Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:07:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 131110 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 19, 2013, 11:22:26 PM »

Is eating a lot of cough drops dangerous? Is there medicine in them or is it just minty not that sweet candy?

There's usually menthol or something like that. I don't think that that would be dangerous, really. If it were, it would probably indicate so on the packet.

It is possible to overdose on menthol, but in order to do that with cough drops, you'd need to literally ingest thousands of cough drops at one time, which is impractical.  Several 6 oz jars of Vicks VapoRub might do the trick if ingested because the menthol in it is far more concentrated than in cough drops.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »

And I'm okay with that (I was never all that interested in the community college in the first place!), but I've been trying to occupy myself now that I'm out of high school, and I'm stuck.  Even though I'm an active member of my church now (I go there at least three times a week for one reason or another), I feel totally discombobulated and aimless.  I tried starting my own blog to write on religious issues, which I am passionate about, but my plans for a routinely updated journal fell completely apart.  Why?  One, because my knowledge on theology is basically s**t even though I've been studying it for a few years.  And two, because I suck at conveying my thoughts on topics that I have mere layman's knowledge on.  There are people my age who have accomplished way more in life than I have, and it bothers me.

I've tried writing a book on religion a number of times as a way of expressing my passion for it, but I can't even put together a decent outline.  The more I realize how ignorant I am on these issues, the more discouraged I am to actually write it... at least before college.  So now I'm kind of stuck.  Should I try writing the thing and risk sounding like an idiot pretending to know more than I do, or should I continue lolling about and not even think about it until I graduate from college?  I feel like I'll be unsatisfied no matter what I do.

I guess you could try just writing down your thoughts so far as you can, but not with the expectation that they'd be in publishable form (at least as a book) until you've learned a lot more, and try to see where the greatest gaps are in your knowledge and find some introductory texts in those areas.  If you have a project you can work on that can be a very good thing during a transitional "down" time, though I know well that it can be hard to stay motivated.   

Indeed, I do something like that already.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »

I could get used to this, actually. So much space.

Plus, you'll likely get more done if you don't have the TV to distract you.  While I did not make a conscious decision to go TV-less, I've had ample opportunity to redress the situation, and have no desire to do so.  If only I could go Atlas-less as well.  Where's Inks when you need him?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »

Question for my fellow beardmen: is it normal for large patches of one's chin area to be completely bare while everything else grows at roughly the same rate?

I have a fairly natural beard, only trimming it to keep it neat, but not shaving any of it.  It's a fairly full beard, but on my lower lip it looks like a capital T because of the bare stripe that goes from each corner of the mouth down to the top of the chin and then turns inward along the border between lip and chin, but the two bare spots don't meet in the middle.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »

I have sinusitis. I am hallucinating.

For you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpn8MANhdLU
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »

I had a weird dream last night involving fireworks, jumping across Washington rooftops, and romancing a Senator.  Unfortunately I woke up before I got to see if the actual fireworks the dream began with would lead to figurative fireworks with her.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:56:26 AM »

I had a weird dream last night involving fireworks, jumping across Washington rooftops, and romancing a Senator.  Unfortunately I woke up before I got to see if the actual fireworks the dream began with would lead to figurative fireworks with her.
A wetdream about Babs Mikulski?

Nah, it was a generic female, and hotter than Mikulski tho wearing too many clothes to likely make it into the defunct HG thread.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »

Why will these people be allowed to vote?

You're wondering why people with particular political views will be allowed to vote.  Are you certain you're not a Republican?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »

This is a bit whorish, but finally my chest is responding to the new exercise regimen. In other news, I'm running a 5k Tongue

5K is an awfully low temperature.  I never knew you were a cryogenic cooled supercomputer.  Would it be safe to say you are not located at Oxford? Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »

I don't mean to sound bad, but did this forum finally get Tapatalk support? Why does Lief's posts have the Sent from my iPhone signature??

nah, just drunk trolling, don't mind me.

I don't mind you when you're sober or drunk.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »

If more people go Daily Double hunting then the obvious response on the part of the producers is to no longer cluster them on the higher value answers as they currently do.  If every answer had the same chance of being the Daily Double then the scheme wouldn't be as useful.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 08:08:34 PM »

I was feeling a bit tuckered, so I decided to have a little nap which I just woke up from.  Had the most weirdest dream I can ever recall.  I was accompanying an investigative journalist as we snuck into Vladimir Putin's apartment for a looksee while he was out. (Maybe he was down in Sochi, but why he was out and where the guards were during all this wasn't included in the dream.) Nothing too wild, but one of the TV's in one of the many guest rooms had on a pirated version of NATO television set to channel 10 - Canadian Armed Forces.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »

Sounds like Paper Lion and Brian's Song are the most likely candidates.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 05:08:30 AM »

Sounds like Paper Lion and Brian's Song are the most likely candidates.
Paper Lion seems more likely. He said he was in Middle School. I'll ask him in the morning. My dad has lived an interesting life and has met a very bizarre cast of characters with all kinds of saints and sinners. I'd be damned if he doesn't write a book about it one day.

While in the Hebrew testament YHWH does mete out punishments unto the third or fourth generation sometimes, failing to write a book isn't listed as an offense, so you need not be worried about being damned on that account.  (Considering that the effects of punishing someone severely will tend to cause one's descendants to suffer, I take such pronouncements as referring to such indirect effects rather than direct punishment upon the descendants of the offender.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 01:19:59 AM »

Not going to be able to see the lunar eclipse tonight.  Solid clouds overhear with a slight drizzle and some intermittent cloud-to-cloud lightning.  Sigh.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »

I get to read Psalm 22 at a Good Friday service tomorrow.  I pointed out that it can be read in a fairly dramatic fashion, and have been given free reign to do so, tho I wonder if they realize how far I can go in that direction.  (Keep in mind that I thoroughly enjoyed Theodore Roosevelt in a production of Arsenic and Old Lace some years ago, and was willing to get so much into the part that I shaved off my beard to go back to only a mustache even tho that was not a requirement for that particular production.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »

I've decided that I want Putin to invade the 2016 board. Can we arrange this?
No.  Putin only invades when he thinks it is in his interest.  It is in absolutely no one's interest to annex the 2016 board.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »

I am still concerned that my reading of Psalm 22 at the Good Friday service was overdramatic given the way the rest of the service went. But it got good reviews, so what do I know?  I will say this tho, the NRSV is not the best translation for a dramatic reading of Psalm 22, but as it's the version in the pew Bibles, it is what I went with.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »

Did you guys also do the Prayer for the Faithless Jews?

Not quite.  There were quite a few prayers including a prayer for the Jews, a prayer for those theists who don't believe in Christ, and a prayer for atheists, but not one specific to faithless Jews.

The prayer for the Jews was:
Almighty and eternal God,
long ago you gave your promise to Abraham and your teaching to Moses.
Hear our prayers that the people you called and elected as your own
may receive the fulfillment of the covenant's promises.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Amen.

The prayer for non-Christian theists was:
Almighty and eternal God, gather into your embrace
all those who cal out to you under different names.
Bring an end to inter-religious strife,
and make us more faithful witnesses
of the love made known to us in your Son.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Amen.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »

My traditional trinity of chocolate Easter bunnies are gone. (One small bunny for breakfast, lunch, and dinner each.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »

Was at the mall last evening for some light exercise mixed in with shopping.  Unusually for me, I got drawn into a sales pitch/demonstration of some skin care products at one of the kiosks as I was walking past it. A charming young girl and she did her patter well.  I might have even bought some of the stuff she had to sell if it had been within my price range despite the fact that for me skin care is usually just soap and water, but $150, even if it was supposed to be a year's supply and included two "free" extras, was more than I was willing to consider for an impulse buy.  $90 and she might have gotten a sale, but not at $150 from this cheapskate.

Now during her patter she asked if I was married or happy, and then once I said I was happy asked how many girlfriends I had.  Now I didn't think of it at the time, but later, I wondered how she would have reacted had I said I had a boyfriend. (Not that there is anything wrong with that beyond that it would be a lie, but this is South Carolina.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »

I was hoping Ernest would end that post with talking about how the chick was hitting on him or how he got her number or something like that.

Maybe if I'd bought the stuff.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »

A bit abstract for my taste, but certainly better than what I could do.  Not that my interests run in that direction.  Writing, public speaking/acting, and music are arts that interest me more.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »

"Opposition to our voter fraud is racism!" said the new President of our College Republican here, to general derision and bafflement.

I like this fun comment, tho I think it isn't actually by the person it claims to be:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »

Well, I had an interesting evening.  I thought I was going to go give someone who was a little down in the dumps an ear to chew on in the figurative sense.  It turned into an actual date with another one set for Wednesday.  I'm gabberflasted as I'd considered it as a possible outcome, but I honestly thought I was deluding myself.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies