University of Arkansas: Hillary +2 on Generic R
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:55:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  University of Arkansas: Hillary +2 on Generic R
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: University of Arkansas: Hillary +2 on Generic R  (Read 2439 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »

I don't think Hilary is winning Arkansas. Once they find out about how she is an actual liberal and not just the wife of a former president/governor. I wouldn't take this too hard, in the end, I expect republicans to win the state by a Bush 2004 margin. If another democrat gets elected, I expect the margin to be a little larger. You can argue against me, but I don't think this small lead will last.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »

I don't think Hilary is winning Arkansas. Once they find out about how she is an actual liberal and not just the wife of a former president/governor.

I don't live there, but since she has been in the public eye there for much longer than anywhere else, I get the feeling that people in Arkansas have already formed their opinion of Hillary Clinton, and there's little left for them to "find out about" her.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »

Arkansas will go to the GOP again, but it might be like 53-46 rather than 61-37.  Rather, I'm curious whether Clinton doing this well in Arkansas suggests good things for Missouri.

Yeah, assuming these polls showing Hillary doing well in Appalachia hold up, Missouri would probably be a lean D state.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »

I don't think Hilary is winning Arkansas. Once they find out about how she is an actual liberal and not just the wife of a former president/governor. I wouldn't take this too hard, in the end, I expect republicans to win the state by a Bush 2004 margin. If another democrat gets elected, I expect the margin to be a little larger. You can argue against me, but I don't think this small lead will last.

It's not so much that people think she'll win, just that she's digging into the GOP coalition. The GOP desperately needs to GAIN support right now, they can't afford to lose any of the support they currently have,
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »

I can see how Bill Clinton might campaign in the state.  He has great affection for his home state and he will want Hillary to carry it.  Bill is actually a really popular figure even in Arkansas and make no mistake, he will be out on the campaign trail.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »

I can see how Bill Clinton might campaign in the state.  He has great affection for his home state and he will want Hillary to carry it.  Bill is actually a really popular figure even in Arkansas and make no mistake, he will be out on the campaign trail.

This. I expect Arkansas to be contested by the Clinton campaign and Bill proably wanting to win it. I bet they place money into the state and contest it then reevaluate funds in October. It may be close in the polling but dont underestimate the power of Bill on the ground. In the 08 primaries he flipped many small counties for Hillary in many of the states he campaigned in, Arkansas is full of smaller counties that would need to flip in order for Hillary to take it. They may come up short, but I expect they will at least fight for it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »

Hillary Clinton +2 on "Generic R" in Arkansas indicates that a significant part of the hemorrhaging of D-leaning votes has been reversed. In 1996 (in which Bill Clinton won Arkansas by a landslide margin), Clinton won all counties except in the northwestern corner of the state.

It's been a long time since Arkansas was really close in a Presidential campaign other than 1980 (something of a surprise) and 2000. Dubya then won it 51-45, and Gore still won Pulaski County (Little Rock) and most of the counties in the eastern two tiers of the state and a few in the southwest -- but practically nothing to the north and west of US 67 and Interstate 30.  Arkansas seems to go wildly one way or another. It went 69-31 for Nixon in 1972,  60-36 for Reagan in 1984, but 65-35 for Carter in 1976. 

The Ozarks are gone for the Democrats except that the northwestern, somewhat urban counties (Benton, Washington, and maybe Sebastian) would have to get closer. Wal*Mart influence? Wal*Mart is one of the biggest customers for welfare recipients and is one of the biggest transactors in SNAP payments. It has more of a stake in welfare than does Whole Foods.  Hillary would have to pick up northeastern Arkansas (Craighead, Greene, Mississippi), some of whose counties went to Al Gore in 2000.

There could be much nostalgia for Bill Clinton in 2016, especially after the catastrophic failure of Dubya as President in economics (things could be good for a while, and then one got the bill) and of a lopsided recovery under Obama.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »

Considering that Hillary won't be able to run away from Obama, I doubt she wins Arkansas, West Virginia or Kentucky. Missouri could be interesting, but whatever gains she makes in the Ozarks may be countered by a poor performance in the suburbs. Though Obama already performed poorly in the suburbs in 2012 so it might not be that big of an issue.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »

Hillary would probably do much better than Obama in Arkansas, since she's a Clinton and she's white, but the fact that she she worked for Obama might be too much of a burden for her to overcome to actually win the state.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »

If they find that out, they will be mistaken.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2013, 06:22:24 PM »

The ghost of liberalism oooooh lol. Tongue

Are Americans really this stupid? And yes, I'm talking to the young Republicans among you. Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 03:06:34 PM »

PPP backs this up ...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: