BART Strike: Who do you stand with? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:41:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  BART Strike: Who do you stand with? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Strikers (D)

Strikers (R)

Strikers (I/O)

BART ('D')

BART (R)

BART (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: BART Strike: Who do you stand with?  (Read 3319 times)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: October 21, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »

Because ensuring your wage and working conditions offer security and comfort takes precedence over temporary inconveniences of other workers. 'Leftists' opposed to strikes on the basis they'd inconvenience workers are essentially opposed to strikes full stop.

BART wants to give the workers a 12% pay raise over the next 4 years. The workers want more.

After not having a pay raise for the last 5, yes.

How much inflation was there during those 5 years though? It was the recession years and many people didn't get raises during that time.

So everyone should get f**ked? How dare the BART strikers ask to be paid what they're worth! We need more, not less, people willing to stop working until they get what they deserve.

Why don't they just get market rates then. Then they would get what they deserve.

And you accuse TNF of ridiculous posts?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »

Because ensuring your wage and working conditions offer security and comfort takes precedence over temporary inconveniences of other workers. 'Leftists' opposed to strikes on the basis they'd inconvenience workers are essentially opposed to strikes full stop.

BART wants to give the workers a 12% pay raise over the next 4 years. The workers want more.

After not having a pay raise for the last 5, yes.

How much inflation was there during those 5 years though? It was the recession years and many people didn't get raises during that time.

So everyone should get f**ked? How dare the BART strikers ask to be paid what they're worth! We need more, not less, people willing to stop working until they get what they deserve.

Why don't they just get market rates then. Then they would get what they deserve.

And you accuse TNF of ridiculous posts?

You have a problem with the market dictating wages? That is a ridiculous position in my opinion. That is why I support greater technology advances so that BART workers can be more productive and earn greater wages. Run the train till 3 at night!

So you oppose minimum wage too? I think any argument starting with workers relying on the market to get what they deserve is transparently absurd. But at this point we can add the notion that they'll be the automatic beneficiaries of any increased productivity and squeezing more hours out of them, unpaid, to that heap of ridiculousness, as well.

Am I not a leftist because I oppose strikes by policemen and firemen as well? Essential government services -- and for millions of people (a significant chunk of them the poor) public transportation is an essential government service -- should not be interrupted because the public employees are on strike. These strikes are hurting people. It's very different from the inconvenience of a factory or even a school being closed by a strike. People depend on these services in their day to day lives, to get to work, to buy groceries, etc.

And part of that deal, to give up their most fundamental workers right, must surely be that their working conditions can't be steadily erroded - which freezing wages amounts to once inflation is factored in. Public transport is not an emergency service, to compare the two is not remotely credible, and how is a teacher's strike not hurting people in the same way? I suppose they can't strike, either? Workers at energy firms? Basically anywhere a strike could actually be effective? Well I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't trust you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies