Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 128841 times)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: May 06, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

Please don't do your grad school at the same place as your undergrad school.

Why not?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #701 on: May 06, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »

Why not?

Teaching attendents already said then prospective employers prefers when the people they hire were exposed to two different schools (the mentality/focus is often different from one school to another).
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #702 on: May 06, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »

Why not?

Teaching attendents already said then prospective employers prefers when the people they hire were exposed to two different schools (the mentality/focus is often different from one school to another).

No one outside of academia cares about that.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #703 on: May 06, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »

Why not?

To some extent this depends on the field. It may not hold as true for a professional program like veterinary school. There are barely more than two dozen programs in the entire country, so I would expect the admissions process to be idiosyncratic.

Vet schools are indeed quite different. In Quebec, there is only 1 and four in English Canada. Health isn't in the same schemes than hard science.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #704 on: May 06, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »

I said goodbye--for a few months, more or less, roughly--to somebody I really love today. It went as well as it possibly could have, but I'm not okay.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #705 on: May 06, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »

Why not?

No one outside of academia cares about that.

If you're going into academia then that is important. Otherwise if it's professional school I really don't think it is important.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #706 on: May 07, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »

I have a job interview coming up Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #707 on: May 07, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »

I've chosen Kansas State University, Louisiana State University, Iowa State University, and Mississippi State University Tongue

Just out of curiosity, why? That seems like a rather eclectic assortment of schools without much common other than "X State University." What do you want to major in?

Biology, then going to a vet school. I mainly wanted to stay on the same campus if I'm going to be going to the same school for eight years.

Spending eight years at the same school sounds like a nightmare to me, but suit yourself.

You should apply to Texas A&M too.

I was looking at it, but it's 2-9k more per year than the colleges I chose Tongue

OSU has one of the best vet schools in the country. Right up there with Cornell.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #708 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »

I can't stop crying.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #709 on: May 07, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »

I started my work at PHAC and my office has a window overlooking the lake and the canal. Pretty cool.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #710 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »

Nathan, I obviously do not know the person you spoke with today nor do I know about your relationship to him or her, and I don't know how much you are willing to share with others, but if anything, I think you should talk to someone.  Anyone.  I'll probably be online for the next hour or so, so don't hesitate to message me if you would like to discuss this.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #711 on: May 08, 2014, 12:03:18 AM »

I went mushroom picking with some friends today. Got stuck trying to crawl under a rusty old barbwire fence, and gave myself some pretty nasty cuts. Then tomorrow, ive been nominated for youth of the year at the local boys and girls club. They are hosting a big dinner, and a former Sea hawks player is supposed to be in attendance!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #712 on: May 08, 2014, 12:13:44 AM »

Today, American Express called me to tell me I was under financial review and requested to see my income tax returns from the last 2 years. The rep explained that they wanted to make sure I could "support my spending." I explained to them that I was a law student and made very little income, but I received income from a trust fund and my parents and have for the last 3 years. She told me they only would consider my earned income and said in worst cases, they would SHUT DOWN the account.

I've had this card since I was in high school. I've never heard of a credit card company asking for stuff like this. I have never missed a payment nor did I run a balance on the card. I am going to send them my tax info along with my bank account and trust statements, but this is just bizarre. If they only look at my income tax returns where I made like $8K last year, they'll definitely close my account. Part of me wants to just tell them thanks but no thanks and take my business elsewhere.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #713 on: May 08, 2014, 05:09:26 AM »

Today, American Express called me to tell me I was under financial review and requested to see my income tax returns from the last 2 years. The rep explained that they wanted to make sure I could "support my spending." I explained to them that I was a law student and made very little income, but I received income from a trust fund and my parents and have for the last 3 years. She told me they only would consider my earned income and said in worst cases, they would SHUT DOWN the account.

I've had this card since I was in high school. I've never heard of a credit card company asking for stuff like this. I have never missed a payment nor did I run a balance on the card. I am going to send them my tax info along with my bank account and trust statements, but this is just bizarre. If they only look at my income tax returns where I made like $8K last year, they'll definitely close my account. Part of me wants to just tell them thanks but no thanks and take my business elsewhere.

This sounds like a scam.  Call AMEX to verify.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #714 on: May 08, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »

I had laser eye surgery today. It cost me about $7000, which is quite a lot of money for me but the results are absolutely amazing - I already had (near) perfect sight three hours after the surgery. I can only recommend such a procedure if you can afford it and there's a high chance that it will have a desirable effect on your eyes. The risks are extremely low nowadays.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #715 on: May 08, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »

I had laser eye surgery today. It cost me about $7000, which is quite a lot of money for me but the results are absolutely amazing - I already had (near) perfect sight three hours after the surgery. I can only recommend such a procedure if you can afford it and there's a high chance that it will have a desirable effect on your eyes. The risks are extremely low nowadays.

I would consider it but I have an unstable prescription. I'm afraid of getting the surgery only to have my eyesight deteriorate again in 5-10 years.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #716 on: May 08, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »

It was them. I called their main office because my card was suspended from charging, and they transferred me to their review department. The woman said she didn't care about my trust or the fact that my parents were paying my bills while I was in law school; she said she needed to see my personal income...

I am going to send them my return release and I was honest about my current situation in that I worked for a wage last summer but worked pro bono the summer before. If they want to close my card, so be it. I've heard Chase has some good benefits with their cards. I've just never heard of a card company doing something like that to someone who hasn't missed any payments.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #717 on: May 08, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »

It was them. I called their main office because my card was suspended from charging, and they transferred me to their review department. The woman said she didn't care about my trust or the fact that my parents were paying my bills while I was in law school; she said she needed to see my personal income...

I am going to send them my return release and I was honest about my current situation in that I worked for a wage last summer but worked pro bono the summer before. If they want to close my card, so be it. I've heard Chase has some good benefits with their cards. I've just never heard of a card company doing something like that to someone who hasn't missed any payments.

When you're a rich mob lawyer I'd tell AMEX to go f[inks] themselves before ever getting one again.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #718 on: May 08, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »

When you're a rich mob lawyer I'd tell AMEX to go f[inks] themselves before ever getting one again.

That was my parents reaction exactly... My mom said she'd "deal with them" when she had time.

But from all I've read, I can't avoid this unless I close my card. So I either do it myself or they close it worst case. The woman told me they typically do this to see if they extended too much credit...I claimed I made something like $20K income factoring in my trust withdrawals per semester on the form and my CL is only $3K a month, so I have no clue why they are coming after me.

They can see my returns for all I care. I told them they'd find very little on them. I should send them a copy of my trust fund too with a picture of my middle finger. 
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #719 on: May 08, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »

I would consider it but I have an unstable prescription. I'm afraid of getting the surgery only to have my eyesight deteriorate again in 5-10 years.

I have been told that it's not a good idea to get eye laser surgery if you have an unstable prescription precisely because of the risk you mentioned, yeah. Indeed, from what I have read, most responsible surgeons will not do such a surgery if your prescription hasn't been stable for at least a few years.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #720 on: May 09, 2014, 12:12:14 AM »

I'm 20 now.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #721 on: May 09, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »

I have been told that it's not a good idea to get eye laser surgery if you have an unstable prescription precisely because of the risk you mentioned, yeah. Indeed, from what I have read, most responsible surgeons will not do such a surgery if your prescription hasn't been stable for at least a few years.

That's what my optometrist told me when I asked about it. My eyesight was changing as of my last check-up, but I want to look into surgery in a few years once I've paid off my student loans.  In any case, I'm glad to hear that it worked so well for you. It seems like an amazing quality of life improvement.

Thanks.

It's not that wearing glasses is horrible, of course, but as you say living without glasses or contacts is generally more comfortable. Also, the high costs are the only really unpleasant aspect about laser eye surgery. All in all, the entire laser procedure itself only takes a few minutes and is painless.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #722 on: May 09, 2014, 02:14:43 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2014, 02:16:40 AM by National Progressive »

Ma vie est merde
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #723 on: May 09, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »

I ended up submitting the form and a printout of my trust so AMEX can look at my tax returns and evaluate my "ability to pay my bills." I don't want to lose that line of credit, and I definitely will lose it if I refuse to comply. I think it's ridiculous they are asking for it, but apparently this "procedure" isn't all that uncommon. And it is real given my card is suspended and calling the main AMEX number also transferred me to this.

I did open a Chase Sapphire Preferred card in case AMEX decides I'm not worth it anymore.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #724 on: May 09, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »

I have the flu or a stomach virus or something and its the middle of finals wtf
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies