anyone see the emergence of zero-sum politics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:43:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  anyone see the emergence of zero-sum politics?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: anyone see the emergence of zero-sum politics?  (Read 336 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »

This IMO is one of the more disturbing trends in American politics. One thing being to the benefit of a constituency is at the detriment to another. There's also increasingly a lack of fear among some bloggers (and maybe some politicians too) who say stuff like "the people worrying about this will never vote for us in the first place".

I also worry what will happen where 51% of the population consistently votes to hurt the other 49%. I see both parties doing that when they have a trifecta at the lower level and I'm beginning to become more supportive of the Madisonian ideal of consensus before passing anything (remember stuff like the Civil Rights Act and 1965 Immigration Act passed with 2/3 to 3/4 majorities).

Mike Bost may be a crazy redneck but he was spot on with his rant. It's not right to shut people out of committees and get bills through sneaky procedure.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »

I see some of your point, but nostalgia for the past that people were never a part of always annoys the hell out of me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »

I've been seeing this trend for about a decade now. Where have you been?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »

I welcome the destruction of consensus and the development of two mutually opposed, hostile camps with no intent of working with one another. One will ultimately prevail, of course. I just hope it's my side.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2013, 04:52:35 PM by Redalgo »

What I find especially disturbing is how it often applies to entire factions instead of specific pieces of legislation. I can see some reason in voting against something that contains provisions a person finds unconscionable - in that respect compromise is not necessarily a good thing. But when it comes to leaders only wanting to pass certain provisions or enact policies if their own faction gets full credit for it or there is more to gain, symbolically, from attacking opponents' proposals to improve the future competitiveness or appeal of their own faction the situation has really become sickeningly underhanded and inane. The priorities are all messed up. The integrity of policymaking processes matter far more than who wins or loses in the hearts and minds of people in the near future. The power hungry, career-focused, and small minded do not belong in positions of great responsibility and influence. Their corruption seems to hinder the healthful development of society.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies