Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:13:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 131320 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:07 AM »

I met a girl online today who said she really likes mountains.  Do you think it would impress her if I told her I pioneered legislation that banned mountaintop removal mining in Atlasia?

This can't be serious.

I don't know if it says more about me or the forum that I genuinely can't tell.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »

Oh yes, and I fully expect the 'racist' accusations to pop up any minute now.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.

Come on Scott, you don't see how describing your black roommate as "gangsta" and "from the hood" might make people a little uncomfortable? I'm not saying you were being consciously malicious but that kind of language is a bit troubling. I don't think anyone associated "gangsta"/"hood" with the idea that your roommate might be anything other than black, expressed in a strange wink, nudge manner.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »

The whole idea of moving away to live in a dorm for college seems to be largely an American phenomenon, yes (Canada too?).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies