Predict when the Update is reopened
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:49:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Predict when the Update is reopened
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Predict when the Update is reopened  (Read 2879 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »

Terms of Service violations are not the only possible reasons for bans and/or other forms of punishment. You do not have a legal right to post here; your precious constitution and your so-called 'bill of rights' are irrelevant.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was going to say - the Terms of Service isn't the constitution, mods can and should ban for any decent reason.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »

I'm glad you're committing to oppose any Torie efforts to officially shut down the Update, inks.

The only way I would support some sort of shutdown is if Jeff came to us and said something along the lines of, "I know I can't do this on my own.  I want you to help me to keep Update shutdown by deleting any future Updates."  But the only way I would agree to that is if he didn't even do occasional attention whoring threads about getting a job, Allison dumping him, whatever... because those would just lead to Update.

The problem with this is that we know Jeff changes his mind a lot.  So I haven't even decided if I would entertain such a request from Jeff.  But what I do know is that other than a court order or direction from Dave(/Nym) that is the only condition that I would consider supporting a moderator-imposed shutdown of Update.

Its funny how in that last update shutdown thread (the one on the atlas subforum that I bumped) the mods ardently insisted that Bushie's wishes for it to be shutdown had no bearing whatsoever on when it actually was.

What?

As usual, total inconsistency:

He wants it locked.  Until he comes to me or Mikado asking for it to be unlocked, this debate is 100% pointless.

If he asks for it to be unlocked, we'll address that issue when it arises.  Until then, I really don't see how it concerns anybody else other than Mikado, Alcon, myself, and BushOK.

But then, on the next page,

Really the thing that bugs me is that the mods are basically locking it per Bushie's request.

Decision to lock was not based on a request from anyone outside the mod staff.

Why was my update thread locked because this is not a blog, and the other one locked because bushie wanted it locked?

It wasn't locked because he wanted it locked.  If he wanted it locked, he could've done that himself.

And then ofc the convoluted explanation:

Various reasons.  The reason it's staying locked is because the forum's purpose is not to be a personal blog.  If we allow BushOK to do it, we have to allow everybody to do it.  And that's not why this forum exists.

I understand your point, but the thread was allowed to gain such a cult following around here, only to have the moderators rip it away from us. If this was such a concern, why wasn't it squashed earlier? Like a year ago? I'm sure there's some other reason, but I won't speculate.

That said, your response was a new reason. Previously, it was because he wanted to keep it locked and it would be unlocked if he requested it. Now, we're hearing "this isn't a place to blog." Typical moderator double-speak Wink

It probably should've been locked a year ago.  I'll be honest.  And, it was NEVER locked because BushOK wanted it locked.  Let me make this clear: BushOK's desires were not factored in at all when the thread was locked.  0%.

There were multiple reasons the thread was locked (which I don't feel would be appropriate to discuss publicly).

When asked why it wasn't unlocked, I gave the response that BushOK didn't want it re-opened, but that was not the only reason.  I could have given about 15 reasons it won't be unlocked, but that was the most relevant at the time because BushOK had just said he didn't want it unlocked.

Oh, you're referring to that. I've been pretty open about the fact that I changed my opinion on the thread over the 2+ years that that happened. If you want to call that 'inconsistency', that's fair, but I've publicly said that was the wrong course of action back in April 2011. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »

I thought you were  referring to the last time Jeff locked the thread.  I'm not sure what your point is in dragging something up from 30 months ago when I've publicly reversed my position that I took back then.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2013, 10:49:10 PM by Torie »

In other news, I trust Bushie to keep his word, rendering this all moot. Folks are selling him short here. I'm buying him long. I feel almost like forming a prayer ring, to emanate some positive vibes to him wishing him well on what I hope is a new path in life. It is time for him to put some energy, real energy, into living not just life, but the good life. I just have this feeling that he might be able to muster the courage to tack into the no more excuses zone, to fashion the craft in which he can cross back over the River Styx to return to the promise land. It's pretty terrifying over there on the other side.  I am willing him mentally to just do it, sort of like ESP or something.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2013, 02:06:49 PM »

In other news, I trust Bushie to keep his word, rendering this all moot. Folks are selling him short here. I'm buying him long. I feel almost like forming a prayer ring, to emanate some positive vibes to him wishing him well on what I hope is a new path in life. It is time for him to put some energy, real energy, into living not just life, but the good life. I just have this feeling that he might be able to muster the courage to tack into the no more excuses zone, to fashion the craft in which he can cross back over the River Styx to return to the promise land. It's pretty terrifying over there on the other side.  I am willing him mentally to just do it, sort of like ESP or something.

You're just bullying him, and congratulating yourself that you're 'doing him some good'.  It is disgusting.

You realize you leave him nothing in life but sitting in a trailer in Oklahoma waiting to die.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »

At least post a different picture once in awhile.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »

This nerd needs Obamacare.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2013, 08:17:52 PM »

In other news, I trust Bushie to keep his word, rendering this all moot. Folks are selling him short here.

So, with that said, there will be no Update Season XII opened at this time.  I'm going to try to be Update-less through the Holidays.  I've made it 12 days so far, so surely I can make it another 7 1/2 weeks.  I'll see once again when we get into January.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »

No season premiere until January? Sigh, I guess I'll have to focus on Christmas in the meantime.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »

In other news, I trust Bushie to keep his word, rendering this all moot. Folks are selling him short here.

So, with that said, there will be no Update Season XII opened at this time.  I'm going to try to be Update-less through the Holidays.  I've made it 12 days so far, so surely I can make it another 7 1/2 weeks.  I'll see once again when we get into January.

I like the "I've made it to 19% of my goal, so surely I can make it to 100%" argument.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »

Here's what he was saying two weeks ago:

After 10 1/2 seasons, I have come to a hard decision.  The Update series needs to stay locked.  It's time for me to move on with my life and pick up the pieces and enjoy it.  The Update was becoming monotonous and tedious and was no longer fun.  I have long thought Update XI would be the final season, so closing it wasn't as a spur of the moment decision as it seems.

I came to this realization after consulting with Torie and Inks late last night and more importantly via a chat with my girlfriend last night.  I realized that it's no longer just me I have to think about.  I am guarding the heart of someone very special to me.  I need to listen to her needs.  We never talked about the Update thread, but I don't want to have to have that discussion.

I'm no longer going to answer any questions about my life.  I may make a quick Attention Whoring thread when I am officially engaged or finish school/find a job.  But, no more than a page or two.  I'm no longer going to post on every mundane detail of my life.  If you want to know how I'm doing, check on Facebook.

Note, I am NOT leaving the forum or taking a break.  I hope to take this time to clearly define my political positions, which I'll admit sometimes waffles, and start discussing the 2014 mid terms and the 2016 presidential elections.

I ask that no more Update-esque or BushOklahoma threads be opened.  I will not post in any of the threads, because I am serious about wanting to keep the Update closed.  I want my life to cease being a public spectacle.

With that:  Update is officially in the history books.

So we've gone from "it'll never be reopened" to "I'll think about it in January" in the span of less than two weeks.

At this point, it seems all but inevitable that he'll start a new one by Christmas.

Also "I will not post in any of the threads"?  Lol.  That one didn't take long to fall by the wayside.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2013, 10:35:37 PM »

In any case, it's the familiar pattern.  Bushie locks Update when the heat is on, and people are peppering him with questions that he doesn't want to answer.  When he ultimately ends up reopening it, tempers will have cooled, readers will have forgotten whatever outrage they were previously concerned about, and Bushie will be able to redirect the story in a direction that he's more happy with.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2013, 04:51:24 AM »

In any case, it's the familiar pattern.  Bushie locks Update when the heat is on, and people are peppering him with questions that he doesn't want to answer.  When he ultimately ends up reopening it, tempers will have cooled, readers will have forgotten whatever outrage they were previously concerned about, and Bushie will be able to redirect the story in a direction that he's more happy with.

Bushie is a smart man.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »

Another factor to consider is that the "outrage over the Update being closed" threads have died down now. Those threads usually serve to give Bushie the attention he needs when The Update is locked but once they start disappearing, Bushie starts getting ansty. So he'll start dropping hints about the start date for a new season to put the attention back on him and then of course he will eventually start said season (usually long before the planned start date).

He follows the same basic pattern everytime. It's funny that Torie thought he would break this habit so easily.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2013, 11:40:33 AM by memphis »

You're just bullying him, and congratulating yourself that you're 'doing him some good'.  It is disgusting.

You realize you leave him nothing in life but sitting in a trailer in Oklahoma waiting to die.
I'm sure Torie, or another one of his owner pals, will be along shortly to take the trailer too. Bushie mentioned a while back that his parents have 19 years of payments left. They are elderly and in poor health. A child could put two and two together in this situation.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies