US House Redistricting: General
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:27:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: General
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: General  (Read 137436 times)
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2022, 02:05:10 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/01/11/opinion/redistricting-gerrymandering-reform.html

OPINION | You Can’t Judge a District Just by Looking at It
It’s hard to spot voter disenfranchisement with the naked eye.

One way to stymie partisan gerrymandering is by putting redistricting in the hands of commissions that include Democrats and Republicans. “You can pick half a dozen different parameters, and on every single one of them, you're seeing progress in states that have independent commissions,” said Nicholas Stephanopoulos, a law professor at Harvard University.

Independent commissions aren’t a panacea. In some states, legislators have all but ignored the decisions of poorly structured panels. But when designed carefully, the commissions are a significant improvement over the status quo.

Democrats in the House have proposed mandating independent commissions in their voting rights bill, the For the People Act. But Republicans have blocked the legislation in the Senate.

“With the politicians, once they’re pursuing their self-interests, everything else goes out the window,” Mr. Stephanopoulos said.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2022, 11:38:01 AM »

Expect A LOT of redistricting news this week after several weeks of not a lot.

This includes:

- NY introducing and potentially passing maps
- FL House voting on maps; we’ll see if they keep the State Senate map
- Louisiana will finally be introducing maps in the legistlature to vote on but they may get vetoed
- TN and KS maps are at governors desk
- NC SC hears redistricting case
- Prolly some other stuff too
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2022, 01:02:41 PM »

Could the GOP's House gains be underwhelming?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2022, 03:12:31 PM »

Could the GOP's House gains be underwhelming?

Ye I think most people in the congressional thread seem to have quite disjointed House and Senate predictions, saying stuff like the Senate will be a wash and Dems will lose 35 House seats in 2022. Frankly, if Democrats are at a level where they’re competitive in holding the Senate they’re also competitive in holding the House, and the median House seat could very well vote to the left of the median senate seat. If Dems are doomed in the House, they’re also prolly doomed in the Senate
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2022, 08:45:58 AM »

The wrong track number is going down from 70 to 55 percent so the presumptive RH isn't assumed even without Voting Rights make no mistake we need Voting Rights but weren't not headed for an inevitable defeat either, it's not over for Ds until all the votes are cracked open
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2022, 04:16:38 PM »

It looks like my old district of SC-01 moved the entirety of downtown Charleston and one of its suburbs into Jim Clyburn's district and expanded into a rural county. I guess the state GOP was upset Joe Cunningham defeated crazy Katie Arrington in 2018.

I had no idea of this until I went to vote against Katie Arrington again to ensure that, if a Republican won, it would be Nancy Mace, but found out through the poll workers I was no longer in the 1st district. They said there was a lawsuit pending over that, but I am sure nothing will come of it.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2022, 11:48:01 PM »

It looks like my old district of SC-01 moved the entirety of downtown Charleston and one of its suburbs into Jim Clyburn's district and expanded into a rural county. I guess the state GOP was upset Joe Cunningham defeated crazy Katie Arrington in 2018.

I had no idea of this until I went to vote against Katie Arrington again to ensure that, if a Republican won, it would be Nancy Mace, but found out through the poll workers I was no longer in the 1st district. They said there was a lawsuit pending over that, but I am sure nothing will come of it.

Mace's district is trapped along the coast by Clyburns which was underpopulated, and protected by VRA, making it very hard to shore up mace much. Rural communities both to the Northeast and Southwest of Charleston along the coast Lean D because of black population, instead the only real option was to do a finer sorting of conservative Charleston suburbs into Mace's district and ones that had become bluer into Clyburns.

In a close election, these changes could matter, but Mace could still be in trouble at some point this decade.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies