

From what I've heard he has a strong appeal to Huckabee voters, as well as fiscal conservatives.

He was also interested in the job in 2012, before deciding he'd rather take a safe shot at Governor.

He has a few weaknesses though. He'd have to choose between a second term and a presidential primary where he'll start out as a second-tier candidate. I'm not sure he's all that talented politically, especially when you consider that he barely won the gubernatorial election in a state where Romney won by ten.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »

It's possible.

From what I've heard he has a strong appeal to Huckabee voters, as well as fiscal conservatives.

He was also interested in the job in 2012, before deciding he'd rather take a safe shot at Governor.

He has a few weaknesses though. He'd have to choose between a second term and a presidential primary where he'll start out as a second-tier candidate. I'm not sure he's all that talented politically, especially when you consider that he barely won the gubernatorial election in a state where Romney won by ten.

I guess that's true, but what's ignored is that John Gregg was actually a pretty good candidate from the Democrats. He was the Speaker of the Indiana House, and the polls were fairly close throughout. As well, I think Mourdock drew him down and Gregg was kind of a Donelly moderate. Plus polls were all close, if that matters much. Also Boneham was clearly cutting down Pence's margin.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »

Possible, but unlikely.

He'd really have to prove himself over others like Christie, Rubio, Paul, Ryan, etc. depending on who runs. It really depends on how he does as Governor. If he is at least somewhat successful like Daniels, he could cast himself as a principled conservative to the base but also not jeapordized his general election chances on fiscal credentials.

Me thinks 2nd run for Governor, despite the 2016 hype.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:28:16 PM »

After some of the stunts he has pulled, there is no way he would have my vote in a primary. That being said, I think he'd be a viable candidate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »

It seemed like he wanted to run for prez in 2012, but didn't think that there was a viable path to the nomination for someone in the House, and chose to run for governor, as a launching pad for president in a future election.  By that logic, he might leave the governorship after one term to run for prez in 2016.

But he hasn't actually done anything yet, to indicate that he's laying the groundwork for 2016.  Maybe he'll go for a second term for governor, and then run for president in 2020.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »

Pence is a guy with the potential to be a conservative who doesn't scare people.  And waiting to 2020 would not be bad.  Hillary is a strong candidate for 2016 and the GOP, as a party, does not have their house in order.  Once they go South with their silliness in 2016, someone will be sought out to keep the GOP conservative, but not so unpopular as to be a permanent Presidential underdog.  Pence is well-positioned, much better than many,
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »

Well he is both liked by the Tea Party and Establishment Republicans. That's definitely a plus nowadays.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »

We're already seeing problems with Obamacare such as the glitch in software. Evan Bayh will have to defend his vote for it. I can see our party getting all over him for being part of the problem and being the deciding vote in the senate to end the filibuster as every single one of the 60 Democrats could be labeled as. This is why he didn't run for re-election. I'm sure he didn't just happen to want to spend time with his family like every other politician who retires or steps down.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »

We're already seeing problems with Obamacare such as the glitch in software. Evan Bayh will have to defend his vote for it. I can see our party getting all over him for being part of the problem and being the deciding vote in the senate to end the filibuster as every single one of the 60 Democrats could be labeled as. This is why he didn't run for re-election. I'm sure he didn't just happen to want to spend time with his family like every other politician who retires or steps down.
There are no deciding votes in the Senate. Plus, it's gonna be pretty hard to nationalize a gubernatorial race against one of the states most popular politicians, especially one as well liked and connected as Evan Bayh.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »

It seemed like he wanted to run for prez in 2012, but didn't think that there was a viable path to the nomination for someone in the House, and chose to run for governor, as a launching pad for president in a future election.  By that logic, he might leave the governorship after one term to run for prez in 2016.

But he hasn't actually done anything yet, to indicate that he's laying the groundwork for 2016.  Maybe he'll go for a second term for governor, and then run for president in 2020.

Considering his low margin in 2012 in a state Romney won by ten, he would probably have to get impressive reelection numbers in 2016 (or at least defeat a top-tier candidate like Bayh) to impress voters.

Otherwise, there wouldn't be enough that makes him stand out.

He faces reelection against one of the most popular governors in state history seeking the office again. I'd retire from governor in 2016 and endorse Evan Bayh for the office, while running for President in the same year.
Endorsing the Democrat is not going to be the way to get conservative votes.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »

There are no deciding votes in the Senate. Plus, it's gonna be pretty hard to nationalize a gubernatorial race against one of the states most popular politicians, especially one as well liked and connected as Evan Bayh.

He's a good politician with connections but it doesn't mean they'll be happy with Obamacare. There are deciding votes in the senate and that's each and every one of the 60 Democrats who voted in favor of Obamacare because had it been 59-41, there would have been a further filibuster. All 60 Democrats have this label.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »

He's a good politician with connections but it doesn't mean they'll be happy with Obamacare. There are deciding votes in the senate and that's each and every one of the 60 Democrats who voted in favor of Obamacare because had it been 59-41, there would have been a further filibuster. All 60 Democrats have this label.
No. Everyone can't be the deciding vote on something. That's just not how crap works.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »

No. Everyone can't be the deciding vote on something. That's just not how crap works.

In 1994, the Republican party wisely portrayed every single Democrat in the House who voted for Hillarycare. It got 218 votes and every single one of the 218 Democrats were labeled as such. For the first time in 40 years, the Republicans won the House. This is part of why.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 01:05:04 PM »

In 1994, the Republican party wisely portrayed every single Democrat in the House who voted for Hillarycare. It got 218 votes and every single one of the 218 Democrats were labeled as such. For the first time in 40 years, the Republicans won the House. This is part of why.

Republicans already did this in 2010. Now they are facing the consequences of those actions in 2014, much like Republicans faced some consequences in 1998.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »

The deciding vote for Obamacare was Ben Nelson, as he was the final holdout.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »

Republicans already did this in 2010. Now they are facing the consequences of those actions in 2014, much like Republicans faced some consequences in 1998.

It worked in 2010 and will work even better in 2014 when Obama  care is in effect.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »

Considering his low margin in 2012 in a state Romney won by ten, he would probably have to get impressive reelection numbers in 2016 (or at least defeat a top-tier candidate like Bayh) to impress voters.

Otherwise, there wouldn't be enough that makes him stand out.

He faces reelection against one of the most popular governors in state history seeking the office again. I'd retire from governor in 2016 and endorse Evan Bayh for the office, while running for President in the same year.
Endorsing the Democrat is not going to be the way to get conservative votes.

Pence's margins were depressed in part by Mitch Daniels' late signing of a Right-To-Work bill, after explicitly stating in two (2) separate campaigns that he would not do so.  There were a number of union members not all that thrilled with Obama that were, nonetheless, not happy with Daniels.  Not enough to push the Democrat over the top, however.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »

Possible but highly doubtful. He hasn't shown any interest and doesn't really have a current national profile.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 06:36:59 PM »

Pence is a guy with the potential to be a conservative who doesn't scare people.  And waiting to 2020 would not be bad.  Hillary is a strong candidate for 2016 and the GOP, as a party, does not have their house in order.  Once they go South with their silliness in 2016, someone will be sought out to keep the GOP conservative, but not so unpopular as to be a permanent Presidential underdog.  Pence is well-positioned, much better than many,

I cant believe I posted this.

I may end up being right about 2020, but for different reasons.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 11:05:00 PM »

I highly doubt that Pence has the political chops to win a presidential primary, much less a general election. He barely won the 2012 Indiana gubernatorial by only two points, not even securing a majority of the popular vote; this was the closest gubernatorial election in Indiana in the last sixty years. He doesn't have the populist appeal of Trump, he wouldn't be able to hold onto the Trump's gains in the Rust Belt.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »

I highly doubt that Pence has the political chops to win a presidential primary, much less a general election. He barely won the 2012 Indiana gubernatorial by only two points, not even securing a majority of the popular vote; this was the closest gubernatorial election in Indiana in the last sixty years. He doesn't have the populist appeal of Trump, he wouldn't be able to hold onto the Trump's gains in the Rust Belt.

Actually Pence won Indiana by 3%, Indeed, Pence is too Conservative for the General.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 11:19:02 AM »

More surprising than the thread itself is the optimism that in October 2013 the Republicans were going to "face the consequences" of opposing Obamacare.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 05:54:01 PM »

More surprising than the thread itself is the optimism that in October 2013 the Republicans were going to "face the consequences" of opposing Obamacare.

Well, in 2018 and 2020 they will face the consequences of opposing Obamacare, while simultaneously facing the consequences of failing to repeal it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies