Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 06, 2019, 01:39:36 pm
News: 2020 Gubernatorial Predictions are now active.

Atlas Forum
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: TG, TJ in Oregon, Speaker YE)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 66 Print
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 102226 times)
Scott
YaBB God
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: August 23, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »

Scott is "gender fluid"? What does that mean?

I suppose it is a perequisite to becoming a white heterosexual liberal Christian minister...

It basically means you fluctuate between genders on certain days or certain times of the day.  That's really all it means.

I'm kind of hoping no one would be a dick about this.

I just utterly fail to comprehend it. No offense meant.

I misunderstood, then.  I thought you used the second part of the post to take a jab at me or something.

I get how people wouldn't understand it, though.  I had a hard time explaining it to two of my closest friends who helped get me to accept it.
Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

P
« Reply #1351 on: August 23, 2014, 05:38:04 pm »

It was a little joke on how all the liberal ministers are either women or gays...
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -2.96

« Reply #1352 on: August 23, 2014, 05:43:45 pm »

We put my cat down today.
Vega
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1353 on: August 23, 2014, 05:47:52 pm »

Sorry to hear that, man. I had to do that a couple months ago myself... it's never easy.
TDAS04
YaBB God
Nepal

« Reply #1354 on: August 23, 2014, 05:57:48 pm »

I'm very sorry to hear that. Sad
Scott
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #1355 on: August 23, 2014, 06:00:20 pm »

Ugh... I can't even imagine.  I'm sorry, Hagrid.  Sad
Epstein Didnít Kill Himself
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1356 on: August 23, 2014, 06:08:33 pm »

My friend's mother lost her battle with lung cancer this morning Sad. I'm not particularly close with him, but I've gotten to know him over the last three years and have lunch with him daily. He is such a nice guy, and has been strong over the last week as his mom's condition slowly deteriorated. Iím keeping his family in my prayers.
Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1357 on: August 23, 2014, 06:31:58 pm »

I'm sorry for your friend, Sanchez.
National Progressive
General Mung Beans
YaBB God
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1358 on: August 23, 2014, 11:25:35 pm »

I'm sorry for your losses, Hagrid and Sanchez. Sad
Commrade Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Ukraine
« Reply #1359 on: August 24, 2014, 10:45:14 am »

RIP Grumpy Gramps II, USMC Ret.   FF.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1360 on: August 24, 2014, 10:46:32 am »

Something happen?

Sorry to hear about that, Sanchez. I had to see the loss of one of my own parents during high school and it was probably the single worst thing I'll go through.

In any case, on my end, sh#t's f#cked, but that's not really unexpected.
Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1361 on: August 24, 2014, 12:09:05 pm »

Goodness. I'm so sorry.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

« Reply #1362 on: August 24, 2014, 01:31:39 pm »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 01:34:47 pm by Хahar »

Oh yes, and I fully expect the 'racist' accusations to pop up any minute now.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #1363 on: August 24, 2014, 01:45:16 pm »

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #1364 on: August 24, 2014, 01:46:54 pm »

Also, my heart goes out to you, Sanchez, Grumps, and Hagrid.  I'm sorry to hear all the bad news this weekend.
Flake
Flo
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1365 on: August 24, 2014, 01:55:07 pm »

Also, my heart goes out to you, Sanchez, Grumps, and Hagrid.  I'm sorry to hear all the bad news this weekend.

I share the sentiment with Scott. It's very hard to lose loved ones, and I sincerely wish you all the best during this tough time in your lives.
Oakvale
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1366 on: August 24, 2014, 01:56:32 pm »

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.

Come on Scott, you don't see how describing your black roommate as "gangsta" and "from the hood" might make people a little uncomfortable? I'm not saying you were being consciously malicious but that kind of language is a bit troubling. I don't think anyone associated "gangsta"/"hood" with the idea that your roommate might be anything other than black, expressed in a strange wink, nudge manner.
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1367 on: August 24, 2014, 02:04:41 pm »

Come on Scott, you don't see how describing your black roommate as "gangsta" and "from the hood" might make people a little uncomfortable? I'm not saying you were being consciously malicious but that kind of language is a bit troubling. I don't think anyone associated "gangsta"/"hood" with the idea that your roommate might be anything other than black, expressed in a strange wink, nudge manner.

For all we know, the black roommate is on some other forum talking about how he's got a white roommate and hopefully he won't stay up all night playing Mumford & Sons or go off on a spree shooting in a fit of manic-depressive rage as the males of the Caucasian race are so apt to do.

My roommate my senior year of college was black and we got along fine, but every now and then I would do something that seemed to set off the "white" alarm in his head. Like one time we were having some discussion where I kept referring to "economically disadvantaged" people and he was like, "You know, there's a much shorter, easier way to describe those people - poor. Say poor. P-O-O-R." And once when I got upset with him for not using the plant-based biodegradable trash bags that I bought for the kitchen, he gave me this "White people be cray" look.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #1368 on: August 24, 2014, 02:06:20 pm »

Simply saying "black" or "white" doesn't tell you anything about a person's personality.  I was purposely trying to avoid linking his race with his persona and interests, but I see that that, as expected, came out completely wrong.
Mangez des pommes !
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

« Reply #1369 on: August 24, 2014, 02:10:26 pm »

Just throwing this out there, but I'd never be able to have a roommate. Even if he was a decent guy and not one of the 100 kinds of assholes that you find in college, I probably wouldn't be able to cohabit with a complete stranger in such a small space. I really need my privacy.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #1370 on: August 24, 2014, 02:13:16 pm »

Just throwing this out there, but I'd never be able to have a roommate. Even if he was a decent guy and not one of the 100 kinds of assholes that you find in college, I probably wouldn't be able to cohabit with a complete stranger in such a small space. I really need my privacy.

Aren't you still in college?  Do they let you opt out of having a roommate or something?
Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1371 on: August 24, 2014, 02:17:07 pm »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 02:18:59 pm by Governor Simfan »

For all we know, the black roommate is on some other forum talking about how he's got a white roommate and hopefully he won't stay up all night playing Mumford & Sons or go off on a spree shooting in a fit of manic-depressive rage as the males of the Caucasian race are so apt to do.

My roommate my senior year of college was black and we got along fine, but every now and then I would do something that seemed to set off the "white" alarm in his head. Like one time we were having some discussion where I kept referring to "economically disadvantaged" people and he was like, "You know, there's a much shorter, easier way to describe those people - poor. Say poor. P-O-O-R." And once when I got upset with him for not using the plant-based biodegradable trash bags that I bought for the kitchen, he gave me this "White people be cray" look.

This is what is meant by "keeping it real".

Also, yes, Scott's choice of language was unfortunate.  Let's call a spade a spade. Let's call a black man a black man. Even if he conforms to stereotype, which I know some of you take all pains to avoid.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #1372 on: August 24, 2014, 02:20:25 pm »

I'd like to emphasize that my intention was to describe his personality more than his physical appearance, since I apparently hadn't made that clear already.
Mangez des pommes !
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

« Reply #1373 on: August 24, 2014, 02:32:04 pm »

Aren't you still in college?  Do they let you opt out of having a roommate or something?

Like most French universities, Sciences Po doesn't have dorms. I still live in my parent's house. And in SF, I expressly asked for a single room and got it.
Simfan34
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1374 on: August 24, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »

You go to Sciences Po?! I did not know that!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 66 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies