Did Southwest Virginia surprise you last night? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:26:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Did Southwest Virginia surprise you last night? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Southwest Virginia surprise you last night?  (Read 4622 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »
« edited: November 14, 2013, 05:51:28 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Well of course they were. Not all of WV is coalfield. Though a long-term analysis is good as it neatly demonstrates the main reason for what has happened: the Democratic Party's abandonment of redistribution, which was the sole positive reason for voting the Democratic ticket.

Could you please elaborate as to what "redistribution" means in this context?

There's something strange about coal country's embrace of the Republican Party. This is a party that refused to investigate the frequent occurrence of black lung cases in the 21st century once they took control of Congress. This is a party that would gladly shove coal miners into a meat grinder if they received a six-figure payment for each death and yet the Democrats' new cosmopolitan image is toxic to the point that coal miners embraced Mitt Romney, out of all people. I must be living in a sublime world of dreams, this is all so strange yet all so familiar.

Listening to the children of urban academics, lawyers, PR men, quants and accountants discuss politics reminds me why a self-respecting blue collar worker would never vote for the Democratic Party. These urban professionals, who are the core of the party, look upon those with high school educations as if they're ignorant subhumans. The classism is apparent in every mannerism of these people. I'm just thankful that a few Democratic bastions of the proletariat still exist. At the very least, Mexican-American agricultural workers and their children will wave the flag of the working class in the party for the next century.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »

I guess that most of the real miners don't vote. And there are 'cultural' reasons, etc.

Check out the results of actual mining towns. They're almost as brutal. I think Democrats are finally dead in this part of the world. I guess I can still look to Duluth if I want my dose of blue collar leftism but it's a sad time to be a Democrat who identifies with the working class. Even if these are the same guys that would call me a beaner, I have far more respect for them than I have for the grade-grubber who wants to get a MBA.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:58:53 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/in-rural-kentucky-health-care-debate-takes-back-seat-as-people-sign-up-for-insurance/2013/11/23/449dc6e0-5465-11e3-9e2c-e1d01116fd98_story.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The chief reason I'm a proud Democrat and Obama supporter is due to the passage of ACA. Most of these counties have life expectancies comparable to developing nations like Pakistan and India. I think the expansion of health insurance should be transformative, even if doesn't redeem Obama's image.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies