Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 07, 2019, 06:28:04 am
News: 2020 Presidential Predictions (Primary) are now active.

Atlas Forum
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: TG, TJ in Oregon, Speaker YE)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 66 Print
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 102240 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: June 09, 2014, 01:30:21 pm »

I've spent a decent amount of time in both cities (more than any other cities, in fact) and never gotten that impression, but I adore San Francisco and don't really care for Washington much at all. To me Washington seems awfully artificial; the immense tourist trap that is the federal buildings in the heart of the city serves as a real impediment to the creation of real communities like San Francisco has. But then I suppose I feel compelled to leap to the defense of my city because it does read like a bit of an insult. I'll have to keep this in mind when I go back to DC and environs in September; perhaps that'll make me appreciate it a little more.

The comparison of BART to the DC Metro is interesting; last week I rode BART for what I think was the second time ever (BART doesn't run to Santa Clara County, where I've lived my whole life) and I was struck by how familiar it felt. I wasn't entirely sure whether the similarity was unusual, since the Metro is the only subway system I've used extensively, but I guess it was.

Well, both BART and the Metro date from similar times (70s basically); have similar looking cars, station architecture, and even system maps; serve a sort of hybrid function that is half subway and half commuter rail; and have fares based on distance (which is unusual to someone most familiar with Philly and NYC, which are very different systems but are united in not having that feature.) 

I definitely find DC to feel very artificial through and through (and, being the New Yorker I am, blame it on their really restrictive height limits); TBH my initial impression of SF in areas like Pacific Heights and along Valencia Street actually conveyed much of the same feeling and you're entirely right to want to rebut that.  Ultimately the more time I spent here the more areas I found that didn't have that problem, and the downtown area (which I didn't really spend time in until my final day here)  is unquestionably better than DC.

And obviously Berkeley and Oakland are pretty great too.

In general I would say that I prefer the Bay Area to the DC area, the one caveat being that Metro is somewhat better than BART (more coverage especially in the center city; more frequent service).  Also it's a little crazy that there's an alphabet soup of at least a dozen different transit operators- BART, Muni, Caltrain, a different bus operator for each county more or less- instead of just one for the region. 
Beet
YaBB God

« Reply #1001 on: June 09, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »

I've spent a decent amount of time in both cities (more than any other cities, in fact) and never gotten that impression, but I adore San Francisco and don't really care for Washington much at all. To me Washington seems awfully artificial; the immense tourist trap that is the federal buildings in the heart of the city serves as a real impediment to the creation of real communities like San Francisco has.

I've always felt it strange when people talk about "real communities" in a city. For one thing, if you are not a part of those communities, why do you care? What value does it bring to you? On the other hand, if you are a part of a community, then again, I would say it's more about your personal connections than the physical space. I can see myself living in the middle of a relatively close residential "community" and yet still be quite isolated. So what you're talking about is really the snobbery of preferring one type of city to another.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.84, S: -3.04

P
« Reply #1002 on: June 10, 2014, 03:04:38 pm »

3rd week of studying for the bar, and I've never wanted to die as badly as I do right now.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1003 on: June 10, 2014, 03:21:43 pm »

3rd week of studying for the bar, and I've never wanted to die as badly as I do right now.

I feel for you man (even if what your doing is probably ten times harder than the stuff I'm doing) Sad. Ah well, the day of freedom must come eventually Smiley
Flake
Flo
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1004 on: June 11, 2014, 04:23:51 pm »

I just applied for a job at McDonalds Tongue
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1005 on: June 11, 2014, 06:37:11 pm »

Good luck!
Epstein Didnít Kill Himself
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1006 on: June 11, 2014, 07:09:36 pm »

Good luck indeed; I worked fast food last summer and lasted six weeks. I moved 20,000 pounds worth of concrete with my dad yesterday in 91 degree heat and enjoyed it more Tongue. Less pressure and forklifts are pretty fun.
TDAS04
YaBB God
Nepal

« Reply #1007 on: June 11, 2014, 08:38:16 pm »

Hope it goes well! Smiley
Flake
Flo
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1008 on: June 11, 2014, 10:09:32 pm »

Good luck indeed; I worked fast food last summer and lasted six weeks. I moved 20,000 pounds worth of concrete with my dad yesterday in 91 degree heat and enjoyed it more Tongue. Less pressure and forklifts are pretty fun.

Thanks Smiley
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1009 on: June 11, 2014, 10:17:11 pm »

My high-on housemates are talking about God now...
Epstein Didnít Kill Himself
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1010 on: June 11, 2014, 10:53:06 pm »

I ruined my voice by doing a pretty dead-on impression of Tom Waits for my best friend today, and then strained it further when Tom Waits was mentioned on Jeopardy when my dad and I were watching it.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1011 on: June 12, 2014, 06:34:48 pm »

Anything interesting, or just the usual plagues, deluges, and invasions to punish us for our wicked ways?
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1012 on: June 12, 2014, 07:16:51 pm »

The last two weeks have been just "great". Working nine to ten hour days at a place about 45 minutes away, getting 4 hours of sleep on good nights, still having a chronic cough, and now another wisdom tooth is popping in, making my right jaw swollen and feeling like sh#t. Meanwhile, my roommate and the Housing Chair is in sort of a death-match with another member of our pledge class who has great differences with him but wants to move in for work-related reasons. Thus, it's a war on two fronts. Both, of course, want me to take their side and all that crap. Both are guilty of horrible atrocities against the protagonist (me) in various forms, but both are as well my friends. Whenever I try to mediate their disputes, it isn't about wanting them to get along, it's about self preservation; if I have to hear them yelling one more time, either I or at least one of them will be dead. Probably gonna have to just take a week off at home so I can visit a few doctors regarding various issues and actually get some sleep.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1013 on: June 12, 2014, 07:17:58 pm »

Anything interesting, or just the usual plagues, deluges, and invasions to punish us for our wicked ways?

The idea of the various polytheistic gods actually existing, but literally being at war with each other (in the same vein that religious wars exist) was discussed. I brought up what I remember from "Paradise Lost", in which all the various "gods" were actually angels cast down from Heaven after the war, which they thought was pretty interesting.
Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

P
« Reply #1014 on: June 13, 2014, 12:31:47 am »

My job pays poorly. But it pays, unlike so many of these internships. It's unlikely I'll be taking a love cruise down the Dniester myself anytime soon, then, but I'm wondering if and how I should supplement my income. Perhaps something low-intensity but interesting (bow-tie salesman?). More likely than not it might be something at our library. I mean in all honesty I could probably be a passable adjunct at some CUNY college, but that's not... lol. I need ideas, and no, don't mention drugs.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.84, S: -3.04

P
« Reply #1015 on: June 13, 2014, 11:00:52 am »

I stole a pen from the broker I use to trade stocks online a few months ago and tweeted about how awful the pen smelled the other day. Today, I received a nice pen in the mail from them with a note saying they hoped this one smelled better.

Good customer service. They'll keep me as a customer for a long time.
Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

P
« Reply #1016 on: June 13, 2014, 11:02:51 am »
« Edited: June 13, 2014, 11:05:47 am by Simfan34 »

I was hoping for some advice...

Meanwhile , slow going on the weight front. I got back from the gym, my arms are tired. Some lifts, pulls, whatever. Been trying to go every day,  alternating between upper and lower body. I started at 197-200, am currently at 191-2 (the scales can't make up their mind), and would like to get to ~175. It's not just weight, I'm weak and I know it and I'd like to develop some upper body strength.

Meanwhile there has been positive notes on the diet front. I seem close to actualising the oatmeal-cereal-celery-soup-tuna-? diet (? means I'm unsure about dinner). Wednesday was exemplary. I had oatmeal for breakfast, a tuna sandwich for lunch, and fish, salad, and asparagus for dinner. I need to eat like that more often. But I also need to avoid heavy African foods that I enjoy.

Paging Polnut.

Speaking of portfolios I've been keeping a fake one on Google Finance that has done rather well. I have the money, I should really put it in.
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1017 on: June 13, 2014, 05:48:02 pm »

The last two weeks have been just "great". Working nine to ten hour days at a place about 45 minutes away, getting 4 hours of sleep on good nights, still having a chronic cough, and now another wisdom tooth is popping in, making my right jaw swollen and feeling like sh#t. Meanwhile, my roommate and the Housing Chair is in sort of a death-match with another member of our pledge class who has great differences with him but wants to move in for work-related reasons. Thus, it's a war on two fronts. Both, of course, want me to take their side and all that crap. Both are guilty of horrible atrocities against the protagonist (me) in various forms, but both are as well my friends. Whenever I try to mediate their disputes, it isn't about wanting them to get along, it's about self preservation; if I have to hear them yelling one more time, either I or at least one of them will be dead. Probably gonna have to just take a week off at home so I can visit a few doctors regarding various issues and actually get some sleep.

No offense, Cath, but what do you think being an adult with a full-time job is going to be like? You just described a typical day in the life of Indy.
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1018 on: June 13, 2014, 08:33:22 pm »

No offense, Cath, but what do you think being an adult with a full-time job is going to be like? You just described a typical day in the life of Indy.

America hasn't adopted the 40-hours week?
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1019 on: June 13, 2014, 08:39:28 pm »

America hasn't adopted the 40-hours week?

It's called overtime. In any case, it's the sleeping situation that's the main problem, but it, compounded on aforementioned health issues aren't helping. It's in my nature to burn out at a job after a while, the key is to ignore that and keep yourself disciplined. As well, the work situation is hardly the crux of my post in regards to my first sentence which sarcastically calls the last two weeks "great". In regards to IndyTX, no offense really taken, but it's my first real foray into full time work, and combined with who I'm interacting with outside of work and, again, my sleep deprivation and sickness/wisdom teeth, it's trying.
Flake
Flo
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1020 on: June 13, 2014, 11:37:43 pm »

Tomando el ACT's. Deseame suerte Tongue
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1021 on: June 14, 2014, 04:17:41 am »

Like Flo, I'm taking the ACT.  Not using a Calculator for this one, trying to see how good I can do without it.
Commrade Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Ukraine
« Reply #1022 on: June 14, 2014, 07:32:37 am »

I'm spending my Father's Day weekend golfing drinking and grilling. Ahhhhhhhh.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
YaBB God
Kenya

« Reply #1023 on: June 14, 2014, 07:41:27 am »

I'm spending my Father's Day weekend golfing drinking and grilling. Ahhhhhhhh.

sounds like the best time!
Solidarity Forever
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1024 on: June 14, 2014, 06:09:23 pm »

25% of the second-smartest fivesome in upstate New York.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 66 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies