Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:20:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide  (Read 293901 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: April 23, 2018, 04:45:16 PM »

Gross, my family is from Molise.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #1951 on: April 24, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »

Di Maio a few moments ago: "Talks with League are over; still deep differences with Democrats. Any discussion with Lega ends here. Salvini has condemned himself to irrelevance. Government with the CentreRight is no longer viable. I ask the PD to come to the table, not immediately to sign the contract but to check if there are the conditions to put it on its feet. If talks with PD fail, only alternative is a new election."

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1952 on: April 24, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »

Di Maio a few moments ago: "Talks with League are over; still deep differences with Democrats. Any discussion with Lega ends here. Salvini has condemned himself to irrelevance. Government with the CentreRight is no longer viable. I ask the PD to come to the table, not immediately to sign the contract but to check if there are the conditions to put it on its feet. If talks with PD fail, only alternative is a new election."

Shocked
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1953 on: April 24, 2018, 12:30:03 PM »

But if PD becomes a junior partner to M5S then I can see PD level of popular support falling over time as PD support will move to M5S or Center-Right bloc.  Of course if there is another election right away it would be a Center-Right bloc vs M5S choice election and PD would do worse but then they will live to fight another day in opposition.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #1954 on: April 24, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »

But if PD becomes a junior partner to M5S then I can see PD level of popular support falling over time as PD support will move to M5S or Center-Right bloc.  Of course if there is another election right away it would be a Center-Right bloc vs M5S choice election and PD would do worse but then they will live to fight another day in opposition.

Yes, PD will have problems in many different scenarios. However, it would make sense to me, if there's a part of the PD that sees this as an option to actually make some left-wing reforms after being tied to the centre-right in previous governments. I know there's a deeply personal dislike between many persons in the two parties which can easily cause negotiations to fall, but if the alternative is the centre-right, flat tax etc, it might be possible to convince enough people in the PD.
EPG
« Reply #1955 on: April 24, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »

It's not as if there is any spare money for the PD to get some concessions, from either left or right.

Meanwhile, some people still genuinely think basic income is coming to southern Italy.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1956 on: April 24, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »

C'mon PD, take the deal
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #1957 on: April 24, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »

Am I like the only person who noticed that Salvini just said that he in some circumstances would do what Mussolini did decades ago? This was on purpose or he just threatened with manifestations and protests and not with coup? I know that in Italy there is some sort of nostalgia concerned fascist Kingdom of Italy but cmon.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1958 on: April 24, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »

Extremely disappointing that M5S-Lega will not happen; still unclear to me why this is the case and who is to blame. Any ideas?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1959 on: April 24, 2018, 04:15:16 PM »

Extremely disappointing that M5S-Lega will not happen; still unclear to me why this is the case and who is to blame. Any ideas?

I think the experience of SPD in Germany has taught that any major party that becomes the junior partner in a ruling coalition always loses and continue to lose votes.  Both parties must have learned that lesson and would refuse to join a coalition unless they are the top dog.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1960 on: April 24, 2018, 05:45:32 PM »

Di Maio a few moments ago: "Talks with League are over; still deep differences with Democrats. Any discussion with Lega ends here. Salvini has condemned himself to irrelevance. Government with the CentreRight is no longer viable. I ask the PD to come to the table, not immediately to sign the contract but to check if there are the conditions to put it on its feet. If talks with PD fail, only alternative is a new election.

C'mon PD, take the deal

Agreed, an M5S-PD-(LeU) deal would probably be really good and it wouldn't do much harm to PD. Definitely less than some sort of grand coalition with the right.

If they fear the far left coming for them, try to get LeU to join as well. If they fear that they'll be tied to all the government's mistakes, make it a minority government with support for the budget and stuff.

Why wouldn't PD go for that? What would they have to concede to M5S? Harsher inmigration laws? Good, that's a losing cause for the left. A slightly less pro EU stance? Still a lot better than what Lega would have offered.

At the very least if they don't want to join a government they should at least push for an M5S minority government.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1961 on: April 24, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »

It's pretty interesting to see populist parties like M5S and ANO possibly end up siding with the center-left and left-wing (PD and LeU in Italy, ČSSD and KSČM in Czechia)
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #1962 on: April 25, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »

Both of them really wants to be PM, and both of them are not very eager to make compromises. Di Maio has another door open in the potential deal with PD, which is obviously not possible for a Lega-led centre-right. Still quite possible with a new electoral law that gives an absolute majority to the winning bloc, which I think both of them would really like (at least at the moment where they look like being the two competitors). If there is to be a coalition, it is pretty obvious that Salvini needs to budge and accept to play the second fiddle.

And that is ofc before going into all the structural problems in terms of policy disagreements, many M5S voters regard themselves as quite leftist etc.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #1963 on: April 25, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »

For the M5S it's not possible a alliance with Forza Italia/Berlusconi, Salvini do not want broke the alliance with FI
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1964 on: April 30, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »

Welp

Italy’s 5Stars call for new election

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1965 on: April 30, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »

I hope PD voters see sense and jump ship for M5S. Stop Salvini!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1966 on: April 30, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »

If M5S can't get the left or the right to work, then the only option is Right+Left. I guess we will see what the results of that will be soon...
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #1967 on: April 30, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »

Friuli Venezia Giulia regional elections held yesterday

Centre-right 57.1% (Lega 34.9, FI 12.1)
PD and allies 26.8%
5 Stars 11,7%
a local list 4.4%

Turnout: 49.7%

At House elections last month:

Centre-right 43% (Lega 25.9 FI 10.7)
5 Stars 24.6%
PD and allies 23%
Free and Equals 3.2%

turnout 75.12%
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1968 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »

5 Stars already collapsing...
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #1969 on: April 30, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »

Increased incentive for them to do a deal and not take a new election?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1970 on: April 30, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »

Increased incentive for them to do a deal and not take a new election?

I think M5S would take any deal that makes them the leader of Government, but nobody wants to make one. The Right surprisingly in un-Italian tradition won't break up, and won't do a deal where they don't lead. The Left meanwhile has become more internationalist and Pro-EU under the past administration, and has successfully mmarshalled itself against either populist party. If M5S wants to avoid new elections, then their only option is bitting the bullet and become the rights junior partner. Or maybe something new will emerge.

Right now, new elections probably benefit the right, and forza. The Right probably gains as a whole, judging from post-election numbers. More Right seats in the south from their gains benefit forza over lega, perhaps giving Forza control of the senate coalition.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1971 on: May 02, 2018, 05:23:11 AM »

Di Maio a few moments ago: "Talks with League are over; still deep differences with Democrats. Any discussion with Lega ends here. Salvini has condemned himself to irrelevance. Government with the CentreRight is no longer viable. I ask the PD to come to the table, not immediately to sign the contract but to check if there are the conditions to put it on its feet. If talks with PD fail, only alternative is a new election.

C'mon PD, take the deal

Agreed, an M5S-PD-(LeU) deal would probably be really good and it wouldn't do much harm to PD. Definitely less than some sort of grand coalition with the right.

If they fear the far left coming for them, try to get LeU to join as well. If they fear that they'll be tied to all the government's mistakes, make it a minority government with support for the budget and stuff.

Why wouldn't PD go for that? What would they have to concede to M5S? Harsher inmigration laws? Good, that's a losing cause for the left. A slightly less pro EU stance? Still a lot better than what Lega would have offered.

At the very least if they don't want to join a government they should at least push for an M5S minority government.

M5S cannot be trusted, that's the simple truth.
They are a movement with no internal rules whatsover, whose program has been changed overnight after being voted by its members, in order to facilitate forming a government.
For years they've built on anti-establishment politics, and now they're trying to form a government with PD (my party) only in order to go to power and have somebody to give to the crowd when things go wrong (and they will go wrong, with M5S in power).

PD has lost the elections and the voters have clearly rejected its message, based mostly on what it has done in government in these last years.
Why should it join a government with M5S? To cancel the laws that PD itself passed recently, such as the Jobs Act or the education reform?
Or based on some contract citing points such as "reducing poverty", "sustainable growth", etc etc, which mean nothing at all.

PD now needs to reconstruct itself and it can only do that by opposing all populist governments. Voters have given M5S and Lega more than 50% of votes and deputies, that's it. It would be foolish to "limit the damage caused by the voters", not allowing for those who won to actually show what they can do once in power.

It's better to get 15% at the next snap elections than be completely annihilated after one year of government with M5S.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1972 on: May 02, 2018, 05:24:57 AM »

I hope PD voters see sense and jump ship for M5S. Stop Salvini!
They're not that different.
Don't be fooled by labels.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1973 on: May 07, 2018, 12:30:36 PM »

Italy's President has just announced the failure to create a new government.

New elections imminent.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.ft.com/content/fe747d32-520f-11e8-b24e-cad6aa67e23e

Poor Italians. They elected a new parliament that works and not for stagnation. I think this will only increase the share of the Lega and M5S, but the bloc results will remain largely the same. And after the elections, they will be in the same crappy situation again ...
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1974 on: May 07, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length