Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:59:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 129039 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 28, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »

Pretty bummed out about Pete Seeger dying.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #251 on: January 28, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »

Update
I changed my signature image for the first time since Wendy Davis announced last October. Cheesy
For those who have signatures turned off click here to see the image.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #252 on: January 28, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »

Classes have been cancelled tomorrow too. We still haven't seen a drop of snow off ice...
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #253 on: January 28, 2014, 05:37:41 PM »

I waited 45 minutes for my bus home yesterday. Given that is very cold and windy (hence creating snow tornadoes and massive blowing snow gusts), I would have understood something like 10 minutes, but since I was freezing after 45 minutes at the bus stop, I was flaming when it finally decided to show up. Public transit is a disaster.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #254 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »

I have to deal with more sage kids.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »

The constant minor inconveniences of everyday life are eating away at my mental health. I guess. I took a sickie to help recuperate my sanity and help with some errands but now I just feel like a failure because if I pulled through I could've at least gone to work late and dealt with home obligations later. In summary I feel like I've let myself down by talking a day of to process how I can grapple with letting myself down. That's some dumb sh**t.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #256 on: January 30, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »

With the cancelling of my classes today, I have had an entire week off class. I guess that's what they get for cutting our winter break by a week this school year. Karma is a bitch.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2014, 02:27:37 AM »

Here's to hoping tonight's as successful as last Friday night.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2014, 02:33:43 AM »

Here's to hoping tonight's as successful as last Friday night.

This sounds kinda creepy without context, sawbro
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »

Made history as the first white man to order grits at Denny's. The waiter confirmed my suspicians before I could ask.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2014, 11:12:04 AM »

This is not an update about me (I have nothing interesting to say about my own life), but...

A friend of mine from college has been been using game theory to dominate Jeopardy! all week.  And has also been using Twitter to expertly fend off the various dimwits and racists who don't like that he's playing to win, or that he's Asian and kind of frumpy.

Apparently there's a three week break for various tournaments, but he'll be back after that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2014, 12:53:09 PM »

This is not an update about me (I have nothing interesting to say about my own life), but...

A friend of mine from college has been been using game theory to dominate Jeopardy! all week.  And has also been using Twitter to expertly fend off the various dimwits and racists who don't like that he's playing to win, or that he's Asian and kind of frumpy.

Apparently there's a three week break for various tournaments, but he'll be back after that.
My parents watch it every night and have been rooting for him. I don't think they have noticed his clever strategy.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »

Haha, FF.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2014, 01:45:27 PM »

I hope that you aren't offended that I've been rooting against your friend all week. There are few things in this world that bother me more than people who play Jeopardy! the way that he does Tongue
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »

So..I've drank about half a bottle of bourbon in the past half hour. Why? Because 5 months ago I was the reason my best friend died... I'm the reason she is dead. I've never admitted it to anyone other than my brother. I'm such a scumbag. I think I'm going to go finish this bottle. buhbye
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #265 on: February 01, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »

So..I've drank about half a bottle of bourbon in the past half hour. Why? Because 5 months ago I was the reason my best friend died... I'm the reason she is dead. I've never admitted it to anyone other than my brother. I'm such a scumbag. I think I'm going to go finish this bottle. buhbye

Sad

Hang in there. Don't beat yourself up over it, and please don't do anything you'll regret later.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2014, 09:02:57 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2014, 09:29:30 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Bushie, you need therapy. It is okay and constructive and worth the money. Consider it an opportunity to understand yourself through the lens of a caring professional. I know that heartland America thinks therapy is for the dysfunctional outliers. Edit: wrong update but it doesn't matter because bushoklahoma isn't real.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »

Andrew, whatever it is, you need to calm and focus. None of this is the answer to anything... I think you should talk to someone, in as anonymous a way as you need to.
Foucaulf
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »

Let's kick the sperg up another notch. Whatever his strategy is, there's nothing "game theory" about it. The only thing that comes close is the final wager strategy, and the guy from whom he got the idea is only doing some simple backwards induction.

The only real problem is: why has it taken so long for someone to do what he has done? Anyone with an above-even probability of guessing all Daily Doubles can deprive others of such chances. I'm going to hypothesize that historic Jeopardy players did not have the Internet, and the fluidity of difficult trivia in multiple fields it provides. The norm entrenches itself and all that. I can't imagine his answering probability being so high to last him 74 games...
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #269 on: February 03, 2014, 12:52:27 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2014, 12:58:58 PM by traininthedistance »

A friend of mine from college has been been using game theory to dominate Jeopardy! all week.  And has also been using Twitter to expertly fend off the various dimwits and racists who don't like that he's playing to win, or that he's Asian and kind of frumpy.

I hope that you aren't offended that I've been rooting against your friend all week. There are few things in this world that bother me more than people who play Jeopardy! the way that he does Tongue

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Let's kick the sperg up another notch. Whatever his strategy is, there's nothing "game theory" about it. The only thing that comes close is the final wager strategy, and the guy from whom he got the idea is only doing some simple backwards induction.

The only real problem is: why has it taken so long for someone to do what he has done? Anyone with an above-even probability of guessing all Daily Doubles can deprive others of such chances. I'm going to hypothesize that historic Jeopardy players did not have the Internet, and the fluidity of difficult trivia in multiple fields it provides. The norm entrenches itself and all that. I can't imagine his answering probability being so high to last him 74 games...

Well, there's also the aggressive betting on Daily Doubles, but perhaps "game theory" is a bit grandiose to categorize all of the strategy here.

Most people don't think to do it, and some who do probably think it goes against some sort of imaginary sense of norms or traditions. And of course he's not the first person to do all of these things.  It's pretty similar to why (American) football teams don't go for it on 4th down, even though the numbers say they should.

This was all taped a couple months ago; no idea how long it'll keep going on but I can say that he's not still taping episodes; presumably the streak ended at some point.  What that point is, not too many folks know, and those that do have a nice NDA to keep their mouths shut.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #270 on: February 05, 2014, 12:15:09 AM »

My diminishing reservoirs of moral patience, to which Atlas Forum has been subjected for by my count about a year, are starting to diminish in my offline life as well, and I'm actually beginning to be seriously concerned about my ability to maintain some of my friendships. I feel profoundly guilty and I'm scared.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2014, 12:19:53 AM »

A girl I go to school with has been dropping compliments my way nearly every time we see each other. Today, at the school club fair, I visited her club and asked her questions and gawked at the prices she was charging to join. I then asked her if I could have a donut, and she said "you can have whatever you want because I think you're really cute."

This was as direct as she's ever been. I'm not sure what to do next. She has a back tattoo, and I am inherently opposed to tattoos on girls, but maybe I'll make an exception for her. She has a great body. But she could also be crazy....
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2014, 06:40:08 AM »

A girl I go to school with has been dropping compliments my way nearly every time we see each other. Today, at the school club fair, I visited her club and asked her questions and gawked at the prices she was charging to join. I then asked her if I could have a donut, and she said "you can have whatever you want because I think you're really cute."

This was as direct as she's ever been. I'm not sure what to do next. She has a back tattoo, and I am inherently opposed to tattoos on girls, but maybe I'll make an exception for her. She has a great body. But she could also be crazy....

Ahem. You know what you need to do so do it.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »

But have a taser and a restraining order ready, just in case.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »

But have a taser and a restraining order ready, just in case.

This is why Polnut is one of our most valued members.  I'm thinking with the little brain only and he thinks with the big one as well.  Bravo!  Although Dukey does remind me of someone who has used both a taser and restraining order.....  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies