o hai
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:46:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  o hai
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: o hai  (Read 6238 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »

I am offended I was not included in this grand conspiracy! Sad

Seriously, I have thought about going in there and helping get rid of the few individuals who are embarrassing the Federalist party. Perhaps I have said too much, but that's how I roll.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »

Considering how the Labor's strategic registration in the IDS was received, I don't understand why some folks are making this into such a big deal. The only story I see here isn't what they did, it's how it was handled ever.

Public relations fail. Learning the ropes of this game takes time. Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »

THIS IS GONNA BE A GREAT ENTRY IN LOVE TALES OF HAGRID & GRIFFIN

I should certainly hope so Tongue 
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »

Meh. The biggest issue here is that someone posted a PM, which is against forum rules. It's legal to move wherever you want; let's not pretend otherwise.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 10:56:15 PM »

No worries Mr. X.  I don't even think you did anything wrong, but I'm touched you stuck up for me.

Y'all are such drama queens.  Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 11:44:45 PM »

Seriously, I have thought about going in there and helping get rid of the few individuals who are embarrassing the Federalist party. Perhaps I have said too much, but that's how I roll.

"Freedom's just another word....." Wink

I cannot load the first page of the thread to find out what is going on here exactly. The real scandal is that I am wasting so much time to try and load it. Tongue

This gets back to what I said before. At some point intensity goes to far and playing to win becomes win by any means necessary and that is not heathy for a political simulation where everything is fake anyway. People will get hurt and people will get pissed and someone will end up throwing up their hands and walking away as a result.

Also I would say that if the PROs are cannabalizing the Pacific to take over the Mideast, I think such will only be hurting the Pacific by restoring the region to its traditional one party domination and at the very least depriving it of activity and interest at a time when it desperately needs all it can get.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »

I cannot load the first page of the thread to find out what is going on here exactly. The real scandal is that I am wasting so much time to try and load it. Tongue

This gets back to what I said before. At some point intensity goes to far and playing to win becomes win by any means necessary and that is not heathy for a political simulation where everything is fake anyway. People will get hurt and people will get pissed and someone will end up throwing up their hands and walking away as a result.

Also I would say that if the PROs are cannabalizing the Pacific to take over the Mideast, I think such will only be hurting the Pacific by restoring the region to its traditional one party domination and at the very least depriving it of activity and interest at a time when it desperately needs all it can get.
PRO has never had the intention of turning the Pacific into a one-party state. All registered Pacifican Progressives were already Pacificans when they registered as Progressives, or were new members.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 11:49:12 PM »

Cut this crap out, or I will declare your party a terrorist organization. I am also offended I haven't been recruited to join your party. The gal you all have!
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 11:52:28 PM »

Cut this crap out, or I will declare your party a terrorist organization. I am also offended I haven't been recruited to join your party. The gal you all have!

At least you got recruited by someone.  I feel so unloved..almost wishing to be strategically motivated Sad
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2013, 12:02:22 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

PRO has never had the intention of turning the Pacific into a one-party state. All registered Pacifican Progressives were already Pacificans when they registered as Progressives, or were new members.

You misunderstood me. I said if you were moving people out, not in, then you would be moving it towards a one party state.

Moving PROs in would probably actually help, not hurt the Pacific most likely but that is beside the point.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 12:03:56 AM »

At least you got recruited by someone.  I feel so unloved..almost wishing to be strategically motivated Sad

Well, you'll always have thoughts of Duke/Cincy to warm your heart. Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 12:05:56 AM »

That's my point. They never recruited me either. You aren't alone. We were both discarded like ugly ducklings.

But really, I will not be afraid to tackle this threat head on like an NFL linebacker tackles a poor running back.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »

Cum join us in radical homosexual splendor! You know The Party is the only way forward et al such as the Iraq
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »

Cum join us in radical homosexual splendor! You know The Party is the only way forward et al such as the Iraq

My qualms aren't with the gays. I have always had one hand in their cookie jar, feeling around for the magic treasure and to see if I can get to the center of their tootsie pop before time expires.

Don't try to divert the spotlight off of our friends in the PU. They have wanted it so badly for weeks now, well, here it is. Embrace it like Vana White or Kim Kardashian. Just know that my eye is on you like the paparazzi's eyes were on Princess Diana right before she was murdered by the French. Play the game the right way, embrace the gays, and you'll find your life more peaceful and you'll avoid getting reprimanded by my secret police.

Please note, this thread doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever, but I am establishing myself as the Enforcer and Chief of this game we all know and love.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 12:22:44 AM »

It sure is comforting to know that the enforcer has a "more-then-adequate" supply of strong drink. I can sleep in peace now. Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 12:29:05 AM »

See, it's sh**t like this that leads to certain regions having people leave them and come flooding to the Mideast.  I'd better not see Mr. X supporting regional consolidation and making the "the Pacific is too inactive" argument.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 12:40:58 AM »

Look, I am going to say this and end my contribution to this shenanigan-filled event. I never believed, in strategic movement, now before people attack me for a hypocrisy, I moved to the Midwest on my own, no party and no individual told me to move here. I oppose parties telling people to move. Look this whole thing was private, it's no longer in private, and that is why everyone is up in arms. Come to my office, grab a snickers, and move on. If the CARCA plan passes or another form of consolidation happens, this whole shootin' match is negated.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 02:06:20 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2013, 02:08:24 AM by ZuWo »

I am not surprised but it's good to have clarity. Efforts by the left to make people strategically register in the Mideast have been going on for a very long time. I certainly have a lower opinion of some people in the Progressive Union now, though.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 03:33:47 AM »

The amount of passive aggressiveness in this thread is pretty hilarious.  Honestly, I haven't been asking anyone to switch to the Mideast.

If someone thinks the Mideast is a fun place to be and wants to participate in what we have going on here, though, why the heck not?  It's a free country.  Nobody should have to stay some place they don't enjoy.  If people are coming to the Mideast, we should welcome them.  At least, that's what I would do if I was Governor.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2013, 04:02:38 AM »

For a long time there has been a more or less silent agreement in Atlasia that people should register in their real-life homestates. This makes sense because strategic registration severely hurts the game as evidenced by this very thread.

Firstly, the atmosphere in the game becomes worse because of strategic registration efforts. Nobody likes it if the region they have been part of for months or years is suddenly overrun by strategic registrants who have no affiliation to that region and whose sole job is to vote for or against a certain party. If the Federalist Party decided to make, say, three Northeastern and two Midwestern Federalists register in the Mideast a couple of days before an important election, I think the Mideast PU and Labor Party members wouldn't welcome them with open arms.

Secondly, as this case shows strategic registration leads to a drain of citizens in regions where new players are needed the most. The Pacific is the one Atlasian region which struggles most with activity, yet some people think it's smart to target real-life Pacificans as new recruits for the Mideast, the biggest and most active Atlasian region by far. The worst and most counterproductive thing to do at the moment is to weaken the Pacific even more for purely partisan reasons.

Finally, if one side starts serious efforts at strategic registration, the other side may feel compelled to react, which makes the situation all the more serious. In short, strategic registrations may benefit a particular political group in the short term but it's absolutely devastating for the game in the long run.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 04:26:52 AM »

First, yes I would welcome people to the region, especially if they are interested in running for office but also even if not.  Right now, we don't have that many candidates or people interested in running.  That makes things kind of boring.  Having active elections with exciting candidates would be much better for the region.  If that means I get voted out of office, that's okay.  I'd just find something else to do.

Your argument forgets too that people aren't robots.  Nobody can make anyone join another region.  The best anyone could do is ask.  People are free to say "No, I don't want to switch regions."  They might also say, "Okay, great your region looks like fun."  There's really no coercion involved in that scenario.  I think you're crediting the parties with way more strength than they actually have.  I'd lean more towards thinking that people can think for themselves.

Also, there are already mechanisms in place to discourage blatant "strategic registration."  Once someone switches regions, they can't switch again for another six months.  That's a really long time, so anyone that changes regions has to be prepared to stay there for the long haul.  Regions also tend to invalidate votes of people that just switched within the last week.

The real-life home-states argument makes even less sense because we have so many people in the game that don't even live in the United States, including you.  People from other countries should get special treatment by getting a free pass to choose anyone they want, while Americans should be frowned upon for picking the state that they want?  That's a pretty ridiculous idea.

The most important point, though, is that this is supposed to be a game that's fun.  If someone isn't having fun, or they think they might have fun in a different region, "the state of regions" is pretty irrelevant.  People may as well just not play if they can't enjoy themselves.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 05:27:51 AM »

I will reply to your post bit by bit.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The last point is certainly true for the Federalist Party, but when I read how President Nix refers to other Labor Party members as "soldiers" that are needed in other regions and when I see that the Labor Party has been pretty vocal about their past strategic registration attempts in the IDS, I must question that every player is as independent as we would like to think. There have been concerted efforts to make members of a particular party register in a particular region for short-term political gain, that's a fact.

This doesn't affect the effectiveness of strategic registration in any negative way. Parties can send some of their loyal "soldiers" from region A to region B and fill the void that has been created in region A with people from regions C and D. As for the invalidation of votes, only those votes cast by people who have moved to a particular region less than seven days before an election are invalidated. People who strategically register 8 or more days before the election are not affected by this rule. 

What should people who aren't from the US do, in your opinion? They have no other choice than to select a random region and, preferably, stay there for some time. For Americans, the easiest and the most logical decision is indeed to pick their home state. Of course, if a few Americans decide to register in an entirely different state that's fine but it gets problematic when new players are systematically encouraged by a certain party to register in a particular region.

That's indeed one of the key points: fun. But systematic attempts at strategic registration kill the fun for many. Again, it's not a problem if a few people decide on their own that they would like to register in a different region, but it's getting troubling for the game if it's done systematically by a particular party.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 07:22:41 AM »

More than strategic recruitment, I'm more concerned about the party's leadership making deals or coalitions with other parties (or in this case, a member of another party) without even consulting the rest of the party or taking all positions into account (since, for the record, not all of us are center-left).

Organizing a crusade against the current Mideast leadership out of nowhere, even taking into account previous attempts from all parties to change the balance of power (which includes my recruitment attempts for the Midwest, Labor in the IDS and so forth) is something that I find unpleasant, to say the least.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 07:31:19 AM »

See, it's sh**t like this that leads to certain regions having people leave them and come flooding to the Mideast.  I'd better not see Mr. X supporting regional consolidation and making the "the Pacific is too inactive" argument.

That has never been my reason for supporting regional consolidation.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »

There has always been a gentlemen's agreement that you register in your home state, unless you are unamerican and then you're inherently dangerous and we must be suspicious of you anyway. Wink

Elections are boring? Okay. Let's reform this country. Reform =/ strategic registration.

We have seen in the past that this practice typically does more harm than good, but if the PU insists on doing it, at least be honest and don't pretend to be some goody two shoes group of kids that have never seen a woman's vagina and never cursed. I would at least respect you if nothing else.

That is why I like the Labor. They don't act like children when it comes to policy. Rather, they act like brave, handsome radical gay men. That is to be celebrated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies