Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:14:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide  (Read 294004 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: November 16, 2013, 06:03:32 AM »

Oh my God. Details?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »

Nov. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Coalition including former Premier Berlusconi’s Forza Italia party and new center right group formed by deputy premier Alfano at 37% vs 34.6% last week, according to poll by SWG of voting intentions.

Center-left including Premier Letta’s PD party at 32.9% vs 33.3% last week: SWG
Grillo’s Five-Star Movement at 19.8% vs 20.8%: SWG
Undecideds and abstentions 40% vs 41.5% last week: SWG

NOTE: Poll conducted Nov. 19-20 on 1,000 interviews

Why three significant figures?

For some reason, Italian pollsters seem to believe decimals are valuable information.

2006 and 2013 were quite close...
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »

Nov. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Coalition including former Premier Berlusconi’s Forza Italia party and new center right group formed by deputy premier Alfano at 37% vs 34.6% last week, according to poll by SWG of voting intentions.

Center-left including Premier Letta’s PD party at 32.9% vs 33.3% last week: SWG
Grillo’s Five-Star Movement at 19.8% vs 20.8%: SWG
Undecideds and abstentions 40% vs 41.5% last week: SWG

NOTE: Poll conducted Nov. 19-20 on 1,000 interviews

Why three significant figures?

For some reason, Italian pollsters seem to believe decimals are valuable information.

2006 and 2013 were quite close...

Yes, but, as both these elections showed, the pollsters' margin of error goes well beyond the single percentage point.

True. If an election is close enough that decimals would be valuable information in polling then it's more than close enough for the polls to get the result wrong anyway.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:22:24 PM »

Oh, this electoral law decision should be fun.  Smiley  Please give us a system that people can at least partly understand!

As for the new symbol, yeah, it leaves a lot to be desired but at least it isn't another party that just threw the tricolor in there.

Are you supporting NCD, Phil?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »

I wasn't under the impression that Renzi was at all a left-winger within the context of PD.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »

The new Renzi-appointed PD executive board is majority female

Good.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In principle neutral, but in the context of Italian political culture probably also good.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »

What kind of electoral reform is being considered?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »

What kind of electoral reform is being considered?

Renzi made 3 proposals:
- The "mayor of Italy" system (yes that's how it's being called), which, if I understand correctly, basically means a direct election of the PM in a two-round system and a majority bonus to the winner's party.
- A Spanish system, with PR in very small constituencies so as to favor larger parties.
- A return to the 1993-2005 electoral law, the so-called "mattarellum", with some tweaks once again to ensure a stable majority.

I think Alfano expressed a preference for the former. It's also to see what Berlusconi will do, since Renzi indicated he's available for a broader agreement.

Oh my God, that first one is awful.

But that's just my own distaste for directly-elected PMs and majority bonuses talking. Which if any do you support?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »

I know.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I know.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 05:19:57 AM »

What will Berlusconi be meeting Renzi about and why is the government hanging by a wire? I thought the Berlusconi loyalists had gone into opposition months ago anyway.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 05:45:23 AM »

What I've been seeing is that it's not clear that the Senate will even be elected any more, so I imagine it is indeed being proposed that it be made something more like a normal revising chamber.

I still don't understand why Berlusconi is involved in this, or still being taken seriously in general.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »

That sounds like a horrible, convoluted mess all around.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 12:45:27 AM »

Have the other parties in the coalition indicated whether they'd vote for confidence in Renzi?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 12:31:16 PM »

Yeah, this just comes across as a self-aggrandizing power grab.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »

This system is unbelievably awful. Just retaining the status quo for the Camera and reducing the power of the Senate would be preferable.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2014, 06:50:41 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

This system is unbelievably awful. Just retaining the status quo for the Camera and reducing the power of the Senate would be preferable.

You do realize that if elections were held today under the current system, the parliament that would emerge would make Berlusconi indispensable for coalition building (and by Berlusconi, I mean that even PD + Alfano wouldn't work anymore)?

I'm tempted to argue that that's an inherent problem with Berlusconi's continued existence as a political figure, not with the electoral system, but instead I'd just ask how you figure, because at least in the case of the Camera--by 'reducing the power of the Senate' I do mean making it so that it's no longer necessary for confidence and supply, among other things--I actually didn't realize that, no.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »

That's a pretty irrelevant sign.

Antonio, what if anything do you know about these people as individuals?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »

You live in a different world than most of us if you believe looks don't play a role in politics.

I ought to have said that it should be an irrelevant sign.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »

Out of curiosity, what do we think would happen if Renzi were to call an election at some point within the next, say, six months?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 04:36:53 AM »

With Renzi government so solid, should be time for Napolitano get out of Quirinale? Or he'll remain, as a Presidential Election would be a mess?

From what I've understood, he plans to stay until the electoral and constitutional reforms will be passed, ensuring a more stable political situation.

Out of curiosity, what do we think would happen if Renzi were to call an election at some point within the next, say, six months?

I'm not sure PD would reach 40% in a general election, where turnout is generally higher, but it would still do pretty well, above 35%. Still, that wouldn't be enough for a majority, as long as the electoral system isn't reformed. So the situation would be more or less what it is now, except NCD would be marginalized while FI gains ground.

Both of these answers beg the question of if there's any timetable for getting the reforms (which I still maintain are godawful, but they're better than nothing) passed yet.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »

I don't know if this is a popular opinion within Italy or not, but from where I'm standing I really think Napolitano deserves the best in the world for all he's done to keep the country functioning. I hope he can get some rest and something at least resembling a retirement soon. He's ancient as it is.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »

Today Renzi met with M5S leaders, who finally agreed to have a discussion/negotiation on electoral reform (for which they unveiled their own proposal). The meeting was broadcast on live stream. So, in short, there's still a long way to go, but both sides showed some good will and further meetings should follow. If they're serious about this, it's actually a great occasion to significantly improve the law.

This is because most of the right has flaked out of their commitment to this, isn't it?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »

Bills can be passed article by article in Italian parliamentary procedure? Or was the reform package introduced as multiple separate pieces of legislation?

I think that votes on specific articles (which serve to summarily dismiss flocks of amendments and do not preclude the need for a final vote on the entire bill) are a fairly common procedure in Italian and French legislative processes. Doesn't that exist in the US?

Yes, which is why I deleted the post I made asking the question. I realized I'd misread the article.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »

Dare I ask how the political reform is going?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »

Ugh. Let me guess, Article 18 of the Statute of Workers is on the chopping block. Am I close?

Is there any hope at all that the labor market reform gets defeated or significantly altered but the political reform goes through anyway?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies