FL 2014: Crist is in. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:55:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL 2014: Crist is in. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL 2014: Crist is in.  (Read 9198 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« on: November 03, 2013, 01:57:24 PM »

Has Crist ever been a conservative? I remember after he was elected as a consensus Republican, he was leading on moderate issues like restoring voting rights to disenfranchised people with a criminal record, softening the ban on same-sex couples adopting, and accepting stimulus funds to shield Florida's people from the worst effects of the recession. He didn't become a moderate in response to Rubio running against him; he tried to govern as a moderate and was driven out of the GOP by the Tea Party as a result.

uhh....I don't think he EVER ran on anything like felon enfranchisement. That would have ended him for good. As for the whole "governing like a moderate" thing that has more to do with WHEN he was elected. Charlie Crist saw that Democrats were popular and ascendant while he was governor, so he modified his governing style to be more with the times. If he could have possibly predicted the tea party wave he would have never done half of that stuff, he'd govern as the "Reagan Conservative" he campaigned as when he was running for senate. And as for being driven out, its just not true. If Crist had decided to stay as governor he would have been absolutely safe. McCollum wouldn't have ran because it wasn't his turn and Crist wouldn't have been vulnerable to Scott like McCollum was. He overreached and tried to change his positions too fast and it caught up with him.

As far as I'm concerned, the only person in this thread who should be welcoming Crist's return is Joyce, and only because he's rooting for a native son. For Democrats who are happy about it: I don't know what you're expecting with him. I expect Crist to get more done with the strongly Republican legislature than Scott does. Crist isn't gonna push any of the red meat he throws out to democrats once he's in office. He'll just govern like he did last time: as a populist who will support whatever is best for Charlie.

Anyway, this race is nowhere near over; Its still even money that Scott is reelected on his record and on Crist's skeletons.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »

I just saw an anti-Crist ad ALREADY on TV. It was a bunch of statements by Democrats (Sink, Meek, Karen Thurman, Buckhorn, and Al Gore) on Crist's duplicitous nature and his flip flops. Scott is starting as soon as possible.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 02:01:06 AM »

Doesn't surprise me. This IS Dockery, Florida's #1 moderate hero, we're talking about after all.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »

I don't think Katy Perry's eligible, and besides, does he really want a carpetbagger as his running mate?

He's a carpetbagger himself, so I doubt he wouldn't choose another one.

Born, raised, and went to college in North Carolina. Now running for a House seat representing a county she never lived in.

Birth place: New York, NY

You're an expert on carpetbaggers, aren't you? There's certainly a discussion to be had about carpetbaggers when someone from Thonotosassa moves to Pinellas - a place she's never lived before - to run for a House seat. But there's no room for a discussion with Charlie.

It's FLORIDA. The entire state is carpetbaggers.

This can't be understated. Migrants outnumber native Floridians something like 2 to 1, especially outside North Florida. The only stigma you'll find on carpetbagging here is when it comes from especially blatant opportunism.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »

The kind who believes that the campaign will be worse for Crist than Scott. Scott has a decent record to run on and Crist somehow has more skeletons in the closet than he does. Combine that with a cash advantage and you have an acceptable excuse to releasing a poll showing your candidate down but still in the race.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 01:20:13 AM »

It won't. The only people concerned about future state supreme court appointments are hardline partisans anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies