Condi won't rule out a run for the White House.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Condi won't rule out a run for the White House.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Condi won't rule out a run for the White House.  (Read 4842 times)
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2005, 01:50:36 AM »

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050311-115948-2015r.htm

This interview might have just put her over the top for me... Her views on abortion and my own are almost identical.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 01:53:38 AM »

Run, Condi, run! Roll Eyes

She's not going anywhere.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:58:19 AM »

She wouldn't win any primaries, I'll tell you that.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 02:58:32 AM »

She has never held elected office, no one would care if she was not a black woman, and she could never win the primary anyway. She's going nowhere.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 03:09:19 AM »

Well, sounds like she is running to me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 03:19:08 AM »

The last president to have never held elected office previously and actually the last candidate who got anywhere was Eisenhower.

Condi is not remotely on the level of Eisenhower.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 03:21:16 AM »

But she's a black woman.  If you don't vote for her, you're racist and sexist.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 03:40:13 AM »

But she's a black woman.  If you don't vote for her, you're racist and sexist.

LOL, that's true. A while ago, some bastard called me a racist for not supporting Condi. Very stupid.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 06:32:23 AM »

LOL, that's true. A while ago, some bastard called me a racist for not supporting Condi. Very stupid.

It's sad, but the press really can't bear to ever criticize a black Republican.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 07:02:31 AM »

Actually, the press isn't supposed to criticize anyone.
skybridge
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 07:03:11 AM »

So what? The Prohibition party will nominate someone too.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 07:03:45 AM »

Um, huh?
skybridge
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 07:18:57 AM »

My point is that someone's announced candidacy doesn't have to mean anything.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 08:45:27 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2005, 08:47:28 AM by dazzleman »

You're smoking some really good s**t.  Black Republicans are vilified in the press because they don't have the view that a black person is "supposed" to have.  I have the highest respect for Condi and other black Republicans who are able to think for themselves and take the abuse they take for exercising this fundamental right.

I think Condi is just playing a cat and mouse game right now.  I love the woman and would vote for her in a minute.  But she's never held elective office before, which is a big barrier.

I think she probably feels that all the presidential speculation gives her power and enhances interest in what she is doing, so why shut it down prematurely?  I really don't think she'll run though.  But I'd love to see her run and win.  She sure beats the Hildebeast in my opinion.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 04:05:53 PM »

You're smoking some really good s**t.  Black Republicans are vilified in the press because they don't have the view that a black person is "supposed" to have.  I have the highest respect for Condi and other black Republicans who are able to think for themselves and take the abuse they take for exercising this fundamental right.
I guess you have the highest respect for white Democrats too?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 04:12:25 PM »

The last president to have never held elected office previously and actually the last candidate who got anywhere was Eisenhower.

True, but in the past, it was very common for Secretaries of State to become President.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 04:14:02 PM »

True, but in the past, it was very common for Secretaries of State to become President.

yeah, in the past. Not to mention she's only been Sec of State for 2 months, therefore she has no sort of record at all and her record could easily end up terrible.

She's going nowhere.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 04:45:54 PM »

yeah, in the past. Not to mention she's only been Sec of State for 2 months, therefore she has no sort of record at all and her record could easily end up terrible.

She's going nowhere.

You're just scared out of your mind and in denial Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2005, 04:52:44 PM »

She could never win any GOP primaries - she's black and according to this article Pro Choice!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2005, 04:57:18 PM »

She could never win any GOP primaries - she's black and according to this article Pro Choice!
She isn't pro-choice, she has 'moderate' views, i.e. for parental notification and banning partial-birth abortion... the gist I got is that she hasn't totally made up her mind on the rest of the stuff.

Rest assured, if she sought the nomination, she'd gradually gravitate to being more and more anti-abortion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2005, 05:19:13 PM »

She isn't pro-choice, she has 'moderate' views, i.e. for parental notification and banning partial-birth abortion... the gist I got is that she hasn't totally made up her mind on the rest of the stuff.

Rest assured, if she sought the nomination, she'd gradually gravitate to being more and more anti-abortion.

Sounds reasonable, but she's still black - that's not going to fly in a GOP primary.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2005, 05:20:44 PM »

Sounds reasonable, but she's still black - that's not going to fly in a GOP primary.
I agree with you there.  Look at Alan Keyes.  Republicans only like him when his opponent(s) are black.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2005, 09:31:22 PM »

I guess you have the highest respect for white Democrats too?
You must be logged in to read this quote.

What's that got to do with anything?

The fact is, a white person can hold whatever opinion he/she wants without being vilified for it.  No, I don't like the Democrats, but I don't question a person's ethnic identity for being a Democrats.

Blacks have the burden of being told they're "oreos" or whatever stupid word people come up with if they don't toe the politically correct Democratic party line.

Colin Powell was called a "house slave" and Condi has been called worse.  Just because they're black, they're not allowed to think for themselves?

People who really believed in equality of the races would not criticize blacks for thinking for themselves.  Most people who say they want to help blacks simply want to control them, and their votes.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 02:48:07 AM »

Actually Keyes did pretty well in the 2000 Primary, considering he's fairly crazy and not even remotely close to being qualified for high political office. And his opponents were all white.

But I digress. Rice has no business being considered a legit Presidential option for Republicans... she's never been elected to anything and has just zero domestic policy experience.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2005, 03:19:20 AM »

I hate it when people criticize minorities for being Republicans ("you're a slave!") or Democrats ("you're just following all the other minorities and can't think you yourself!"). It's their right to hold political opinions without getting that crap. It's irrelevant. I can't believe people still lurk on that.

The problem with Condi is that she is five things:

1. Not very conservative.
2. A woman.
3. Black.
4. Inexperienced.
5. Not really a leader.

Some may object to the second and third items, or the fourth for the matter, but polls do show that a big chunk of Republicans simply would refuse to vote for a woman (many Democrats do, too, but not as many as Republicans).

While #3 is unfortunate, I'd wager there are maybe 5% of people who would be a lot less likely to vote for a black person. That can mean everything in a close election.

As for #5, I respect Rice in many ways, but I do not think she is a leader as much as a "team player" kind of person. She does not have the presence of a leader, nor the charisma to become one.

Although I am not all that fond of her, I wish she was a viable GOP candidate because I want to see more moderates like her get nominations. But, for the above reasons, she is not, and would not be great in the general, either.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies