Senate: President Pro Tempore (VOTING TIME)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:14:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate: President Pro Tempore (VOTING TIME)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Senate: President Pro Tempore (VOTING TIME)  (Read 1462 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
« edited: November 04, 2013, 06:55:26 AM by VP Matt »

I have been informed that we shall have a 48 hour declaration period for PPT, a vote shall then last for 5 days.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2013, 08:55:00 PM by Senator Maxwell »

I second Tmth's nomination of Yankee, of course.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »

I nominate Yankee for PPT - no one knows the Senate rules and procedures better, and he has shown time and time again that he can serve as a non-partisan and active PPT, which is what I believe is best for the Senate. Smiley
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »

I nominate Bore.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »

I accept the nomination and thus declare for the position of President Pro-Tempore of the Senate.

The objective this time is to maintain the speed we have attained, wittle down the queue and to make some changes to the slots so as to create a more balanced division between the VP and PPT and to increase flexibility while still maintaining fair access to all Senators. I also hope to make improvements to the division of authority as well so well with to improve efficiencies namely, leaving all amendment votes and such in the VP hands for his slots unless he were to declare an LOA or something. Last time the idea was for us to support each other on all bills opening and closing votes as close to the time as possible. We could still do that on a limited basis but we need to avoid it becoming a one sided affair again. It needs to be remembered that it is difficult to process the amendments for the single tracker so I will still do my best to prep and assign numbers before the VP takes care of business with them. Finally we need to continue with consolidating and simplifying the OSPR.

Of course a lot depends on Matt and he has already gotten more creative with stuff then previous VPs.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 12:02:12 AM »

Can we get this wrapped up so Yank can get to work?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:54:49 AM »

Senators, a vote for PPT of the 58th Atlasian Senate is now open, please indicate your vote below.

(Not doing a ballot since Bore has not accepted nomination calls.)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »

[1] Bore
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:40:57 AM »

[1] North Carolina Yankee
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »

[1] North Carolina Yankee

I would be rather ashamed of the Senate if we elected someone PPT who didn't even want the job.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 06:17:44 PM »

I would be rather ashamed of the Senate if we elected someone PPT who didn't even want the job.
It comes down to whether folks want to play partisan politics or have an active and productive session.

1. Yankee
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »

It comes down to whether folks want to play partisan politics or have an active and productive session.

1. Yankee

Roll Eyes
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »

1. Yankee

Roll Eyes
The only thing worthy of an eye-roll in this thread is your vote for a Senator who has expressed no interest in the position and has had a sub-par activity record. He was only nominated because regardless of his qualifications, you thought he was the Laborite with the best chance of taking down Yankee...partisan politics.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »

1. Yankee

Roll Eyes
The only thing worthy of an eye-roll in this thread is your vote for a Senator who has expressed no interest in the position and has had a sub-par activity record. He was only nominated because regardless of his qualifications, you thought he was the Laborite with the best chance of taking down Yankee...partisan politics.

k
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 11:01:48 PM »

Bore
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 02:36:23 AM »

President Pro-Tempore:
1. NC Yankee
2. Napoleon
3. Gass3268
4. TNF
5. bore
6. Maxwell
7. Tmthforu94
8. Xahar
9. Tyrion
10. Spiral

Expressed Interest, then Seniority. Going back to how I used to do this, as a way to de-emphasize some of the combativeness. Had bore declared or posted, he would be number two.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »

Bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »

First, I'd like to say that I'm flattered that so many senators are voting for me. Also I don't buy the argument that PPT is an nonpartisan position- it's not like the northeast speakership where the order for bills coming to the floor is fixed. Nevertheless I don't feel willing or able to be PPT, partially because I don't understand the senate's rules but also because I'm not able to give the sort of rigid timing that being PPT required. As well Yankee is very very good at this side of the job, and, despite what he may claim, is one of a very select few who understands the senate's rules.

So, My vote is for TNF, although I won't be devastated when Yankee is inevitably re elected.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 12:05:13 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2013, 04:15:27 PM by public reaction to jimmy savile accusations »

Yank
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »

So Bore doesn't really want to do the job, but you guys want to force it on him. Does TNF want the job? If he did, then why did he nominate Bore? Has Yankee done anything partisan while doing his job as PPT? This is absolutely ridiculous.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 01:00:40 AM »

First, I'd like to say that I'm flattered that so many senators are voting for me. Also I don't buy the argument that PPT is an nonpartisan position- it's not like the northeast speakership where the order for bills coming to the floor is fixed. Nevertheless I don't feel willing or able to be PPT, partially because I don't understand the senate's rules but also because I'm not able to give the sort of rigid timing that being PPT required. As well Yankee is very very good at this side of the job, and, despite what he may claim, is one of a very select few who understands the senate's rules.

So, My vote is for TNF, although I won't be devastated when Yankee is inevitably re elected.

The order is fixed on the first five slots. The only time it doesn't go in order is when there are four bills or more in a row from one Senator, then it skips to the next Senator's after the third. Three more slots are dictated by the Administration for the purposes of brining up the President's agenda. The only one that the PPT has complete discretion is the PPT slot.

I think you are selling yourself short man. I really think, if you could devote the time of course, that you could be just as good as anyone at this. Just being an active Senator and watching the normal process for three months is more than enough to possess the knowledge to do this job. When I first did it, all I did was copy my predecessors and PM someone, typically Jedi at first then BK later on, if something came up.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:05 AM »

I am declaring for PPT and switching my vote to myself. If I am past the point where I can declare, I ask the Senate vote for me as a write-in candidate.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »

Seeing there has been a development in the voting, I'll change my vote to TNF
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »

[1] TNF