Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:36:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide  (Read 294200 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« on: November 13, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »

Watch Italy missing the World Cup lead to an anti-establishment surge. Frankly, I'd be more willing to shares in M5S than I was yesterday...
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:14:14 AM »

North American ballot came in for my family.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »

North American ballot came in for my family.

Is “Free flights to Italy” a joke party or an intrest group for Italians abroad?

They call themselves an NGO. Not having seen something like this its hard to really understand what they actually are. Pretty funny premise though.
https://freeflightstoitaly.ngo
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »

Insieme: 75%
Civica-Popolare: 65%
Liberi e Uguali: 64%
PD: 62%
M5S: 55%

I kinda understand why the numbers and the chart match up, but not completely. But my results make quite a bit of sense. I'm lost in that wilderness between PD and M5S.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 08:31:14 PM »

The wife decided to go anti-anti-establishment, so I'm dropping off a ballot for PD at the consulate tomorrow.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »

Some people in the party are. While it sounds great in theory to not have a central party with strong control over the candidates, it also lets these wackos get a seat at the table. I doubt a M5S government would do much with anti-vax, but its still not something you want going on.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 04:12:22 PM »

Sad Starting to get nervous.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 11:41:03 PM »

What I am reading from various news wires:

1) Five Star Movement candidate Luigi Di Maio will speak to the media later today and will likely call on President Sergio Mattarella to give Five Star the first chance to form a government, being that they were the most-voted party with about 33 percent of the popular vote.

2) The League's strong showing, winning about 17 percent of the vote and surpassing Silvio Berlusconi's Forza Italia party in the Center-Right coalition, will make it less likely the League would seek a post-election, anti-establishment alliance with Five Star, even if they had enough seats for a majority.

3) Berlusconi's Center-Right coalition will also demand the right to form a government as their combined votes of more than 35 percent will top Five Star. The coalition will also win the most seats in both chambers, but remain well short of a majority.

Since the President is a leftist, he'll probably prefer to give M5S the first opportunity, right? Not that its ideal for him or anything, but still.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »

Apologies. Centre-leftist?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 12:18:08 AM »

Honestly, I always knew PD was headed for a bad night, but his referendum and his resignation/return really screwed the bloc over.

Anyways, I'm predicting an M5S-PD coalition with Genitiloni as Prime Minister. Renzi is foolish if he thinks either party is gonna want him to be the head.

It seems the betting markets agree with you on Genitiloni, but could you explain to me why that is / M5S would go along with that?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 10:06:22 AM »

From AP:

(AP) -- Ex-Premier Matteo Renzi is challenging members of his defeated Democrats to publicly declare if they'll support the 5-Star Movement, as he tries to prevent his party from fracturing and backing its political nemesis.
Renzi took to Facebook Tuesday after national election results showed his once-dominant Democratic Party had brought the center-left to its worst showing ever, with the coalition taking less than 23 percent of the vote.
The center-right coalition had 37 percent and the anti-establishment 5-Stars 32 percent. Neither obtained enough to govern.
That outcome has kicked off weeks of horse-trading as each potential governing force tries to pick up support from elsewhere, including from disillusioned Democrats who might be tempted to back the 5-Stars.
Renzi has said the Democrats must be the opposition to any 5-Star government.

PD needs to send this guy out of town...

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 10:03:46 AM »

This is so weird that the League wins some constituencies in the south. They change their name and their positions, but until recently they delivered populist anti-southern speeches

I think they played it off as saying the south, as every region would, would be better off if given more autonomy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies