Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 05, 2019, 09:56:55 am
News: 2020 Presidential Predictions (Primary) are now active.

Atlas Forum
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: TG, TJ in Oregon, Speaker YE)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 66 Print
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 102196 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: August 06, 2014, 09:07:57 am »

So my sister is engaged, and she will be getting married next September. Well the problem is the groom and his family wants a big wedding that will cost tens of thousands of dollars, and neither of them can afford a wedding that costs that much, so the family now wants to rent out a church, that alone costs $5000. Our family just wants them to have a small wedding in their backyard, because our view is that you don't need a fancy wedding, as long as you love the person you'll be good to go no matter how you get married. My aunt didn't even have a wedding, she went to court with her fiancee, brought both parents, and got married. Now my sister's fiancee's family is the spoiled rich kid type, most of them have not faced financial difficulty before in their lives, our family comes from working class roots, so many of us are raised that spending money is bad unless it's necessary, so a lot of us were shocked to hear that they wanted to have a big fancy wedding when we wanted a small one with a few guests that are close to the bride and the groom.

So how do we convince the groom and his family that they would be better off with a small wedding?

If their family wants a high-end wedding, why don't you just tell them that they're more than welcome to pay for it themselves if it's that big a deal to them?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
Cuba

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1226 on: August 08, 2014, 04:02:59 pm »

Tried dealing with the finance/awards people at the university. These people are the worst and should be shot. Incompetent domkops.

I will be glad to take a break from this dump in a few months time.
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1227 on: August 08, 2014, 04:05:06 pm »

Tried dealing with the finance/awards people at the university. These people are the worst and should be shot. Incompetent domkops.

I will be glad to take a break from this dump in a few months time.

University bureaucracy is always useless. Mine had offices with silly opening hours (9AM to 11AM, Monday to Thusday) and loved to say than it wasn't their job and go to at another university office.
Epstein Didnít Kill Himself
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1228 on: August 08, 2014, 04:11:29 pm »

I went up to get some things at the gas station on the corner, and I guess a family decided to let their six year old pump the gas. The kid decided he would try drinking it...the ambulence arrived at the same moment I walked in the door.
Flake
Flo
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1229 on: August 08, 2014, 04:32:58 pm »

I went up to get some things at the gas station on the corner, and I guess a family decided to let their six year old pump the gas. The kid decided he would try drinking it...the ambulence arrived at the same moment I walked in the door.

Why would they let a six year old pump gas?
King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1230 on: August 08, 2014, 04:33:57 pm »

lol Florida
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1231 on: August 08, 2014, 04:45:04 pm »

Why would they let a six year old pump gas?
Don't know, but I often see other Haitian families allowing their younger kids to pump the gas at that station. The other kids never seem to swallow it unlike this little boy.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1232 on: August 09, 2014, 04:11:37 am »

Turns out being the designated driver sucks when someone decides to park their car diagonal on the driveway while the back windshield of the car you're in is too fogged up to see... Jesus Christ, I need this damned summer to be over. It's brought nothing but tragedy.

Also, working night in Port Huron on Sunday, and then four ten hour days at night in  Troy. Not entirely sure how I'm getting to the job site in Port Huron yet, but I'll finagle my way there somehow.
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1233 on: August 10, 2014, 12:03:16 am »

I think my antidepressants aren't working. I've felt really blue the past couple of days. I guess I always do but I'm getting into that tired, despondent state that I haven't been in in several months.

I'm wondering if there are any career opportunities for hermits - something like being the caretaker for an isolated English country house that no one ever goes to should be right up my alley. It gets awfully lonely when there are too many people around.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1234 on: August 11, 2014, 12:11:35 am »

Went and saw Bruno Mars at the gorge last night, he put on a pretty good show.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1235 on: August 11, 2014, 07:53:10 pm »

Trapped in Detroit for the time being; everything's so flooded that you're risking your car by trying to drive. As such, I couldn't go to work today, which I'm sure my superintendent and foreman just loved hearing. Thank God I only have a few more days here.
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1236 on: August 11, 2014, 08:04:04 pm »

Trapped in Detroit for the time being; everything's so flooded that you're risking your car by trying to drive. As such, I couldn't go to work today, which I'm sure my superintendent and foreman just loved hearing. Thank God I only have a few more days here.
Don't risk it: see my post at the beginning of this thread when I tried to see a movie with a girl. She stood me up and I drove home through a flood and almost lost my car in the process.

In Sanchez news, a friend of mine was hired by a highly important political figure. I'll refrain from saying anything else, but I am excited as this opens a huge window of opportunity for me to get a plushy internship.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1237 on: August 11, 2014, 08:09:06 pm »

Don't risk it: see my post at the beginning of this thread when I tried to see a movie with a girl. She stood me up and I drove home through a flood and almost lost my car in the process.

Yeah, my co-worker/driver and I already tried. The highway was completely shut down, and every street we tried wasn't worth going down.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sounds awesome. I'll be looking for an internship next summer (paid, of course, I have to support myself in that respect), and if not I"ll either go back to demolition or work for a construction company that a friend is employed at. I'm going to be a research assistant in the fall which will hopefully give me experience when looking for something paid.
Sol
YaBB God

« Reply #1238 on: August 12, 2014, 02:09:16 pm »

I think my antidepressants aren't working. I've felt really blue the past couple of days. I guess I always do but I'm getting into that tired, despondent state that I haven't been in in several months.

I'm wondering if there are any career opportunities for hermits - something like being the caretaker for an isolated English country house that no one ever goes to should be right up my alley. It gets awfully lonely when there are too many people around.

Oh dear, man! You've mentioned having a therapist before; you should probably let them know what's going on.
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1239 on: August 12, 2014, 02:29:01 pm »

Oh dear, man! You've mentioned having a therapist before; you should probably let them know what's going on.

I just don't see the point. I already know what's wrong with me - I have no friends, no social life, never had a meaningful relationship and I hate my job and hate this city. I can go ask for more pills to numb the pain so I can tolerate my life, but if that's all I have to look forward to, then what is the point?
Snowstalker's Last Stand
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Greece

« Reply #1240 on: August 12, 2014, 02:34:17 pm »

So they're building a Golden Corral about 5 minutes from my house. I have never eaten at one and don't particularly plan to, but I feel it would make an ideal Atlas meetup location.
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1241 on: August 12, 2014, 04:23:18 pm »

So they're building a Golden Corral about 5 minutes from my house. I have never eaten at one and don't particularly plan to, but I feel it would make an ideal Atlas meetup location.
Golden Corral is incredible. As unhealthy as I am, I only eat there a few times a year, but everyone should experience it once.

I just don't see the point. I already know what's wrong with me - I have no friends, no social life, never had a meaningful relationship and I hate my job and hate this city. I can go ask for more pills to numb the pain so I can tolerate my life, but if that's all I have to look forward to, then what is the point?
I see a therapists for all the same reasons, and I know exactly as you feel. I have been going to Therapy for two years now (went for the first time yesterday in six months) and it has helped me understand why I am in a similar situation. There is nothing about you that needs to change, and a therapist won't force you to change things or even go on pills. But they can give you a sense of understanding that will allow you to go on in life and I am slowly starting to see the results.

I also started to practice TM. It is not a religion, though I was forced out of it for six months by a well meaning but misinformed teacher. It is a neurological technique that works wonders. It is not a scam, and for $300, you can have a lifetime of assistance from them. My own therapist practices it, and he told me yesterday that his daughter describes it as a cheap, easy, life-lasting form of psychotherapy that gives you an overwhelming sense of peace and confidence. I really hope you look into it. In the meantime, keep your chin up and know that I am praying and rooting for you Smiley.
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1242 on: August 12, 2014, 04:26:08 pm »

Cigna denied health coverage to a patient at the rehab where my brother is going, and he died of a drug overdose. Now they are trying to deny my brother the same coverage.

I am a firm believer in the free market, but stories like this only enhance my belief that we need a public healthcare system. It is hypocritical of me, I admit. But it is badly, badly needed. Every other advanced nation has a system where problems like this do not exist.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
Cuba

« Reply #1243 on: August 12, 2014, 05:56:26 pm »

I just got offered a job (to teach English - in a legit place) in MedellŪn, Colombia! I have one month to think about it and consider it, but it sounds pretty damn enticing (not a good pay, but accommodation+internet and food 2x day 6x week is included).
Flake
Flo
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1244 on: August 12, 2014, 05:57:38 pm »

I just got offered a job (to teach English - in a legit place) in MedellŪn, Colombia! I have one month to think about it and consider it, but it sounds pretty damn enticing (not a good pay, but accommodation+internet and food 2x day 6x week is included).

Would it be a temporary or a permanent job? How much per hour?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
Cuba

« Reply #1245 on: August 12, 2014, 06:03:49 pm »

Would it be a temporary or a permanent job? How much per hour?

It's 3 months (and can be extended to 6) for 35 hours/week (flexible). It's $122 per month, but the guy tells me it's only a bit below local minimum wage and can definitely cover the extra food I need. Frankly, my main worry is getting by - the guy said it's a tight budget - but I have extra cash to spare if need be, and the no rent/no cable-internet/free food most of the time is a good deal.
TDAS04
YaBB God
Nepal

« Reply #1246 on: August 12, 2014, 08:00:31 pm »

My 3-month-old nephew has been having some difficulties.  He has clubfoot.  Treatment has started, but he still has to wait a while before he'll fully recover.  He also has acid reflux disease, and it will probably be a couple of months before that finally ends.  Both these conditions have caused him much pain.

Fortunately, he is expected to recover eventually from both.  He also seems fairly happy and is smiling much more frequently.  (I've not actually seen my nephew since he's in France.  This is what I hear from my sister.)
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1247 on: August 12, 2014, 08:39:09 pm »

Back to school on the 'morrow. I can only hope that this upcoming school year will be better after this long, hot, and lonely summer.
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1248 on: August 12, 2014, 11:46:19 pm »

Cigna denied health coverage to a patient at the rehab where my brother is going, and he died of a drug overdose. Now they are trying to deny my brother the same coverage.

I am a firm believer in the free market, but stories like this only enhance my belief that we need a public healthcare system. It is hypocritical of me, I admit. But it is badly, badly needed. Every other advanced nation has a system where problems like this do not exist.

I'm sorry. Is this rehab for drug addiction? Did the guy die because he had to leave the facility and relapsed?
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1249 on: August 13, 2014, 12:05:13 am »

I'm sorry. Is this rehab for drug addiction? Did the guy die because he had to leave the facility and relapsed?
Yes, a drug rehab. He was released before he could resolve his issues and fell back into the wrong crowd. This happened to my brother when he was released last month, though he fortunately was placed back in treatment. There is an element of individual choice of course, but addiction is still a serious mental trouble and the tragedy that happened could have been avoided.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 66 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies