Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:40:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide  (Read 291643 times)
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: March 24, 2018, 12:15:46 PM »

Speaker of Lower House goes to M5S
Speaker of Upper House goes to Forza Italia

PD voted for its own candidates and refused to join these agreements.
Funny thing is that M5S ended up voting for one of Berlusconi's closest allies at the Senate...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1926 on: March 24, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »

Yeah, the M5S-right coalition is clearly starting to take shape.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1927 on: March 24, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »

This is why we need a M5S-Lega government right now. Preventing it means only delaying the inevitable.

That's what I never understood about using a cordon sanitaire. Making one's enemies into junior coalition partners seems far more effective at killing them than keeping them out of power.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1928 on: March 24, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »

This is why we need a M5S-Lega government right now. Preventing it means only delaying the inevitable.

That's what I never understood about using a cordon sanitaire. Making one's enemies into junior coalition partners seems far more effective at killing them than keeping them out of power.

I mean, the issue is usually what sorts of policy concessions you have to give them in order for them to join coalitions. Those often tend to be hard to swallow.

Also, you have Denmark as a major counterexample.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #1929 on: March 24, 2018, 07:28:39 PM »

Can somebody explain to me how is it possible that Italian MPs just elected guy named Roberto Fico as president of Chamber of Deputies at the same time while guy with Italian surname became Prime Minster of Slovakia?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1930 on: March 24, 2018, 07:34:04 PM »

Can somebody explain to me how is it possible that Italian MPs just elected guy named Roberto Fico as president of Chamber of Deputies at the same time while guy with Italian surname became Prime Minster of Slovakia?

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1931 on: March 24, 2018, 07:35:01 PM »

LMAO
rob in cal
« Reply #1932 on: March 24, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »

Pretty amazing that two Robert/o Fico politicians are active in politics at the same time, and both feature prominently in the news one week after another, one resigning and one winning election as speaker. What are the odds of that.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #1933 on: March 25, 2018, 05:47:24 AM »

Pretty amazing that two Robert/o Fico politicians are active in politics at the same time, and both feature prominently in the news one week after another, one resigning and one winning election as speaker. What are the odds of that.

FICO scores do vary greatly!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1934 on: March 25, 2018, 06:14:21 AM »

Pretty amazing that two Robert/o Fico politicians are active in politics at the same time, and both feature prominently in the news one week after another, one resigning and one winning election as speaker. What are the odds of that ?

The odds that you are struck by lightning are probably higher than that ...
kyc0705

« Reply #1935 on: March 25, 2018, 08:49:48 AM »

And the Slovak Fico's replacement is of Italian descent Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1936 on: March 25, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »

I mean, the issue is usually what sorts of policy concessions you have to give them in order for them to join coalitions. Those often tend to be hard to swallow.

Not to be too snarky, but I'd suggest a large part of the centre left's decline was due to finding immigration harder to compromise on than selling out the working class. Tongue

That said, I forgot about Denmark. I was thinking if Austria and the UK.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1937 on: March 25, 2018, 04:22:29 PM »

Not to be too snarky, but I'd suggest a large part of the centre left's decline was due to finding immigration harder to compromise on than selling out the working class. Tongue

That's probably true, but I'd argue that the Third-Wayite left is also pretty happy to sell out immigrants when it has to. Look at Flamby's immigration policies, which were basically a continuation of Sarko's status quo (although still probably better than what Sarko himself had in store had he been reelected, since the French right is suffering a heavy case of cumulative radicalization on this). Or look at how the Gentiloni government has eventually done a 180 on the Letta-Renzi policies and basically criminalized the NGOs that rescued people in the Mediterranean, while breaking their campaign promise to offer a path to citizenship to even long-time legal migrants, as soon as they realized this was a losing issue with the Italian public. Obviously this sort of pusillanimity on the left's side only emboldens the far-right, just as their selling out of the working class has emboldened radical neoliberals.

I guess the American third-wayers are something of an exception in this context, but then again, remember that Obama deported more people than any President before him.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1938 on: March 25, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »

That's probably true, but I'd argue that the Third-Wayite left is also pretty happy to sell out immigrants when it has to. Look at Flamby's immigration policies, which were basically a continuation of Sarko's status quo (although still probably better than what Sarko himself had in store had he been reelected, since the French right is suffering a heavy case of cumulative radicalization on this). Or look at how the Gentiloni government has eventually done a 180 on the Letta-Renzi policies and basically criminalized the NGOs that rescued people in the Mediterranean, while breaking their campaign promise to offer a path to citizenship to even long-time legal migrants, as soon as they realized this was a losing issue with the Italian public. Obviously this sort of pusillanimity on the left's side only emboldens the far-right, just as their selling out of the working class has emboldened radical neoliberals.

I guess the American third-wayers are something of an exception in this context, but then again, remember that Obama deported more people than any President before him.

Erm...there wasn't any parliamentary support for it.
PD was the only party in favour. Oh, and the few deputies to its left. But not enough to get a majority at the House or Senate, since M5S was against it and Alfano would not support it.
EPG
« Reply #1939 on: March 25, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »

Yeah, it's harder to work out feasible political solutions when you are actually in Italy and you can see the migrant crisis first-hand. It makes you think about why people do not want an open door to hundreds of thousands more mainly Muslim, mainly irregular, needy migrants, on top of the 600,000 already there (1% of Italy's population). Using public services has just become more difficult in recent years.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1940 on: March 25, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »

Yeah, it's harder to work out feasible political solutions when you are actually in Italy and you can see the migrant crisis first-hand. It makes you think about why people do not want an open door to hundreds of thousands more mainly Muslim, mainly irregular, needy migrants, on top of the 600,000 already there (1% of Italy's population). Using public services has just become more difficult in recent years.

It makes you think what offering a path to citizenship for migrants already living in Italy has to do with your "Great Replacement" fantasies about illegal immigrants.
EPG
« Reply #1941 on: March 25, 2018, 06:34:10 PM »

I have no fantasies and regret the problems faced by migrants; obviously, no replacement of populations is likely in any European country and it is a meme to justify racism. However, it is ludicrous to pretend that the Italian migrant crisis has had no negative impact on anyone else's life in Italy. It did. That "pretending" incidentally is a major reason why the European left is currently non-electable. To be clear: you cannot just propose adding half-a-million irregular dependents on public services to your country, and expect the existing dependents on public services to keep supporting your party. Particularly when the new people come from traditional Muslim communities, and thus inevitably a number have negative attitudes to women, gay people, Jews, etc.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #1942 on: April 04, 2018, 01:15:13 PM »

Di Maio says he wants to launch a "government contract" either with the League or the PD, but rejects cooperation with Berlusconi's FI. PD continues to rule out any part in a government cooperation, and Salvini says that FI will be a part of any deal and that Salvini will have to be PM, not Di Maio. Both Salvini and Di Maio seem very confident, and very unwilling to give up the PM position at the moment. The question is whether one of the two will ultimately accept to play second string, or they will prefer to make a new electoral system with a majority for the winning bloc/party and have a new election (before the Constitutional Court rules it out). If Berlusconi and Salvini makes a clear schism, I guess Salvini could easier budge.

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/politics/2018/04/04/presidential-consultations-on-govt-start-2_9e357169-6d8f-4a9b-8d03-895aa899b375.html
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #1943 on: April 06, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »

Di Maio met President Mattarella and repeated that the only two possible coalition partners for him were PD and Lega. He prefers a "German-style government contract" with one of the two. He said M5S wants a government of change, but stated that an M5S-led government Italy would stay in NATO and the EU, including the monetary union.

Salvini insists on a united centre-right coalition, and the three party leaders will go to President Sergio Mattarelal together for the second round of government-formation consultations next week.

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/politics/2018/04/05/german-style-govt-contract-2_b6a5bf3c-d913-4cc6-8e56-8fcee5cd9067.html

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/politics/2018/04/06/centre-right-to-go-to-pres-together-2_6408f1cc-1521-47cf-b085-7691fc7a6061.html
EPG
« Reply #1944 on: April 06, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »

Why would one have to insist that one's only options are PD and Lega, unless one is being pressured to go with Forza or the centre-right as a whole?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1945 on: April 06, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »

Go Di Maio!

Again, I can't believe I'm saying this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1946 on: April 06, 2018, 06:55:21 PM »

Why would one have to insist that one's only options are PD and Lega, unless one is being pressured to go with Forza or the centre-right as a whole?

...because he is? Salvini is skittish about breaking the alliance with Berlusconi, so he's trying to get him on board with talking to M5S while simultaneously trying to get M5S on board with talking to him. I can't see how he succeeds, but stranger things have happened in Italian politics.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #1947 on: April 22, 2018, 12:53:18 PM »

Today elections in Molise for regional assembly and "governor"
poll will close to 23:00 CEST
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #1948 on: April 23, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/politics/2018/04/23/fico-gets-mandate-for-m5s-pd-deal-5_21beac37-4f7d-4556-aaf8-107413d11e6d.html
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #1949 on: April 23, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »

Molise: win for the right:

Right: 43
M5S: 38
PD: 17

It's a better result for the right than 2 months ago. A contrario,  M5S has lost 6 %.

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies