Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 01:40:57 pm
News: 2020 Gubernatorial Predictions are now active.

Atlas Forum
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: TG, Cath, TJ in Oregon, Speaker YE)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring (search mode)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 101837 times)
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« on: January 10, 2014, 05:57:42 pm »

A stripper (or maybe a hooker?) rang my doorbell and asked for me by my first name, claiming that she had been hired and paid for to celebrate my "birthday." My actual birthday is in November. Wondering what kind of scam I avoided by telling her to leave.
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:14:46 am »

I met a girl online today who said she really likes mountains.  Do you think it would impress her if I told her I pioneered legislation that banned mountaintop removal mining in Atlasia?

Of course. I'm sure that she'd love to hear about your orogenous fantasies.
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:21:21 pm »

Be careful, Scott. That job listing sounds a lot like a scam.
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 05:44:05 pm »

Please don't do your grad school at the same place as your undergrad school.

Why not?

Teaching attendents already said then prospective employers prefers when the people they hire were exposed to two different schools (the mentality/focus is often different from one school to another).

To some extent this depends on the field. It may not hold as true for a professional program like veterinary school. There are barely more than two dozen programs in the entire country, so I would expect the admissions process to be idiosyncratic.
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:07:21 pm »

I had laser eye surgery today. It cost me about $7000, which is quite a lot of money for me but the results are absolutely amazing - I already had (near) perfect sight three hours after the surgery. I can only recommend such a procedure if you can afford it and there's a high chance that it will have a desirable effect on your eyes. The risks are extremely low nowadays.

I would consider it but I have an unstable prescription. I'm afraid of getting the surgery only to have my eyesight deteriorate again in 5-10 years.

I have been told that it's not a good idea to get eye laser surgery if you have an unstable prescription precisely because of the risk you mentioned, yeah. Indeed, from what I have read, most responsible surgeons will not do such a surgery if your prescription hasn't been stable for at least a few years.

That's what my optometrist told me when I asked about it. My eyesight was changing as of my last check-up, but I want to look into surgery in a few years once I've paid off my student loans.  In any case, I'm glad to hear that it worked so well for you. It seems like an amazing quality of life improvement.
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 10:48:20 am »

Did you actually win the election this time?
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 02:02:10 pm »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 02:03:57 pm by AverroŽs Nix »

Ten pounds is a lot for some people, but how you feel now will depend more on weight loss as a percent of your original weight and how much you've changed your diet and increased your physical activity.

And maybe you're feeling a bit sluggish because you don't have as much to do over the summer?
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 02:34:50 pm »

Whether you're noticing it or not, 5% sounds like real progress.

I don't know about you, but I struggle to keep myself occupied when I'm not taking classes. I enjoy having the freedom to explore whatever subject I want in my free time without having material from several classes constantly floating in the back of my mind, but I also lose the sense that I have any purpose when I'm not at work.

Maybe your job is on your mind more often, though. I don't know. I rarely think about mine when I'm not in the office.

АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 07:09:01 pm »

Came home to water bubbling up from the drain of my apartment's kitchen sink. Disgusting.
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 09:25:15 pm »

Just been diagnosed with Lyme disease... and I'm supposed to be on the road for college tomorrow.

I don't know whether this will help, but I know at least a dozen people who have had Lyme disease. It's more common than you would think in our part of the country. Get it treated early and you'll be fine.
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 03:16:49 pm »

The whole idea of moving away to live in a dorm for college seems to be largely an American phenomenon, yes (Canada too?).

Is it really that uncommon in Europe? What do students who don't live near a decent school that suits them do?
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 03:27:35 pm »

The whole idea of moving away to live in a dorm for college seems to be largely an American phenomenon, yes (Canada too?).

How else would you do it, unless you happen to live near a decent school that suits you?

You generally buy an apartment in the city where the university is located. Or you accept to have a 1-hour commute time, as I did. Wink

That's what I had assumed. But, Christ, an hour? I thought didn't tolerate that nonsense over there.
АverroŽs 🦉
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 11:05:59 pm »

Even though halloween is still a couple weeks away, I already know what I'm going as.  I going as Gandalf the Rainbow.  It is also when I'm coming out to a few more people.

It was Saruman who was the wizard of rainbows.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Oh, I know that, but most people don't.  That's why I'm going as a gay Gandalf who is also rainbow.  Much easier to explain.

Classic Sharkey.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies