Northern Ireland Poll...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:15:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Northern Ireland Poll...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Northern Ireland Poll...  (Read 4422 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2005, 04:14:14 PM »

DUP 28% (+5.5)
UUP 16% (-10.8 )
Sinn Fein 20% (-1.7)
SDLP 20% (-1.0)
Alliance 4% (+1.0)

Change are from 2001

Belfast Telegraph
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 04:19:52 PM »

I have qualms with that poll. Where on earth are Catholic voters going if both Sinn Fein and the SDLP are loosing votes! There is a very slight possibility the UUP would take a few, but they've went down big style. Catholic voters can't just disappear.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 04:21:57 PM »

I have qualms with that poll. Where on earth are Catholic voters going if both Sinn Fein and the SDLP are loosing votes! There is a very slight possibility the UUP would take a few, but they've went down big style. Catholic voters can't just disappear.

Margin of error and a rise in the Alliance vote I'd guess. I'll have a look to see if I can find some more detailed results
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 04:26:04 PM »

Full results here

Note that the SDLP has risen by 3pts since the Assembly Election
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 04:35:43 PM »

Interesting.  It's ditressing to see the DUP's numbers go up, while the UUP drops.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 04:50:48 PM »

Interesting.  It's ditressing to see the DUP's numbers go up, while the UUP drops.

Distressing it certainly is (and on a uniform swing the UUP would be pretty much wiped out: they've already lost Lagan Valley due to Donaldson's defection, and they'd lose East Antrim, South Antrim and Upper Bann (Upper Bann is Trimble's seat btw) to the DUP and South Belfast to the SDLP. They'd be left with just North Down and if the Alliance put up a candidate there...) I'm no fan of the UUP but I find the DUP sinister in the extreme.
It'll be interesting to see how the PUP does actually.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 04:58:47 PM »

Distressing it certainly is (and on a uniform swing the UUP would be pretty much wiped out: they've already lost Lagan Valley due to Donaldson's defection, and they'd lose East Antrim, South Antrim and Upper Bann (Upper Bann is Trimble's seat btw) to the DUP and South Belfast to the SDLP. They'd be left with just North Down and if the Alliance put up a candidate there...) I'm no fan of the UUP but I find the DUP sinister in the extreme.
It'll be interesting to see how the PUP does actually.

I like Sinn Fein's objectives but not it's motives, but I utterly despise the DUP.  Hopefully, people will see the light and vote Alliance, or at least UUP.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 11:24:37 PM »

Perhaps the sample has been cooked like many polling groups do here.  Shortly before the election in November, polling samples would be heavily weighted to one party or the other.  It was madness.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 11:36:26 PM »

explain these parties. I know DUP is Paisley's nutters and Sinn Fein is the pro-IRA group. So what are the rest?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 11:11:08 AM »

So there are no liberal Protestant parties? Bleh. I guess I'd have to vote for Alliance.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 11:16:02 AM »

So there are no liberal Protestant parties? Bleh. I guess I'd have to vote for Alliance.

The PUP (linked to the UVF) are quite leftwing economically. Not really your type though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 11:21:43 AM »

what's wrong with them? Do they occasionally side with Paisley or something?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 11:55:02 AM »

...linked to the UVF...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 12:20:30 PM »

I haven't a clue, who I would support if I lived in Northern Ireland.

Since I'm a Protestant, I'd certainly be a unionist. Since I've no love for the British Conservative Party, I'd be less inclined to support the OUP. Since I'm working class, I'd be more inclined to support the DUP or PUP - but I'm a political moderate, so that rules them out!

Hell would freeze over before I supported Sinn Fein, which leaves me with the SDLP because I'm a member of the British Labour Party - but I'm not a nationalist, which leaves the Alliance, which I wouldn't support because there is slim chance that they'd be my MP

Fortunately, I don't have to decide as I don't live there. Phew!

Dave
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 03:55:15 PM »

...linked to the UVF...

LOL...Seems odd to say it but I like Ervine a lot more than Paisley and Trimble's party.  P.U.P. is really just a one man show though.  They barely run anyone.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 04:09:24 PM »

LOL...Seems odd to say it but I like Ervine a lot more than Paisley and Trimble's party. 

Same thing here actually. Things have come to a pretty pass when a party linked to the UVF is in many ways the most *moderate* unionist party...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True. Ervine seems to have a fairly solid level of support in East Belfast (around 10% election after election), but other than that the PUP is basically non-existent. Still he keeps Robinson's majority down and that's the main thing Wink

I'd like to see some form of non-sectarian Labour party re-established in Northern Ireland... they'd do quite well in East Belfast methinks.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 04:27:53 PM »

LOL...Seems odd to say it but I like Ervine a lot more than Paisley and Trimble's party.

Same thing here actually. Things have come to a pretty pass when a party linked to the UVF is in many ways the most *moderate* unionist party...

True. Ervine seems to have a fairly solid level of support in East Belfast (around 10% election after election), but other than that the PUP is basically non-existent. Still he keeps Robinson's majority down and that's the main thing Wink

I'd like to see some form of non-sectarian Labour party re-established in Northern Ireland... they'd do quite well in East Belfast methinks.

Depends what brand of Laubour- Tony Blairs Labour party would definitely not take hold.  Both sides have been so influenced by the hold divide and conquer tactics that sectarianism is almost ingrained in these neighborhoods.  Ive been to West and East Belfast and these places are $hitholes.- same goes for Derry.  Odd for me in that I had never really seen a white ghetto.  The sad thing, for me at least,  is that Protestant dissenters like Wolfetone used to be the most radical and now that community has morphed into that prick Paisley.  There are many culprits but I particlarly blame people like Edward Carson who were able to stir the fears of the populace for political gain and divide the communities. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 05:15:57 PM »

Depends what brand of Laubour- Tony Blairs Labour party would definitely not take hold.

I was thinking something like the Labour parties in place like Sunderland or Barnsley

There was a report a while ago that said that over 90% of working class areas in Belfast are segregated... worse it's ever been apparently.

True. What's very depressing is that fact that East Belfast used to be a fairly prosperous working class area. Northern Ireland's economy has literally collapsed in the past 30 odd years.

Carson was the one that prosecuted Wilde IIRC
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 10:15:14 PM »

oh what the hey, I guess I'd just vote SDLP. I'd rather have a leftist Catholic government than Paisley's nutters.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2005, 03:13:21 AM »

on second thought, I think I'd vote strategically.

I'd vote SDLP as long as the unionists were sure to hold control of the government. If it looked like the nationalists could win and it secede to join Ireland, I'd go with the UUP.

The devil would be looking for a snowplow the day I would vote for the DUP or Sinn Fein.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2005, 03:34:10 AM »

I'd probably back the SDLP, based on the fact that they're a PSE party.

That poll is bad news for the UUP though...
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 07:01:52 PM »

What do you think will happen in the next 20 years in Northern Ireland? Also, what is the chance that the political parties will still be linked to UK parties if independence or unification with the Irish occurs?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 09:08:36 PM »

What do you think will happen in the next 20 years in Northern Ireland? Also, what is the chance that the political parties will still be linked to UK parties if independence or unification with the Irish occurs?

I'm only guessing, but the trend lately has been towards the extremists on each side and to that end, I see the DUP especially growing stronger.  All of this could change of course if the tension drops just a knoch.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 11:19:34 PM »

on second thought, I think I'd vote strategically.

I'd vote SDLP as long as the unionists were sure to hold control of the government. If it looked like the nationalists could win and it secede to join Ireland, I'd go with the UUP.

The devil would be looking for a snowplow the day I would vote for the DUP or Sinn Fein.

What would be so terribly wrong if all of Ireland was united, provided it was by peaceful means? 

Basically, I'm in favor of a united Ireland, though Ulster's lagging economy would drag the Republic's down, much like the former East Germany has been a milstone around the Federal Republic's neck.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2005, 11:40:00 PM »

If I lived in Northern Ireland, I would much rather be under the British government than the Irish government, since the Republic of Ireland is waaaaaay too socially conservative. They only legalized divorce 10 years ago! And birth control is still difficult to get in some areas.

Besides, I'm a Protestant.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies