What themes would emerge if you made an update on your life?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:42:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What themes would emerge if you made an update on your life?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What themes would emerge if you made an update on your life?  (Read 992 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »

Not asking anybody to share anything too personal. Just curious as to what ideas about modern life emerge when you self-reflect. I suspect many won't be so different than those in the Update.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »

My drinking, my women troubles, law school stresses, etc. I don't see it nearly as entertaining as Bushie's life.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »

Not nice ones.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »

The humiliations of toil and the misery of inadequate income.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »

The humiliations of toil and the misery of inadequate income.

That would be far different from the real Update.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »

My pathological social insecurity and self-consciousness, increasing feeling of loneliness, awkward attempts at making connections with people, tormented attitude toward sexuality and related topics, lousy work ethic, uncanny academic success (so far), the thousand different ways in which I manage to waste time, etc.

As you can imagine, it would be a far less depressing read (to decent people) - or a far less entertaining one (to the voyeuristic creeps) - than the Update.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »

I dunno. I'm not particularly willing to share all that much about my engagement past what I've already shared. Other than that, it would mostly focus on my career.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »

Loneliness, mediocrity, self loathing/self importance, paranoia, frequent internal conflict, constant dwelling on pointless philosophical questions over every aspect of my life, etc.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »

My pathological social insecurity and self-consciousness, increasing feeling of loneliness, awkward attempts at making connections with people, tormented attitude toward sexuality and related topics, lousy work ethic, uncanny academic success (so far), the thousand different ways in which I manage to waste time, etc.
Loneliness, mediocrity, self loathing/self importance, paranoia, frequent internal conflict, constant dwelling on pointless philosophical questions over every aspect of my life, etc.

All of these, with a religious theme to it.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »

My classes, my tacky jokes, exercise, my judgementalness, my obsession with pointless map-making, how easy my coursework would be if I actually spent adequate time on it.  
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »

Jesus Christ this thread is depressing. At least Bushie puts on a happy face when he regales us with tales of his horrors.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »

Nobody else will own up to financial and weight issues? Those are big things I struggle with. I would think those would be very common problems. Or are they simply more taboo than the more vague angst we have seen so far?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »

The boredom of planning a wedding, freaking out about being responsible for the child that will hopefully follow 9-12 months later.

Maybe a bit of church politics stuff that only Nathan, Scott and TJ will find interesting.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »

Melancholia.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »

Nobody else will own up to financial and weight issues? Those are big things I struggle with. I would think those would be very common problems. Or are they simply more taboo than the more vague angst we have seen so far?

I'm actually trying to lose weight right now. Tongue

As for financial issues, they might come into play in a couple years.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »

The boredom of planning a wedding, freaking out about being responsible for the child that will hopefully follow 9-12 months later.

Maybe a bit of church politics stuff that only Nathan, Scott and TJ will find interesting.
You're getting married? Congrats! If the planning is dull, let your fiancée do it or just have a simple ceremony that doesn't require much planning. It's your celebration. Do it in a manner that makes you happy.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »

This is a forum of teenage rich kids, ofc that won't be an issue (speaking as one of those teenage rich kids).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 06:58:29 PM »

This is a forum of teenage rich kids, ofc that won't be an issue (speaking as one of those teenage rich kids).
Enjoy being oblivious to money while you can. In this case, ignorance truly is bliss. It's a tough world out there.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 06:59:40 PM »

As you can imagine, it would be a far less depressing read (to decent people) - or a far less entertaining one (to the voyeuristic creeps) - than the Update.

This with some stuff related to my faith life and various crushes on Nordic and Altaic women.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 08:28:36 PM »

Cyclical variations in goals and expectations, over thinking of every possible angle of social dilemmas, personal life TMI in excessive detail, "joys" of working retail
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »

You're getting married? Congrats! If the planning is dull, let your fiancée do it or just have a simple ceremony that doesn't require much planning. It's your celebration. Do it in a manner that makes you happy.

Fiancée is doing most of the planning thank goodness! My main job is chasing down groomsmen to get them fitted for tuxedos Tongue
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 12:20:49 AM »

My update would just be sad and depressing. Although it can be good to get your thoughts out.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »

trying to fight for my political, religious and personal opinions, also I would probably loose some friends too. So good news everyone, definitely not gonna see an Update from me.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »

Musings on philosophy and religion, combined with the triumph of the willful and domineering over the limp-wristed and un-motivated. Sort of a quasi-fascist, open to religion "Atlas Shrugged".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies