Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2019, 11:59:31 pm
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: NYGurl, Cath, TJ in Oregon)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 66 Print
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 98779 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2014, 07:43:46 pm »

So..I've drank about half a bottle of bourbon in the past half hour. Why? Because 5 months ago I was the reason my best friend died... I'm the reason she is dead. I've never admitted it to anyone other than my brother. I'm such a scumbag. I think I'm going to go finish this bottle. buhbye
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.84, S: -3.04

« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2014, 07:52:37 pm »

So..I've drank about half a bottle of bourbon in the past half hour. Why? Because 5 months ago I was the reason my best friend died... I'm the reason she is dead. I've never admitted it to anyone other than my brother. I'm such a scumbag. I think I'm going to go finish this bottle. buhbye

Sad

Hang in there. Don't beat yourself up over it, and please don't do anything you'll regret later.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2014, 08:54:07 pm »

Posting from a brother's laptop. We're currently chilling in our room and waiting for the last event to start--the group photo--before we head over to Hooters for dinner. For myself and another, this would be our second time eating there today. Mid-Year's been pretty awesome, though we're gonna have too book it back from St. Louis to Detroit tomorrow so we can catch the Superbowl and I can do some damned homework before Monday.
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2014, 09:02:57 pm »
« Edited: February 01, 2014, 09:29:30 pm by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Bushie, you need therapy. It is okay and constructive and worth the money. Consider it an opportunity to understand yourself through the lens of a caring professional. I know that heartland America thinks therapy is for the dysfunctional outliers. Edit: wrong update but it doesn't matter because bushoklahoma isn't real.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #304 on: February 01, 2014, 09:47:23 pm »

Andrew, whatever it is, you need to calm and focus. None of this is the answer to anything... I think you should talk to someone, in as anonymous a way as you need to.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2014, 10:55:28 pm »

Mid-Year's finally wrapped up! Eating with the brothers I came with & some from CA at Hooters again.
Foucaulf
YaBB God

« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »

This is not an update about me (I have nothing interesting to say about my own life), but...

A friend of mine from college has been been using game theory to dominate Jeopardy! all week.  And has also been using Twitter to expertly fend off the various dimwits and racists who don't like that he's playing to win, or that he's Asian and kind of frumpy.

Apparently there's a three week break for various tournaments, but he'll be back after that.

Let's kick the sperg up another notch. Whatever his strategy is, there's nothing "game theory" about it. The only thing that comes close is the final wager strategy, and the guy from whom he got the idea is only doing some simple backwards induction.

The only real problem is: why has it taken so long for someone to do what he has done? Anyone with an above-even probability of guessing all Daily Doubles can deprive others of such chances. I'm going to hypothesize that historic Jeopardy players did not have the Internet, and the fluidity of difficult trivia in multiple fields it provides. The norm entrenches itself and all that. I can't imagine his answering probability being so high to last him 74 games...
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #307 on: February 03, 2014, 12:52:27 pm »
« Edited: February 03, 2014, 12:58:58 pm by traininthedistance »

A friend of mine from college has been been using game theory to dominate Jeopardy! all week.  And has also been using Twitter to expertly fend off the various dimwits and racists who don't like that he's playing to win, or that he's Asian and kind of frumpy.

I hope that you aren't offended that I've been rooting against your friend all week. There are few things in this world that bother me more than people who play Jeopardy! the way that he does Tongue

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

This is not an update about me (I have nothing interesting to say about my own life), but...

A friend of mine from college has been been using game theory to dominate Jeopardy! all week.  And has also been using Twitter to expertly fend off the various dimwits and racists who don't like that he's playing to win, or that he's Asian and kind of frumpy.

Apparently there's a three week break for various tournaments, but he'll be back after that.

Let's kick the sperg up another notch. Whatever his strategy is, there's nothing "game theory" about it. The only thing that comes close is the final wager strategy, and the guy from whom he got the idea is only doing some simple backwards induction.

The only real problem is: why has it taken so long for someone to do what he has done? Anyone with an above-even probability of guessing all Daily Doubles can deprive others of such chances. I'm going to hypothesize that historic Jeopardy players did not have the Internet, and the fluidity of difficult trivia in multiple fields it provides. The norm entrenches itself and all that. I can't imagine his answering probability being so high to last him 74 games...

Well, there's also the aggressive betting on Daily Doubles, but perhaps "game theory" is a bit grandiose to categorize all of the strategy here.

Most people don't think to do it, and some who do probably think it goes against some sort of imaginary sense of norms or traditions. And of course he's not the first person to do all of these things.  It's pretty similar to why (American) football teams don't go for it on 4th down, even though the numbers say they should.

This was all taped a couple months ago; no idea how long it'll keep going on but I can say that he's not still taping episodes; presumably the streak ended at some point.  What that point is, not too many folks know, and those that do have a nice NDA to keep their mouths shut.
Hugo Award nominee
Nathan
YaBB God

« Reply #308 on: February 05, 2014, 12:15:09 am »

My diminishing reservoirs of moral patience, to which Atlas Forum has been subjected for by my count about a year, are starting to diminish in my offline life as well, and I'm actually beginning to be seriously concerned about my ability to maintain some of my friendships. I feel profoundly guilty and I'm scared.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #309 on: February 05, 2014, 12:19:53 am »

A girl I go to school with has been dropping compliments my way nearly every time we see each other. Today, at the school club fair, I visited her club and asked her questions and gawked at the prices she was charging to join. I then asked her if I could have a donut, and she said "you can have whatever you want because I think you're really cute."

This was as direct as she's ever been. I'm not sure what to do next. She has a back tattoo, and I am inherently opposed to tattoos on girls, but maybe I'll make an exception for her. She has a great body. But she could also be crazy....
Good Grumps With A Gun
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Russian Federation
« Reply #310 on: February 05, 2014, 06:40:08 am »

A girl I go to school with has been dropping compliments my way nearly every time we see each other. Today, at the school club fair, I visited her club and asked her questions and gawked at the prices she was charging to join. I then asked her if I could have a donut, and she said "you can have whatever you want because I think you're really cute."

This was as direct as she's ever been. I'm not sure what to do next. She has a back tattoo, and I am inherently opposed to tattoos on girls, but maybe I'll make an exception for her. She has a great body. But she could also be crazy....

Ahem. You know what you need to do so do it.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #311 on: February 05, 2014, 09:31:58 am »

But have a taser and a restraining order ready, just in case.
Good Grumps With A Gun
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Russian Federation
« Reply #312 on: February 05, 2014, 09:41:34 am »

But have a taser and a restraining order ready, just in case.

This is why Polnut is one of our most valued members.  I'm thinking with the little brain only and he thinks with the big one as well.  Bravo!  Although Dukey does remind me of someone who has used both a taser and restraining order.....  Wink
Sol
YaBB God

« Reply #313 on: February 05, 2014, 12:00:45 pm »

Dude, you're okay. Definitely talk to someone if you can, man. Hang in there.
Mayor Steve Pearce
SawxDem
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2014, 02:05:49 pm »

I'm getting somewhere with a girl too. Trying to figure out if I want something more serious - all I know is that I want more than friends, and from what I've read she wants more too.
Snowstalker's Last Stand
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Greece

« Reply #315 on: February 05, 2014, 02:08:24 pm »

I'm getting somewhere with a girl too. Trying to figure out if I want something more serious - all I know is that I want more than friends, and from what I've read she wants more too.

But you're already taken Sawxy Wink.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #316 on: February 05, 2014, 02:26:56 pm »

My diminishing reservoirs of moral patience, to which Atlas Forum has been subjected for by my count about a year, are starting to diminish in my offline life as well, and I'm actually beginning to be seriously concerned about my ability to maintain some of my friendships. I feel profoundly guilty and I'm scared.

What's making you think that, Nathan?  Is anything bugging you in particular?
Traitor-crats
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P

« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »

How big of a tattoo is it? I also detest tattoos, especially the really large ones that cover a whole back/arm/leg.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2014, 03:26:33 pm »

How big of a tattoo is it? I also detest tattoos, especially the really large ones that cover a whole back/arm/leg.

It covers her entire back. If it was small, I wouldn't care, but its there and enormous.

I don't even know what her interest in me is. I don't have any tats or piercings, and she normally hangs around people like that. I could bang her, but every time I do that with anyone in law school, they turn out to be insane so...
Good Grumps With A Gun
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Russian Federation
« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »

I'm close to giving up the title Theio Grumps when it comes to Dukey.  Sad  Thankfully his bourbon addiction and being Greek keeps him close to my heart.
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.21, S: -1.91

« Reply #320 on: February 05, 2014, 03:33:36 pm »

Duke, is it an artistic hipster tattoo, or a gross trampy one?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #321 on: February 05, 2014, 04:07:19 pm »

I'm close to giving up the title Theio Grumps when it comes to Dukey.  Sad  Thankfully his bourbon addiction and being Greek keeps him close to my heart.

Why would you give up on me? Sad

Duke, is it an artistic hipster tattoo, or a gross trampy one?

Artistic hipster. She's artsy. It's still strange she seems so interested in me given I am not that type.
Good Grumps With A Gun
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Russian Federation
« Reply #322 on: February 05, 2014, 04:12:38 pm »

Come to think of it you've had your fill of psychotic women, so maybe you're right.  Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2014, 04:29:32 pm »

Come to think of it you've had your fill of psychotic women, so maybe you're right.  Smiley

Yes, which is why I'm so cautious nowadays. It's why I didn't pursue that greek cocktail waitress at my favorite bourbon bar either. Tongue
Lief 🐋
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2014, 05:09:15 pm »

Wait, how do you know what her unclothed back looks like in the first place??
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 66 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies