Condi won't rule out a run for the White House.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:18:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Condi won't rule out a run for the White House.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Condi won't rule out a run for the White House.  (Read 4844 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2005, 03:26:37 AM »

Dr. Rice is brilliantly intelligent and clealy knows what she is talking about: She's a technocrat, and one of the best around.

As much as I dislike this fact, its true: Technocrats don't get to be President.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2005, 08:36:19 AM »

Dr. Rice is brilliantly intelligent and clealy knows what she is talking about: She's a technocrat, and one of the best around.

As much as I dislike this fact, its true: Technocrats don't get to be President.

I think you're probably right.  Though her performance in Europe showed that she could be formidable politically.  But there's still the lack of any domestic policy experience.

If Hillary's the Democratic nominee, and Rice is (unlikely) the Republican nominee, conservatives who don't want to vote for a woman, or a black for that matter, will have to get over that real fast.  I think your typical racist redneck would take Condi Rice over Hillary.  If she ran against a southern white male, that's when her being a black woman could be a disadvantage.

But I think a woman running as a Republican, rather than a Democratic, has a built-in advantage because almost all the people who would vote for a woman simply because she's a woman come from the Democratic side.  And those on the Republican side who have the greatest reservations about voting for women tend to be the ones who hate the Democrats the most, so they may just vote for her anyway.

Ditto with a black candidate.  A certain percentage of blacks would vote for a black candidate of either party, especially for president.  That cuts into a vote that the Democrats desperately need.  And once again, the Republicans most reluctant to vote for a black candidate are the furthest from swing voters, and could overcome their objections, especially if the Democratic opponent is Hillary.

Having said all that, I don't think Rice will run.  I wish she had more political and domestic policy experience, because I think it would be a wonderful thing for the country to have a moderate-conservative black woman of her background.  It would sure beat having a wretched feminazi like Hillary.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2005, 11:56:38 PM »

I'll bet that the next black Senator will be a Republican.  Look for Lt Gov Steele to run for Senate in MD, and win. 

I don't know where opebo gets his info, but this is one white Southerner who has no problem voting for a black candidate to any offce whatsoever--provided he/she is conservative.

I don't see black Democrat candidates winning Presidential primaries either, not since 1988 at least.  You guys had 2 black candidates in '04 and you avoided them in droves.  Does that make all Democrats racists?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2005, 11:59:54 PM »

I'll bet that the next black Senator will be a Republican.  Look for Lt Gov Steele to run for Senate in MD, and win. 

I don't know where opebo gets his info, but this is one white Southerner who has no problem voting for a black candidate to any offce whatsoever--provided he/she is conservative.

I don't see black Democrat candidates winning Presidential primaries either, not since 1988 at least.  You guys had 2 black candidates in '04 and you avoided them in droves.  Does that make all Democrats racists?

Obama will easily win the primary when his time comes.
Mosely Braun and Al Sharpton were toast because everyone knew they'd lose the general election.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 12:08:24 AM »

Braun was a former Senator from the very same state as Obama.  Why was she regarded as a non-candidate?  Why would she lose the General if all good Democrats were to vote for her?  Are you saying that Democrats would vote against Braun in a General election because she is black?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 12:12:32 AM »

Braun was a former Senator from the very same state as Obama.  Why was she regarded as a non-candidate?  Why would she lose the General if all good Democrats were to vote for her?  Are you saying that Democrats would vote against Braun in a General election because she is black?

Because she had only been in one term, lost her reelection and was scandal plagued.

Steele will not be senator because:

1-He wants to run for governor in 2010
2-He would lose to any competant Democratic candidate if he did run
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2005, 10:21:47 PM »

If an unborn is a human life, then Condi missed the point about abortion.  No one who believes that life starts in the womb could dare argue "I don't want the government forcing its views" or "I'm a libertarian on this issue."

If an unborn is NOT a human life, then obviously there is nothing immoral about abortion.  In this case, there is no need to invoke the "I'm a libertarian" excuse or to describe abortion as an "extremely difficult moral issue" which she approaches as "a deeply religious person."

Either it is or is not a human life.  If it is a life, then obviously that life is worth government intervention to protect.  If it is not a life, then "morals" or "deep religion" have nothing to do with it.

Her arguments are a red herring, and she has lost my vote.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies