Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 128862 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: June 05, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »

Got drunk for the first time in my life yesterday! That was amazing. Cheesy

Never getting drunk before the age of 21 is truly even worse than still being a virgin by 21.
I'm 48 and I'm fairly certain I've never been drunk.  I've certainly never had a hangover, and I don't recall ever having more than three drinks in a single evening.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #826 on: June 05, 2014, 11:18:43 PM »

PBS is the biggest f[inks]ing scam on the planet.

Paid for by viewers like YOU!
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #827 on: June 05, 2014, 11:37:15 PM »

Realmente espero que usted esta siendo sarcastico
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #828 on: June 06, 2014, 12:01:42 AM »

I just spent 12 hours in hell.  I was stuck at home with no power in 95o Heat.  I am so happy I now have power.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #829 on: June 06, 2014, 12:25:16 AM »

No, I'm not. I watched a two hour Grateful Dead concert that 30 minutes of music and ninety of some old woman asking for money. Even if I gave a donation, they'd still screw me by wasting all that time demanding money from those who haven't donated. The only way this can be solved is if PBS got full funding or goes subscriber only like HBO or Sirius XM.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #830 on: June 06, 2014, 03:58:18 AM »

My brother threw up in my Mum's car following his English A.S. Paper. Another reason why its a bad idea to have a big breakfast before an exam.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #831 on: June 06, 2014, 01:44:17 PM »

So I graduated from high school yesterday. The ceremony was...moving. Our class president took a selfie on stage in front of everyone which so far has over 300 likes on Facebook.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #832 on: June 06, 2014, 05:01:17 PM »

No, I'm not. I watched a two hour Grateful Dead concert that 30 minutes of music and ninety of some old woman asking for money. Even if I gave a donation, they'd still screw me by wasting all that time demanding money from those who haven't donated. The only way this can be solved is if PBS got full funding or goes subscriber only like HBO or Sirius XM.
I'll just leave this here. Wink

But really, that sounds exactly like something Mitt Romney would say.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #833 on: June 06, 2014, 06:20:43 PM »

So I graduated from high school yesterday. The ceremony was...moving. Our class president took a selfie on stage in front of everyone which so far has over 300 likes on Facebook.

ugh
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #834 on: June 06, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »

ugh
Large selfies are the worst. They did the same at our prom, and I couldn't stand it. Taking a picture with five or six people isn't so bad...but three hundred is just asinine.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #835 on: June 06, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »

ugh

That happened at my cousin's graduation last year, too, and it was terrible (there were other reasons, too, but that was one of them).

Also Congratulations Gabe.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #836 on: June 06, 2014, 11:29:49 PM »

Got off base tonight and grabbed a hotel room in San Diego for the hell of it.  Also grabbed a bottle of Captain so I could get the hell away from that ship and make bad decision in peace.  **** might get real tonight, because I've been going through a tough few days.  Or I might just chill out and avoid going nuclear.

Stay tuned.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #837 on: June 07, 2014, 12:59:51 AM »

And I'll just go with it.  I've been very depressed for months.  I'm putting a happy face on this Navy thing for quite awhile because I feel like that's what people want me to do.   Fact is, that I'm utterly miserable, and I found out this week that the entire ship is staying in San Diego when we do next year's crew swap EXCEPT my division.  So I will be sent 15,000 miles away to Japan from anything or anyone I've even cared about, I'll be in a transient state AGAIN, and I'll be stuck without moving my life forward when it comes to finding a girl/starting a family/getting some stability for 3 more years.  Oh... and it's not like it's a part of Japan near anything.  It's some backwater rural area where I'll be stuck on base 24/7 doing jack **** when we are in port. 

I literally think I might do something very drastic and I'm trying to hold it together, but at the end of the day this was a huge mistake that I rushed into for no real reason other than student loans and thinking that it might help a prospective political career and I just want to go back to Jersey.  

(I've been drinking so take that into account if you read this)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #838 on: June 07, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2014, 08:48:55 PM by Flo »

"Yo llegue a ver un concierto gratuito por PBS!"

"Si usted dona diez dólares, estaramos capaces de seguir al aire este programa y otros similares."

"Oh, no! Me estan pidiendo que donen para que puedan *jadeos* AIRE MAS PROGRAMACION??? ESTO ES UN ULTRAJE!"
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #839 on: June 07, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »

"Si usted dona diez dólares, estaramos capaces de seguir al aire este programa y otros similares."

"Oh, no! Me estan pidiendo que donen para que puedan *jadeos* AIRE MAS PROGRAMACION??? ESTO ES UN ULTRAJE!"
1. It was not a concert. It was six songs totaling sixty minutes, and ninety minutes of requests for money.
2. Suppose I donate. I still have to watch an hour and a half of requests for more money from the remainder of the viewers.
3. I have this concert as part of a DVD set of Grateful Dead shows that I got for Christmas last year; I’ve watched it enough times to know that they cut out most of the good stuff that Deadheads (IE, the Paulites of the rock world) would love.

So how is this “free” when they aren’t airing a quality program? How is it fair for the people who support PBS when they have to wade through the hours of money requests from those who don’t pay? I only watched this because I was too lazy to get the DVD and it happened to be on. I wouldn’t have paid to watch it when I already own it, keep in mind. Clearly, PBS needs to be privatized, the rights of the useful, uninterrupted educational children’s programming sold to NBC, and the rest of PBS needs to be converted into a subscriber service, since most of PBS’s devoted viewers are also devoted donors. Why should they suffer through the money requests to people like me who aren’t going to pay for this?

So, in short, it was not a free program-it wasn't a program. It was PBS using the Grateful Dead (who allowed fans to film and record all of their concerts and didn't try to profit off their audience anymore than what was needed to keep the band afloat) to hit people for money. It violated the very spirit of the Grateful Dead, and the sad thing was is that this is supposed to be Public television-if it's for everybody, it should be quality television.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #840 on: June 07, 2014, 10:29:20 PM »

And I'll just go with it.  I've been very depressed for months.  I'm putting a happy face on this Navy thing for quite awhile because I feel like that's what people want me to do.   Fact is, that I'm utterly miserable, and I found out this week that the entire ship is staying in San Diego when we do next year's crew swap EXCEPT my division.  So I will be sent 15,000 miles away to Japan from anything or anyone I've even cared about, I'll be in a transient state AGAIN, and I'll be stuck without moving my life forward when it comes to finding a girl/starting a family/getting some stability for 3 more years.  Oh... and it's not like it's a part of Japan near anything.  It's some backwater rural area where I'll be stuck on base 24/7 doing jack **** when we are in port. 

I literally think I might do something very drastic and I'm trying to hold it together, but at the end of the day this was a huge mistake that I rushed into for no real reason other than student loans and thinking that it might help a prospective political career and I just want to go back to Jersey.  

(I've been drinking so take that into account if you read this)
I'm sorry dude. Just remember its always possible to take advantage of unhappy circumstances- even sh[inks] has a silver lining.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #841 on: June 08, 2014, 12:36:43 AM »

1. It was not a concert. It was six songs totaling sixty minutes, and ninety minutes of requests for money.
2. Suppose I donate. I still have to watch an hour and a half of requests for more money from the remainder of the viewers.
3. I have this concert as part of a DVD set of Grateful Dead shows that I got for Christmas last year; I’ve watched it enough times to know that they cut out most of the good stuff that Deadheads (IE, the Paulites of the rock world) would love.

So how is this “free” when they aren’t airing a quality program? How is it fair for the people who support PBS when they have to wade through the hours of money requests from those who don’t pay? I only watched this because I was too lazy to get the DVD and it happened to be on. I wouldn’t have paid to watch it when I already own it, keep in mind. Clearly, PBS needs to be privatized, the rights of the useful, uninterrupted educational children’s programming sold to NBC, and the rest of PBS needs to be converted into a subscriber service, since most of PBS’s devoted viewers are also devoted donors. Why should they suffer through the money requests to people like me who aren’t going to pay for this?

So, in short, it was not a free program-it wasn't a program. It was PBS using the Grateful Dead (who allowed fans to film and record all of their concerts and didn't try to profit off their audience anymore than what was needed to keep the band afloat) to hit people for money. It violated the very spirit of the Grateful Dead, and the sad thing was is that this is supposed to be Public television-if it's for everybody, it should be quality television.

Creo que la unica cosa aceptable para hacer en ese momento es poner una pistola en la cabeza de la gente quienes no donan nada (por favor no privatizar la television publica).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #842 on: June 08, 2014, 01:16:43 AM »

Creo que la unica cosa aceptable para hacer en ese momento es poner una pistola en la cabeza de la gente quienes no donan nada (por favor no privatizar la television publica).

Solución justa, pero ¿por qué estamos hablando en español?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #843 on: June 08, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »

Solución justa, pero ¿por qué estamos hablando en español?

No hay una buena razon para no hacerlo.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #844 on: June 08, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »

You had the rotten luck to be watching during a fund drive. They only happen a few times a year; PBS is usually very much not like that. I agree that they're just this side of completely intolerable and if PBS was actually properly publicly funded as its name implies it would be better for all concerned.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #845 on: June 09, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »

Last night in the Bay Area, coming back home tomorrow.  Haven't seen much of Atlas all week, which is probably a good thing.

I will say, and this will probably come as an insult to both cities though it's not really meant as such, but my first impression of San Fran was intensely reminiscent of Washington, D.C.  After a couple days and some exploring that sense faded somewhat, but it's not entirely gone.  Obviously the two factors that led to this impression were the fact that BART and the DC Metro are very very similar systems, as well as similar architecture (and general lack of tall buildings) in the "nicer" residential areas.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #846 on: June 09, 2014, 03:06:34 AM »

I've spent a decent amount of time in both cities (more than any other cities, in fact) and never gotten that impression, but I adore San Francisco and don't really care for Washington much at all. To me Washington seems awfully artificial; the immense tourist trap that is the federal buildings in the heart of the city serves as a real impediment to the creation of real communities like San Francisco has. But then I suppose I feel compelled to leap to the defense of my city because it does read like a bit of an insult. I'll have to keep this in mind when I go back to DC and environs in September; perhaps that'll make me appreciate it a little more.

The comparison of BART to the DC Metro is interesting; last week I rode BART for what I think was the second time ever (BART doesn't run to Santa Clara County, where I've lived my whole life) and I was struck by how familiar it felt. I wasn't entirely sure whether the similarity was unusual, since the Metro is the only subway system I've used extensively, but I guess it was.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #847 on: June 09, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »

I've spent a decent amount of time in both cities (more than any other cities, in fact) and never gotten that impression, but I adore San Francisco and don't really care for Washington much at all. To me Washington seems awfully artificial; the immense tourist trap that is the federal buildings in the heart of the city serves as a real impediment to the creation of real communities like San Francisco has. But then I suppose I feel compelled to leap to the defense of my city because it does read like a bit of an insult. I'll have to keep this in mind when I go back to DC and environs in September; perhaps that'll make me appreciate it a little more.

The comparison of BART to the DC Metro is interesting; last week I rode BART for what I think was the second time ever (BART doesn't run to Santa Clara County, where I've lived my whole life) and I was struck by how familiar it felt. I wasn't entirely sure whether the similarity was unusual, since the Metro is the only subway system I've used extensively, but I guess it was.

Well, both BART and the Metro date from similar times (70s basically); have similar looking cars, station architecture, and even system maps; serve a sort of hybrid function that is half subway and half commuter rail; and have fares based on distance (which is unusual to someone most familiar with Philly and NYC, which are very different systems but are united in not having that feature.) 

I definitely find DC to feel very artificial through and through (and, being the New Yorker I am, blame it on their really restrictive height limits); TBH my initial impression of SF in areas like Pacific Heights and along Valencia Street actually conveyed much of the same feeling and you're entirely right to want to rebut that.  Ultimately the more time I spent here the more areas I found that didn't have that problem, and the downtown area (which I didn't really spend time in until my final day here)  is unquestionably better than DC.

And obviously Berkeley and Oakland are pretty great too.

In general I would say that I prefer the Bay Area to the DC area, the one caveat being that Metro is somewhat better than BART (more coverage especially in the center city; more frequent service).  Also it's a little crazy that there's an alphabet soup of at least a dozen different transit operators- BART, Muni, Caltrain, a different bus operator for each county more or less- instead of just one for the region. 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #848 on: June 09, 2014, 01:38:43 PM »

I've spent a decent amount of time in both cities (more than any other cities, in fact) and never gotten that impression, but I adore San Francisco and don't really care for Washington much at all. To me Washington seems awfully artificial; the immense tourist trap that is the federal buildings in the heart of the city serves as a real impediment to the creation of real communities like San Francisco has.

I've always felt it strange when people talk about "real communities" in a city. For one thing, if you are not a part of those communities, why do you care? What value does it bring to you? On the other hand, if you are a part of a community, then again, I would say it's more about your personal connections than the physical space. I can see myself living in the middle of a relatively close residential "community" and yet still be quite isolated. So what you're talking about is really the snobbery of preferring one type of city to another.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #849 on: June 10, 2014, 03:04:38 PM »

3rd week of studying for the bar, and I've never wanted to die as badly as I do right now.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies