BART Strike: Who do you stand with? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:32:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  BART Strike: Who do you stand with? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Strikers (D)

Strikers (R)

Strikers (I/O)

BART ('D')

BART (R)

BART (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: BART Strike: Who do you stand with?  (Read 3294 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: October 21, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

The workers want 16% over 4 years, BART wants to give them 12% over 4 years. Seems like the workers are just being greedy there. 12% is well over the rate of inflation for 4 years. Heck, just indexing wages to employment should be sufficient; they're lucky the trains aren't just automated. However, the real sticking point here is the "work rules" argument: should BART be allowed to upgrade to paperless systems that replace administrative jobs (yes, of course) and should BART employees be allowed to cut down their trips and still get paid the same or more (of course not)?

Shutting down mass public transportation is a very un-liberal concept. I have little sympathy for the workers.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »

BART wants to give the workers a 12% pay raise over the next 4 years. The workers want more. I stand with BART! Hopefully cooler heads will prevail soon or I hope Governor Brown forces them back to work. And the legislature should draw up legislation preventing such strikes in the future.
Half the story hasn't been told:

After not having a pay raise for the last 5, yes.
Which is why there are not two sides/stories.

You're really upset that public employees didn't get pay increases during the Great Recession? If you're going to increase spending on labor in a recession, it should be to hire more people not increase wages for a few.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies