Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:02:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 128975 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: August 23, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »

Scott is "gender fluid"? What does that mean?

I suppose it is a perequisite to becoming a white heterosexual liberal Christian minister...

It basically means you fluctuate between genders on certain days or certain times of the day.  That's really all it means.

I'm kind of hoping no one would be a dick about this.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1151 on: August 23, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »

My roommate and I are pretty much polar opposites (he’s a gangsta-type jock from some hood in Charleston, SC whereas I’m the quiet, spiritual type with pictures of Jesus all over my part of the dorm), but we get along great and trust each other, so I really can’t complain (even though I do get annoyed when I hear the n-word being used in every sentence when he has his buddies over). 

lolololol
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1152 on: August 23, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »

Oh yes, and I fully expect the 'racist' accusations to pop up any minute now.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1153 on: August 23, 2014, 05:07:28 PM »

I suppose it is a perequisite to becoming a white heterosexual liberal Christian minister...

It basically means you fluctuate between genders on certain days or certain times of the day.  That's really all it means.

I just utterly fail to comprehend it. No offense meant.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1154 on: August 23, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »

I just utterly fail to comprehend it. No offense meant.

I misunderstood, then.  I thought you used the second part of the post to take a jab at me or something.

I get how people wouldn't understand it, though.  I had a hard time explaining it to two of my closest friends who helped get me to accept it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1155 on: August 23, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »

It was a little joke on how all the liberal ministers are either women or gays...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1156 on: August 23, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »

We put my cat down today.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1157 on: August 23, 2014, 05:47:52 PM »

Sorry to hear that, man. I had to do that a couple months ago myself... it's never easy.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1158 on: August 23, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear that. Sad
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1159 on: August 23, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »

Ugh... I can't even imagine.  I'm sorry, Hagrid.  Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1160 on: August 23, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »

My friend's mother lost her battle with lung cancer this morning Sad. I'm not particularly close with him, but I've gotten to know him over the last three years and have lunch with him daily. He is such a nice guy, and has been strong over the last week as his mom's condition slowly deteriorated. I’m keeping his family in my prayers.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1161 on: August 23, 2014, 06:31:58 PM »

I'm sorry for your friend, Sanchez.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1162 on: August 23, 2014, 11:25:35 PM »

I'm sorry for your losses, Hagrid and Sanchez. Sad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1163 on: August 24, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »

RIP Grumpy Gramps II, USMC Ret.   FF.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1164 on: August 24, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »

RIP Grumpy Gramps II, USMC Ret.   FF.

Goodness. I'm so sorry.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1165 on: August 24, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 01:34:47 PM by Хahar »

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1166 on: August 24, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1167 on: August 24, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »

Also, my heart goes out to you, Sanchez, Grumps, and Hagrid.  I'm sorry to hear all the bad news this weekend.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1168 on: August 24, 2014, 01:55:07 PM »

Also, my heart goes out to you, Sanchez, Grumps, and Hagrid.  I'm sorry to hear all the bad news this weekend.

I share the sentiment with Scott. It's very hard to lose loved ones, and I sincerely wish you all the best during this tough time in your lives.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1169 on: August 24, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.

Come on Scott, you don't see how describing your black roommate as "gangsta" and "from the hood" might make people a little uncomfortable? I'm not saying you were being consciously malicious but that kind of language is a bit troubling. I don't think anyone associated "gangsta"/"hood" with the idea that your roommate might be anything other than black, expressed in a strange wink, nudge manner.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1170 on: August 24, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »

Come on Scott, you don't see how describing your black roommate as "gangsta" and "from the hood" might make people a little uncomfortable? I'm not saying you were being consciously malicious but that kind of language is a bit troubling. I don't think anyone associated "gangsta"/"hood" with the idea that your roommate might be anything other than black, expressed in a strange wink, nudge manner.

For all we know, the black roommate is on some other forum talking about how he's got a white roommate and hopefully he won't stay up all night playing Mumford & Sons or go off on a spree shooting in a fit of manic-depressive rage as the males of the Caucasian race are so apt to do.

My roommate my senior year of college was black and we got along fine, but every now and then I would do something that seemed to set off the "white" alarm in his head. Like one time we were having some discussion where I kept referring to "economically disadvantaged" people and he was like, "You know, there's a much shorter, easier way to describe those people - poor. Say poor. P-O-O-R." And once when I got upset with him for not using the plant-based biodegradable trash bags that I bought for the kitchen, he gave me this "White people be cray" look.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1171 on: August 24, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »

Simply saying "black" or "white" doesn't tell you anything about a person's personality.  I was purposely trying to avoid linking his race with his persona and interests, but I see that that, as expected, came out completely wrong.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1172 on: August 24, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »

Just throwing this out there, but I'd never be able to have a roommate. Even if he was a decent guy and not one of the 100 kinds of assholes that you find in college, I probably wouldn't be able to cohabit with a complete stranger in such a small space. I really need my privacy.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1173 on: August 24, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »

Just throwing this out there, but I'd never be able to have a roommate. Even if he was a decent guy and not one of the 100 kinds of assholes that you find in college, I probably wouldn't be able to cohabit with a complete stranger in such a small space. I really need my privacy.

Aren't you still in college?  Do they let you opt out of having a roommate or something?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1174 on: August 24, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 02:18:59 PM by Governor Simfan »

For all we know, the black roommate is on some other forum talking about how he's got a white roommate and hopefully he won't stay up all night playing Mumford & Sons or go off on a spree shooting in a fit of manic-depressive rage as the males of the Caucasian race are so apt to do.

My roommate my senior year of college was black and we got along fine, but every now and then I would do something that seemed to set off the "white" alarm in his head. Like one time we were having some discussion where I kept referring to "economically disadvantaged" people and he was like, "You know, there's a much shorter, easier way to describe those people - poor. Say poor. P-O-O-R." And once when I got upset with him for not using the plant-based biodegradable trash bags that I bought for the kitchen, he gave me this "White people be cray" look.

This is what is meant by "keeping it real".

Also, yes, Scott's choice of language was unfortunate.  Let's call a spade a spade. Let's call a black man a black man. Even if he conforms to stereotype, which I know some of you take all pains to avoid.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies