Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:20:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 129009 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: June 21, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »

Ten pounds is a lot for some people, but how you feel now will depend more on weight loss as a percent of your original weight and how much you've changed your diet and increased your physical activity.

And maybe you're feeling a bit sluggish because you don't have as much to do over the summer?

Well, that must be 5% of my weight. I've been very conscious about my diet and have been going to the gym about 5 days a week now. I was hovering just below 200. I'd like to get to 175. I have a job, but that's just it. I mean it's not that I feel sluggish per se, I don't feel and I don't feel like I look (although my mother says otherwise) any thinner.

Weight isn't really the best metric of how fat you are.  You should be thinking about body fat percentage.  If you're losing lean muscle mass, you're not going to look any better.

Personally, I was 5'10," 155 and kind of fat in high school.  I spent like a year running 4 miles every other day and eating salad every day in college and I lost ~20 lbs.  But, then I was way too waify so I spent about two years lifting weights and doing zero cardio because of a running injury.  Because I was so thin I could eat a lot of protein and not really sweat it too much if I put on a little fat with the muscle I added.  Now, I'm 5'10," 155 and I fit the same pants I got in college when I was 140. 

I think that's a good basic strategy, spend some time taking off fat, spend some time putting on muscle.  What are you doing as far as diet and exercise?

Well, in terms of diet I'm mainly cutting out processed junk and all that. I'll be honest- I ate a fair amount of takeout Chinese and McD's. Keeping an eye on portions. Taking my own advice (see Update) on eating a lot of watery fruit.

Fruit isn't necessarily all that healthy.  It can have a decent amount of sugar.

I find the best diet advice is to get protein and fiber with every meal, cut out sweets, liquor and beer and only eat carbs that have a decent amount of dietary fiber.  For me, that means a lot of salad, eggs, chicken, pork, seafood and beans.  I also try to drink enough water.  What I do is try to finish a gallon jug of water every day. 

As for exercise I'm mixing upper and lower body. I start with 20 mins of cardio, sometimes more- today I was on the stationary for 90 minutes- followed by weights and the stairmaster when working on the lower body. I'd like some upper body strength, because that's truly lacking for me, but I have little interest in bulking up.

You're not really thinking about exercise correctly.  If you're going to lift weights, you should warm up, that's it, maybe 5 minutes of cardio beforehand.  You don't want to lift weights when you're already tired.  When you're lifting, most your muscle hypertrophy is going to happen because you're working out near your maximum level of exertion.   And, if you're working out to build strength, you're going to add muscle mass.  So, that's kind of a silly idea that you would lift weights but not add muscle mass.  Why would you not want muscle mass anyway?

As for cardio, running is the easiest and best way.  A stationary bike is tough because you're sitting down.  It's tough to get a good workout when you're sitting down. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #901 on: June 21, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »

My diet is producing results on the scales, so that works for me. But in regards to the sugar you sound like my mother. I eat a lot of grapes, celery, and so forth. I doubt it's doing me harm. But I haven't been having a lot of straight-up water. That's something I should consider.

I mean I'm aiming for definition, but not a six-pack or anything. It's just way too unrealistic and probably would also necessitate me having to replace all my clothes. The idea is ludicrous. It is utterly inconceivable, to the point it'd probably get me off-target. Right now I'm hoping to get a bit of arm and leg definition and a flat stomach. And I'd like to be able to keep it. That's it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #902 on: June 21, 2014, 06:16:03 PM »

I've lost like 10 pounds, but I don't feel any different. That is, I still feel rather... lumpy. I wonder how much I need to lose to start seeing a difference. I mean, there can't be that many pounds stuck in my gut?

I'm going through the same thing right now. I lost about 8kg over the past 8 months, but I don't really see much visible change yet. Granted, I'd need to lose 8 more to return to the normal weight I had until early 2013.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #903 on: June 21, 2014, 06:18:56 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 06:20:48 PM by bedstuy »

My diet is producing results on the scales, so that works for me. But in regards to the sugar you sound like my mother. I eat a lot of grapes, celery, and so forth. I doubt it's doing me harm. But I haven't been having a lot of straight-up water. That's something I should consider.

I mean I'm aiming for definition, but not a six-pack or anything. It's just way too unrealistic and probably would also necessitate me having to replace all my clothes. The idea is ludicrous. It is utterly inconceivable, to the point it'd probably get me off-target. Right now I'm hoping to get a bit of arm and leg definition and a flat stomach. And I'd like to be able to keep it. That's it.

I don't follow.  You're not accidentally going to put on a ton of muscle.  You're worried that if you have a muscular core you're going to be too trim for your pants?  If you put on some muscle, the only thing you have to worry about in terms of clothes is neck size on dress shirts.

I think it's just efficient from a time/benefit perspective to actually lift weights and not just dick around at the gym.  You can just lift a couple of times a week and do a few compound exercises like squats and bench press and chin-ups, 3 sets, 8-10 reps.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #904 on: June 21, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »

My life has gotten significantly better since my struggles earlier on this year. I have made good friends and am making smarter decisions across the board. I'm working on campus this summer and am hauling in a decent paycheck. Have been going to the rec almost daily and improving my diet - I have cut red meat out, though it's a reoccurring struggle. My parents have become much more accepting than they were originally.

I have set a two-year plan in motion with the aim of having things play out just so. In high school I had my life figured out, and it's time to start making important decisions for the rest of my life.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #905 on: June 21, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »

I don't follow.  You're not accidentally going to put on a ton of muscle.  You're worried that if you have a muscular core you're going to be too trim for your pants?  If you put on some muscle, the only thing you have to worry about in terms of clothes is neck size on dress shirts.

I think it's just efficient from a time/benefit perspective to actually lift weights and not just dick around at the gym.  You can just lift a couple of times a week and do a few compound exercises like squats and bench press and chin-ups, 3 sets, 8-10 reps.

I'm not "dicking around at the gym". I'm doing weights for a good hour. I'm concerned about shoulders, mainly. But I really don't think trying to get a lot of muscle is a plausible idea nor is it what I want.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #906 on: June 21, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »

When school restarts in August, I decided to come out to everyone.  I decided to do it in the most gay way possible, in theater class while we are trying to find a play to take to festive this next year.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #907 on: June 21, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

I'm not "dicking around at the gym". I'm doing weights for a good hour. I'm concerned about shoulders, mainly. But I really don't think trying to get a lot of muscle is a plausible idea nor is it what I want.

You're not going to get "a lot of muscle" unless you really consciously try to lift weights in a certain way and have a weird body-builder type of diet.  And, it's not like someone with 6 pack abs has a 34 waist because their abdominal muscles are so big, right? 

What I mean is that you may be wasting time at the gym in terms of time/benefit.  The way you're talking about lifting weights, you seem like you're a beginner in terms of knowledge.  If you don't know what you're doing at the gym, you're might be working hard, but you're not working smart.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #908 on: June 21, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »

So what do you suggest?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #909 on: June 21, 2014, 07:11:28 PM »

Take a weights class at your school or get one of your friends to teach you.  That could be really helpful.  

The other thing is that "definition" isn't really a thing.  Definition is low body fat and large muscle mass.  That's pretty much it.  In getting there, you never really have to worry about getting huge muscles, because muscle builds slowly and it's not easy to get huge.  People who are super muscular eat tons of eggs, chicken and protein powder and work out in a very specific intense way, in general.  If you're just a beginner, there's no danger you're going to get too much muscle.

Why is a liberal lecturing someone on weight-lifting?

I'm a liberal, but I'm gay so I'm in good shape.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #910 on: June 21, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »

This.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #911 on: June 21, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »

All right, I suppose I'll have to cut down on the cardio.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #912 on: June 21, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »

I didn't say that.  I mean on when you go work out, either lift weights or do cardio, but not both.  Maybe you could do cardio at 7am and lift at 7pm, but you don't want to lift after a 4 mile run.  That's all.   
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #913 on: June 21, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »

I didn't say that.  I mean on when you go work out, either lift weights or do cardio, but not both.  Maybe you could do cardio at 7am and lift at 7pm, but you don't want to lift after a 4 mile run.  That's all.   

Right. Understood.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #914 on: June 21, 2014, 09:00:03 PM »

Went over and carried my grandma's groceries up and her garbage down, then stayed and talked with her for two hours like I do twice a week. Despite the health scare on Christmas, she seems as healthy as ever, and my mom needs to quit bothering her about things. Who here has a 72 year old grandma who doesn't get tired when they walk up a flight of stairs? I'm 18 for God's sake and even I hate climbing the stairs to her apartment!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #915 on: June 22, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »

Unlike our dear friend who is going to transition from nap to nap I am going to transition from beer to bourbon to martinis. Then I'm going to have a delicious grilled salmon dinner. Tomorrow night a big thick dry aged ribeye.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #916 on: June 22, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »

At a wedding this weekend and people were taking about, dear God have mercy on my soul, Ingress.  I think.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #917 on: June 22, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »

Did you tell them about BRTD?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #918 on: June 22, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »

My life has gotten significantly better since my struggles earlier on this year. I have made good friends and am making smarter decisions across the board. I'm working on campus this summer and am hauling in a decent paycheck. Have been going to the rec almost daily and improving my diet - I have cut red meat out, though it's a reoccurring struggle. My parents have become much more accepting than they were originally.

I have set a two-year plan in motion with the aim of having things play out just so. In high school I had my life figured out, and it's time to start making important decisions for the rest of my life.

Great to hear. Bravo!
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #919 on: June 22, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2014, 10:08:15 PM by traininthedistance »

Some subjects are not meant for mixed company.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #920 on: June 23, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »

I just checked my ACT, and I made a 26 overall without a calculator.  I was reasonably surprised by it.  Got a 30 in reading and 25 in math.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #921 on: June 23, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

I just checked my ACT, and I made a 26 overall without a calculator.  I was reasonably surprised by it.  Got a 30 in reading and 25 in math.
Nice job, Jerry!
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #922 on: June 23, 2014, 05:25:29 PM »

Feeling real good today. Exercised, studied, and sent some appreciative messages to several of my friends.  Smiley
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #923 on: June 24, 2014, 02:36:04 AM »

I decided to tell my crush that I really liked him and long story short, I'm in a relationship Smiley
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #924 on: June 24, 2014, 04:19:10 AM »

I decided to tell my crush that I really liked him and long story short, I'm in a relationship Smiley
Yay! I'm so happy for you Flo! Cheesy

Wasn't this guy straight though, or am I thinking of another guy? Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies